PDA

View Full Version : iesetup.exe - entry point not found

Espresso_Addict
13-10-2008, 02:03 PM
My daughter has purchased a new hp all in one printer and it requires her to update her service pack (currently has sp1 installed)

When she opened the automatic updates and clicked to install the following error message opens

iesetup.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

Any suggestions as to how I fix it?

Cheers
Grant

SolMiester
13-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Sounds like Internet explorer is fubared (probably some toolbar add-in). perhaps SP2 or 3 will help, though I guess you will have to download it 1st.

Unfortunately, MS wont allow you to use any browser except there IE to go to Windows update.

I would use firefox for the mag CD, download sp2, then try internet explorer again to see if you can get windows updates running.....

It may even be a virus stopping the browser functioning.....though I am not surprised when you are only running SP1....

Espresso_Addict
13-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I'll give it a whurl and see what happens
Cheers
Grant

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Umm you can use FF, to go to the Windowsupdate site

Just install the IEtab addon and go there

Greven
13-10-2008, 05:49 PM
iesetup.exe sounds like spyware to me. What anti-virus and anti-spyware software is on the computer?

I suggest installing & running spybot before installing service pack 2 or 3

feersumendjinn
13-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Definitely spyware!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/iesetup.exe-15553.html

davidsg99
25-12-2008, 08:42 AM
This does seem to be some type of virus or spyware. I have tried using Spybot, Adaware, Avast and Superantispyware to no avail. IE does not work. It only creates shortcuts on the desktop when launched. Loading Firefox will give you access to the Internet again. However, this error does mess with other components in windows like printing. Seems like Spyware and Virus protection programs have are not aware of this one yet.

Best bet is to reload your machine. Painful but you will have a fast clean machine again.

John D
26-12-2008, 10:16 AM
This site may help you

[URL="http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Internet_Email/Web_Browsers/Internet_Explorer/Q_22858221.html"]