PDA

View Full Version : RDP not working on fresh XP Pro install

chiefnz
12-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi guys,

Due to a recent power surge I had the misfortune of losing my hard drive... luckily I had a backup from just 2 nights before :thumbs: which I found did not work :annoyed: Somehow the Acronis image appeared to have been corrupted despite several integrity checks and having the image stored a on a seperate hard disk.

Anyways long story short... I've completed a re-install of XP Pro and all my applications etc and all is well.... well not all.

My RDP isn't working... this is the message I get when I try to start RDP either from START--->RUN--->mstsc or via start menu accessories blah blah

The pre-release version of Remote Desktop connection has expired. To download the full version of Remote Desktop Connection, go to Windows Update or contact your system administrator.

Ok so downloaded the file which is called MSRDPCLI.exe and I run it but then I get the following message...

Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system already has a built-in version. See All Programs\Accessories\Communications\Remote Desktop Connection on your Start Menu.

This is the same XP Pro CD I used for the previous installed which got fried and I didn't have any problems with RDP then. I can connect to my server and other computers via RDP from my laptop... no issues there.

So now I'm stumped as to why this is happening... RDP is installed by default in XP Pro and it's obviously there in one way or another as per 1st error message.... so WTF is going on?

Any help would be appreciated... I just unplugged my KVM from the server so that I can utilise dual monitors on my main box... but if this keeps up I'm gonna have to set it up again I guess.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Have you got a PC with SP2 on it??

What SP is on this?

If you have, try this (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3149944&SiteID=17)

Get the following files from an xp sp2 machine (xp or home should be ok).

a. mstscax.dll

b. mstsc.exe (both should go in system32 folder)

2. Do this on safe mode otherwise windows will just recreate the files even if you replace them or delete them (I just find out about this)

note: I got my files from a home xp sp2 machine and the solution worked fine on a xp pro sp3 installation.

Youre not using a pre-release / beta version of SP3 / a SP are you?

Do a search for these files, if you want them, let me know, I'll email them to you (XP SP3)

chiefnz
12-10-2008, 11:47 PM
As far as I'm a ware I'm not using a pre-release/beta version of SP3... I found the same info you did... I'm thinking about uninstalling SP3 then re-installing it again via Windows Update...

I do have those files... thanks for the tip about Safe Mode... I wasn't aware of the recopy Windows does.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers,

chiefnz
13-10-2008, 10:50 AM
All sorted Speedy... from what I can tell the SP3 install I did had a pre-release version of RDP...

I uninstalled SP3 then did a re-install using Microsoft Update...

All is well with RDP now.

Thanks again mate :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Cool, good to hear you fixed it :thumbs: