PDA

View Full Version : epm-dm.exe problem

Neptune83
13-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Acer Laptop Extensa 2300 XP sp3:

Over the last few weeks on booting encounter the above (epm-dm.exe) saying "failed to initialize properly and must be shut down". The end result is that I am not able to access the Acer Power management area. I have tried to get some lucid advice via Google but although there are hundreds of references (mainly to reg cleaners - I already have two) there is no specific advice. I have accessed the Acer Customer Service and received one of those mindless bits of advice to either (a) go back to a Restore Point or, if that doesn't work, (b) reformat the HD and re-install. There is an Acer help phone number, but as I don't speak fluent Urdu I don't think I'll bother.

I have done all the usual things many times - reboot, reg cleaners, antivirus, defrag, Windows Live Online Safety Scanner, etc - nothing works.

Seems to me (computer competence level of maybe 6/10) that there must somehow have been a small problem (?? a missing DLL??) that is keeping the program from initializing - I cannot imagine it being that difficult to fix.

Noting else has been affected over several weeks - just cannot open the Power Management area which is a bit of a nuisance with a laptop.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Post a hijackthis log

Scan it with malwarebytes