Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Pass, thats whats been happening according to their network status

JJJJJ
12-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Same here. No o'seas connection.

Netsukeninja
12-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, it must just be xnet cause I am fine for international sites. (Telecom)

lakewoodlady
12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, and they don't seem to have the monthly draw anymore, Xcite.

supergran
12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
It is actually making Telecom look tempting.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, I would change, but since most of the other ISP's charge you for more crap ($99 just to join - ie: Ihug).

And $10 for home phone whatever it is (ie: Ihug and Xtra). Thats the main reason I joined Xnet. You dont pay for either of the above

And other ISP's probably charge you for the data, you dont use, which Xnet doesnt

Andy1
12-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Really disappointing network for reliability and performance lately. Forget about using the NET after hours, seems that it's not a 24 hour service anymore with them. I liked the lack of 12 month contract, reasonable data charges and no need to switch tolls. I'm not a really heavy downloader or torrent person. Any other ISPs with similar deals?

lakewoodlady
12-10-2008, 06:29 PM
C'mon Xnet, you're gonna lose customers over this, if it doesn't get sorted soon!!!
LL :annoyed:

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2008, 06:33 PM
The other / main thing Xnet have to fix is slowness / slow downloads, from overseas

Its getting worse

Cicero
12-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I repeat,phew I nearly joined them,Clear is good.

Netsukeninja
12-10-2008, 09:00 PM
With the school holidays over I suspect international traffic speed should increase.

I'm not sure how good they are but have a look at http://www.snap.net.nz/home/broadband/

robbyp
13-10-2008, 12:12 PM
C'mon Xnet, you're gonna lose customers over this, if it doesn't get sorted soon!!!
LL :annoyed:

I'm getting ready to leave xnet after billing issues, and the fact that they have ignored my emails to them. That is the reason I left slingshot. They have definately gone downhill, and these speed issues are a nail in the coffin . Telecom are tempting, especially with full speed/fullspeed and adsl 2+ which work out cheaper than xnet if you have your tolls with them. The only advantage of xnet is you only get billed for the data you use.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Well, I got a response from Xnet. Replies below

Thank you for your email in regards to International bandwidth concerns.

The fact of the matter is we are actively trying to improve service for everyone (standard & torrent users) after the midnight period. As with many things they sometimes get worse before they get better, hopefully an improvement will be seen shortly.

You may want to review your current data usage and look at your available options.

And this, to do with this post (international sites went down)

There was a minor outage in the weekend and it looks like you were affected by this, my apologies.

And this

We are experiencing international congestion during peak times and midnight-8am , I would suggest running some local speedtests at
Speedtest (http://xnet.co.nz/speedtest) when you are having issues, and when it's running OK.

This way we can determine whether the congestion is just international or whether it's somewhere further down the line, ie in your area.

Our operations team are actively working on improving the international performance, more bandwidth is going to be added soon and they've been making network tweaks as well.

Saint Huck
13-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I phoned them a week or so ago because I was only getting International download speeds of about 150 kbs. They said that they were aware of the problem and would eb increasing the International data capacity (or something like that) in the first couple of weeks in October but he couldn't be precise.
He aslo said they need to put prioritieson the data so that torrent users don't get the same priorit as just normal surfers but that seemed to be more his personal opinion than the official line.

Since the first 2 weeks of October is up tomorrow they seemt o be running out of time to do what they said they'd be doing :illogical

robbyp
13-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I phoned them a week or so ago because I was only getting International download speeds of about 150 kbs. They said that they were aware of the problem and would eb increasing the International data capacity (or something like that) in the first couple of weeks in October but he couldn't be precise.
He aslo said they need to put prioritieson the data so that torrent users don't get the same priorit as just normal surfers but that seemed to be more his personal opinion than the official line.

Since the first 2 weeks of October is up tomorrow they seemt o be running out of time to do what they said they'd be doing :illogical

I don't use torrents, and get the speed problems with normal website browsing. This is the same thing that happened with slingshot before I left them.

Cicero
13-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Ironic people are talking of moving to Telecom.....

Greven
13-10-2008, 05:35 PM
With the school holidays over I suspect international traffic speed should increase.

I'm not sure how good they are but have a look at http://www.snap.net.nz/home/broadband/

All my customers that are on snap are quite happy with them, but I think that Xnet is the only ISP that only charges you for what you use.

I recall xnet saying that they will not give the torrent plan lower priority, so they may have painted themselves into a corner there.

beeswax34
13-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Maybe Telecom is launching a DDoS attack on Xnet? :lol:

JJJJJ
13-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Ironic people are talking of moving to Telecom.....

Move to t/com. Never,never, never.

I'll stick with xnet and see if things improve.
My only complaint is with downloading from europe and usa. They get very slow at times.
South Africa is impossable most of the time. At the moment Speedtest.net can't even connect to Johannasberg

robbyp
13-10-2008, 08:08 PM
All my customers that are on snap are quite happy with them, but I think that Xnet is the only ISP that only charges you for what you use.

I recall xnet saying that they will not give the torrent plan lower priority, so they may have painted themselves into a corner there.

Slingshot do too, or at least they did, but xnets system is better for that. I thought Orcon did to, but maybe not now after looking at their website. Orcon are expensive, they used to be one of the cheapest.

Telecoms new plans are a lot better than many of the their competitors at the moment. I have never been with telecom as an ISP, so it will not be as though I am switching back to them.