PDA

View Full Version : Update on Computer Lockup

MPG
10-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi Guys

An update on daughter's PC. Succeeded in reformating hdd and reinstalling saftware. All was sweet until I came to set up an internet connection. Bingo! Back to the machine getting as far as the desktop on boot up then locking. When I talked to our daughter she said that it originally locked up when her ex tried to set up an internet connection.

I can feel a weekend task coming on :annoyed: Can anyone suggest what might be causing the problem? Better still would be a solution. If necessary I will reformat and reinstall but where to from there. She does want to connect to the internet.

To recap: OS is MS XP Home SP3, MB is NF-CK804, Athlon 64 1.8 GHz, 1024 MB RAM, Agere Win Modem.

Any help apreciated. :thanks in advance.

Michael

SolMiester
10-10-2008, 10:21 AM
How are you setting up the internet connection? Modem? Is the modem functioning correctly? Have you setup the ISP ph # username and password correctly?

pctek
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
If you are using broadband via ethernet, theres nothing except the modem itself to set up.

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a modem / hardware / driver prob

Replace the modem

Or make sure the modem is installed properly

MPG
10-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks to you both. Sorry I didn't provide enough info. Using dial up (all daughter can afford). I haven't done anything about the modem - installed by builder and I assumed it was OK. Maybe it isn't. How would I test to see if it is working correctly? Tried to set up the connection through control panel/internet options. Is there something more that I should have done? Yes, the ISP phone number and password is set correctly - set to mine so I can compare it with my own desktop to ensure I have set it up properly.

I can boot the machine in safe mode. Having done that what do you suggest I check?

Thanks again guys.
Michael

MPG
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Speedy

Many thanks for your input. I'm pretty green at this. How should I check that the modem is installed correctly? My guess is that if the builder didn't install it correctly then it has never been installed as I haven't done anything with it.

Michael

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Does it pass if you go to modem / properties / diagnostics tab / query modem??

If it doesnt it could be the wrong driver, stuffed modem, or corrupt modem driver

If its a desktop, it may not be in the PCI slot properly. You'll have to open the case, to check it. Has it ever worked?

Which could be why its locking up. I dont think reformatting it will help, if the modem is the problem.

The only way to fix it, would be to see if the modem is in properly or replace the modem

Did you install the driver for the modem, (not use XP's driver, if it had one)??

MPG
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Speedy

Thanks for your assistance. Unfortunately this will have to be a weekend job. I am about to go out for the afternoon to visit my elderly Mother who is in hospital.

Sorry can't answer your questions other than I didn't install any drivers. I assumed that the builder (PB Tech) did. I don't know if the modem has ever worked. Have just found a Dynalink disc (v2.1) in the MB box. Looks as if the packaging hasn't been opened. Not that I would consider that to be proof of a driver not being installed.

My comment about reformatting was to do with the fact that the PC now locks up. However, if I can get it going again without having to reformat, that would be good.

I'll have a play around tomorrow when I have some more time.

Michael

SolMiester
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Did you install all the chipset, video, network and sound and modem drivers for the hardware after you re-formatted and installed windows?