PDA

View Full Version : Nero 6 wont uninstall.

*Sparky*
12-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi.
I'm running Vista Ultimate.
Nero 6 is installed. I recently purchased a new DVD burner and Nero 7 is on the disc. When I try and install #7, it trys to uninstall #6 first. After the mandatory reboot, #6 has gone but #7 wont install because the dvd drive has gone too.
The only option I can do to get the dvd drive back is use system restore but that puts #6 back and the cycle starts again.
I have tried installing the drive separately after the #6 uninstall but no go there either.
Has anybody experienced this sort of thing before or have any idea how to fix it?
Much appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2008, 10:37 PM
What version of 7 is it?

I'm pretty sure you have to install 7.5.9.0 I think (or higher), for it to be compatible with Vista.

Sounds like 7 maybe the OEM version (it'll probably only work with this burner).

And 6 probably came with a previous burner? If it did, it probably wont work with the burner you have now anyway

And if Nero 6 does install, it wont detect the burner, if this is the case (If it came with a previous burner, its tied to the previous burner).

gary67
13-10-2008, 06:00 AM
have you thought about using something different to Nero like burnaware free or cdburnerxp (which is not only for XP despite it's name)

*Sparky*
13-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I had to add "COM Surrogate" to the Data Execution Prevention part of Performance Options to make Nero 6 run properly in the first place. Will removing it from DEP enable it to uninstall completely? Maybe?

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I doubt version 6 will work at all. Even if you manage to install it

You'll need the version I posted, (or higher / V8 or 9, which arent free), for it to be completely compat with Vista

You could try adding com surrogate, but I wouldnt install Nero 6 again

If it wont uninstall, use ccleaner, delete its folders, then use the registry option in ccleaner to remove the rest of it.

There is Nero Clean Tool on the Nero site, but I'm not too sure if it removes Nero 6

Misty
13-10-2008, 08:54 PM
have you thought about using something different to Nero like burnaware free or cdburnerxp (which is not only for XP despite it's name)
I tried burning a disc on cdburnerxp a couple of nights ago and it took 23 mins to do the encoding, then said it would be 25 mins for the burning. At that point I gave up.

Went downstairs to the PC and used Nero and it took less than 5 mins total.

Now I know that the 25 mins quoted by pcburnerxp for burning may have been an initial guesstime............however, even if the time had come down dramatically, it is still very substantially a time more than using Nero.

Pcburnerxp is no-doubt great if time not a problem or money is !
Misty :D

*Sparky*
13-10-2008, 08:57 PM
#6 is working ok. The problem I'm having is trying to get rid of it to put #7 on without removing the dvd drive.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 09:16 PM
What do you mean by removing the dvd drive??

Do you mean when Nero 6 is installed, it doesnt detect the dvd you have now?

Thats probably because v6 was for another burner, you no longer have (and the serial you have / had for V6 is tied to the old burner). Which is why it doesnt detect the new burner.

I have no idea why you need v6 to use version 7.

It should work with Version 7 (if its 7.5.9.0 or above)

*Sparky*
13-10-2008, 11:11 PM
What do you mean by removing the dvd drive??

Do you mean when Nero 6 is installed, it doesnt detect the dvd you have now?

Thats probably because v6 was for another burner, you no longer have (and the serial you have / had for V6 is tied to the old burner). Which is why it doesnt detect the new burner.

I have no idea why you need v6 to use version 7.

It should work with Version 7 (if its 7.5.9.0 or above)

I have Nero 6 installed and working fine. I bought a new dvd drive with Nero 7 on the disk. When I try to install Nero 7, it has to remove Nero 6 first, but in the process, deletes the dvd drive, therefore I cant instal Nero 7.
My problem is: why do i have to do a system restore to get my dvd drive back, when that also puts Nero 6 back, which is what I was trying to get rid of.

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2008, 06:46 AM
I have no idea why it does that. Either install a later version like I posted, or use something else.

Whats the brand / model of the burner? And is it IDE or SATA?

If IDE, what else is connected with it on the IDE connection?

*Sparky*
14-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I cant install a later version. It trys to uninstall the previous version (#6) and the problem occurs.
Its a SATA Samsung SH-S223 Super - writemaster.

Driftwood
15-10-2008, 08:11 AM
At this stage you may have to uninstall all traces of nero. Delete all related files & folders & run CCleaner. Then you can install the compatable software if you wish.
You don't need Nero anyway, Visa will write to DVD.