PDA

View Full Version : Problems reinstalling HP1200 printer on W2K

Billy T
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi Team

I'm going absolutely spare here. After resolving my dot4-001 printer port issue per my previous thread, I was able to install the printer on LPT1, delete the dot4-001 installation and everything was going fine with printing to LPT1 normal.

A few hours later I went to print another document, got the dreaded warning "bong" and on checking, I found that LPT1 was no longer working and the printer was back on Dot4-001!!! This happened without a reboot, it just quietly waited until I wasn't looking and did the dirty on me again.

Since then I have tried to install in safe mode but couldn't get that to work for some reason, but after about 10 failed installations I'm starting to get short on patience.

I'd leave the damned thing on dot4-001, but as I said, it doesn't keep working there either and after a few prints it can't find the printer anymore so I'm stuffed either way.

I'm not 100% sure that I am fully uninstalling either, I don't see any "uninstall" function so I'm simply deleting the entry in Control panel/Printers, which may well be inadequate.

I'm going to try a fully manual installation next and see if that works any better but I'd be grateful for any ideas or advice you may have to offer. Everything was so much simpler when Old Faithful was on duty, she handled a whole raft of printers plus a scanner on three separate printer ports no sweat at all.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh:

wainuitech
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I had a problem exactly the same last year - this is going from memory so may not be accurate - but from memory :waughh: I had to create a new local port Via the printer setup wizard, and aim the printer at that.

Edited: it was A XP not Win2000 - same situation though.

Billy T
06-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I had a problem exactly the same last year - this is going from memory so may not be accurate - but from memory :waughh: I had to create a new local port Via the printer setup wizard, and aim the printer at that. Edited: it was A XP not Win2000 - same situation though.

How did you set up the port? I can select a port, but since LPT1 is the only option it is Hobson's Choice.

My printer is actually going again right now, but not through my doing. I shut down and rebooted to start again and it spontaneously decided to detect the printer, loaded drivers from the HD and is up and running on Dot4-001 via LPT1. I'm not sure exactly how that last bit works!

It probably won't last though because I usually loop the printer through an HP scanner also on LPT1 so it will probably die when I connect back through the scanner.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Well, it survived reconnection of the scanner and a reboot so it looks like I can do some work tomorrow, but for how long is anyone's guess.

beama
07-10-2008, 06:02 AM
add printer... local printer... take the tick from auto detect then down the bottom select create new port

Billy T
07-10-2008, 07:21 AM
add printer... local printer... take the tick from auto detect then down the bottom select create new port

Hmm.......That's what I've been doing to get LPT1, but it doesn't stay there. Present situation is that I inserted the scanner into the loop last night and at present it is still working on Dot4-001 through LPT1. The scanner is also being recognised ok so I've got my fingers crossed.

Today I have to try and get it back up on the networked computers, or at least one of them so that I can print some music from Sibelius for my son. I don't have Sibelius on my computer so via the network is my only option unless I print screen and do it as an image.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
AAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHH :crying

It just gets worse, it was still printing this morning on dot4 then it stopped (another random event) but fortunately a reboot restored it.

Adding to my woes, I can't set up sharing with the other two computers that print to the HP printer. I can go through the process without a hitch but when I try to do a test print it seems that there is a communication issue of some sort as I get an "\\HP-1200 is not accessible, server not started" error message. Previous printer sharing was an easy 'connect the dots' job that took just a few minutes!

How can I be sure that I have deleted all of the current install? Is simply deleting from Control Panel/ Printers sufficient or do I need to dig deeper somewhere to erase all of the programming?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :mad: :mad:

SolMiester
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Billy, you have to use add\remove programs to uninstall the software and printers....

wainuitech
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
it wasn't mentioned what HP1200 type printer you have, there are several, business lasers, inkjet etc.

But I suspect the problems could be because the old drivers are still in place.

Assuming its the inkjet have a read of This here (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=411179&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c00222800), even when the old drivers/software has been uninstalled you still may have to manually delete certain files/folders that are left behind, but not knowing the exact type of 1200 is a bit awkward to locate any driver removal software - got to get the right version. :)

SolMiester
07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Billy, if you have deleted the printer but not the drivers, you can delete manually the files from this directory

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

There will be a numbered folder for each printer that you had installed.

Billy T
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Printer is an HP 1200 PCL6 Laserjet.

Thanks for that advice re uninstalling, unfortunately I read it just now as I came back with the next problem, having worked out a solution earlier this afternoon by banging my head against a brick wall until I could think clearly. I felt very stupid when I remembered!:o :o :o

That was not enough though, in order to stop the unwanted practices inflicted by the install CD I had to use the included CD feature to build a pair of good old-fashioned floppy installation disks which bypassed all the automated and intrusive 'hey, stand back & let me help you' stuff.

Then I did a fully manual installation which did not allow any of the previous shenanigans and in no time I had my computer sorted and had my daughter's computer set up for network printing, and working.

Two out of three ain't bad, but my son's computer steadfastly refuses to locate or browse for the network printer. Even if I enter the name fully it just sits there and stares at me. I treated both boxes the same as mine, i.e. I fully uninstalled the printers, did a reboot and working with administrator status I did a manual "Add new printer" installation.

So, my question is, what security feature could I be hitting that is stopping me from getting his computer on line to the printer. There is nothing apparent that I can see and I have full network access as administrator, but something must be screwed up. :illogical

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SolMiester
07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Billy, just use the network place icon to browse to your pc, and when you see the shared printer, right click and 'connect', xp will install the drivers etc...

wainuitech
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
So, my question is, what security feature could I be hitting that is stopping me from getting his computer on line to the printer. There is nothing apparent that I can see and I have full network access as administrator, but something must be screwed up. When Ever I set up a network I always turn off ALL security, firewalls in particular, then get things "talking" to one another, finally turning back on any firewalls, that way if somethings turns turtle you know what it was.

I have found on the odd occasion you have to set a PC to a static IP, for some stupid reason auto detect just doesn't want to play nice when sharing even though the router is issuing an IP Address.

Billy T
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I have found on the odd occasion you have to set a PC to a static IP, for some stupid reason auto detect just doesn't want to play nice when sharing even though the router is issuing an IP Address.

Hmm........All my PCs use a static IP address so that is not a problem, in fact as far as I am aware IP addresses are not playing any part in this, but the mention of firewalls has me thinking! All these computers run ZoneAlarm but there have been no questions asked or flags raised by any of the connections.

The problem is a bit of a movable feast really, my computer is now working fine and sitting nicely fixed on LPT1, but there's an HP5L upstairs for the kids to use for draft printing and I am having some residual problems there.

It sits on my daughter's desk and she can print to it OK because it is hung directly off LPT1 on her box, but my son can't access it at all. However, he can print to my HP6L downstairs.

Conversely, this morning my daughter was able to print to the HP6L downstairs as well as the 5L on her desk, but now she can't print to the HP6L anymore yet nothing looks wrong except that there is no tick in the LPT1 box in the Ports section of printer properties, yet the correct printer name is entered alongside. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a printer management conflict in trying to print to two separate printer both addressed via LPT1, though one port/printer is upstairs and the other is downstairs.

Any and all speculation on causes etc are welcome. I've run out of ideas.

Time to bring back the quill and the inkwell I think.

Cheers

Safari
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Give each of your kids their own dedicated printer.
Why do the printers need to be networked anyway.

wainuitech
07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
All these computers run ZoneAlarm but there have been no questions asked or flags raised by any of the connections. Just assuming here - you have gone into each PC's firewall settings and allowed the full range IP from the router from1-255 through the firewall (s)??

Also when you go into Network Places - look at the persons PC, double click to show the shares - can you actually see the shared printer on the PC that it cant print to ?

Regarding the two PC's both having LPT1 as ports, shouldn't be a problem (note - Shouldn't) as they should act as separate Nodes, and the shared Printer(s) are attached to individual machines, even if they were the same model/make of printer - shouldn't matter, because the print command is being sent to which ever printer/PC is concerned.

Personally What I would do, is on the PC that's not wanting to play nice and share, remove the firewall completely, make sure Windows Firewall is disabled ( if its XP) and reboot/try again, making sure you can actually see the shared printer - there's been more than once a firewall has caused strange problems, and I wouldn't trust firewalls asking for permissions to allow printer spools through.

Example: The Mother inlaws PC last week did similar - no browser or email (OE) would work, checked all the settings in Esets/Nod32 Smart Security,the browsers were all allowed both FF and IE, could ping telstra's servers - removed the firewall and all hell broke lose, web pages opened fine, mail came streaming in - reinstalled the security and all"s well. -- I dunno ??:confused:

Edited: just a thought ( yeah it hurt :) ) I assume that each PC does have a different name ?? as you know -- cant have two or more machines with the same name on a LAN.

Billy T
07-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Give each of your kids their own dedicated printer.

They have no space to put them, and they are too expensive. The one on my daughter's desk is a temporary measure, she has little enough room as it is.

Why do the printers need to be networked anyway.

So......... that........ they......... can......... print......... stuff.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :illogical

Oh yes, nearly forgot. the connection from my son's computer to the HP6L worked fine all day, then when he got home a few minutes ago and went to print his homework it was no longer functional, I forget the error message but it was a new one. I'm sure it isn't meant to be this hard, Old Faithful did it flawlessly for years through many changes of printers.

Billy T
07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Just assuming here - you have gone into each PC's firewall settings and allowed the full range IP from the router from1-255 through the firewall (s)?? Also when you go into Network Places - look at the persons PC, double click to show the shares - can you actually see the shared printer on the PC that it can't print to ?

Firstly, the OS on all computers is W2K, secondly, yes I can see the shared printers but the ones that don't work do not have the little hand underneath which to me says they are not properly shared. Despite that, I am quite sure that some of those have printed, there are only three computers and two printers involved, though my computer has another two on USB only, a colour inkjet and a colour laser. They are not shared.

I hope I am not misleading in any way when I say networked, they are obviously communicating with my computer over the network but each computer is set up with its own set of drivers etc. I'm not well versed in all this but I understand that a printer can have an IP address and not necessarily be connected to a computer, but that is not the set up here. Each computer has the relevant printer drivers loaded and shows share printers under 'Control Panel >Printers'.

What I can't fathom is why the settings keep changing or disappearing. They working fine for hours, they print test pages flawlessly, then the next minute they are not even there or some other problem has developed.

Personally What I would do, is on the PC that's not wanting to play nice and share, remove the firewall completely, and reboot/try again, making sure you can actually see the shared printer - there's been more than once a firewall has caused strange problems, and I wouldn't trust firewalls asking for permissions to allow printer spools through.

When up and working the shared printers can be seen and everything looks present and correct. I'll take them off line and shut down ZA for a while while I play.

I assume that each PC does have a different name ?? as you know -- cant have two or more machines with the same name on a LAN.

Yes, all have different names, and all work is being done under administrator status with full permissions.

The saving grace at present is that my work can go on unimpeded as I have sorted the issues that were directly affecting me. Problem is though that I'm not doing much of that while this is going on.

Plan B is to uninstall all printers from those two computers and start again, maybe!

Thanks to all for the ongoing assistance.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Time for an update/clarification:

The original network system had four permanently connected peer to peer computers:

A) Admin with Epson & Canon printers on USB

B) Daughter

C) Son

D) Old Faithful W98 box doing duty as a dedicated email collector from a US Website (up to 2-300 per week) and hosting the HP1200 laser.

A, B & C all run Win2K.

Comp D died (sniff) so to provide urgently needed printing service to B, an old HP5L was pulled out of retirement and installed onto it. It worked fine and still works OK but isn't printing at high enough quality or fast enough for Uni papers.

I set out to configure Comp A in the same way that D had been so that the HP1200 would be accessible to B & C. Initial problems in getting 'A' set up to print to the HP1200 were my own stupid fault, I just didn't go about it the right way and there were also some technical issues but all is now sweet.

I now want B & C to have access to the HP 1200, and C to be able to print to B so that I don't have people swanning in and out of my office to collect draft print jobs while I am working. I have loaded HP1200 drivers onto B & C and initially (during last 48 hours) they all printed, but inexplicably, now they don't.

C trying to print to the 5L on B sees a green "Ready" printer status but nothing prints. Trying to print to the HP1200 on A (previously 100% reliable via the late lamented D) gets a red "Access Denied".

B prints to the local 5L OK as expected, but also gets a red "Access Denied" from the HP1200.

At various times over the last two days they all worked, but turn your back for five minutes and the situation changes. Last night I test-printed from C to the 1200 on A, but this morning the printer wasn't even in evidence!

I'm going to leave them all for now, pending a flash of brilliance from PF1, then I'm going to uninstall all of the non-working connections and start again.

Seems to be a movable feast. The only other clue is that administrator access to B via the network is suddenly very slow, but access to C is normal.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :mad:

wainuitech
08-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Cant even replicate the problem, no win2000 PC's here :( - but other things that come to mind - is possible sharing permissions on the printer - From the how to suck eggs suggestion (http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/win2kxp.html) :lol: have a read through and see if anything rings a bell to the setup. Similar to ( no glasses required to read that site)How to suck eggs Pt2 (http://pages.infinit.net/cervotel/sharing%20a%20printer%20using%20windows%202000.htm l) going from memory the permissions have a lot to do with it. Mind you its been a while since I set up a W2K network, XP/Vista makes you lazy sometimes :nerd:

SolMiester
08-10-2008, 01:16 PM
LOL, Billy, whats happening with your home network mate.....

Maybe you should start afresh.
If it were me, I would,
1)- confirm all pc's on same network workgroup
2)- re-configure IP addresses from static to dymanic
3)- create a folder on the c: of each PC and share with open permissions for 'everyone'
4)- Disconnect the internet from router and diable all firewalls & a/v protection.
5)- connect and test each pc can print to any directly attached printers
6)- Configure 'everyone' permissions for sharing of above printers.
7)- using the network places icon, export your network from each PC to ensure they all see one another.
8)- while exploring your network, right click any share or printer for connect and shortcuts too shared folders.(this will install any required drivers)
9)- once everyone sharing and smiling, re-connect internet and enable a/v and firewalls.
10)- test to see it still works.

Good luck

Billy T
08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it did!

The HP1200 that is attached to my computer started to go flaky as well, printing one page then throwing a PCL XL error. After some research I decided that updated printer drivers were required so I found a more recent set on HP's website, downloaded them and prepared to install.

First step, uninstall existing drivers. Should be easy? Guess again, the uninstaller icon leads nowhere, as do any other icons associated with this printer, in fact a search of the whole computer didn't find any at all, not a folder, not a file.

I scanned the whole drive with ZTree (love that program, fast and sees EVERYTHING) but nope, nothing HP anywhere except for my scanner. The desktop icon still opens some windows but nothing else. I've backtracked through properties but there is nothing remotely resembling a driver file, or even an associated exe.

Now here's the real conundrum, it will still print page 1 of a document quite normally, sometimes after a couple of tries, but then it prints the "PCL XL error" message again. So, unless the computer is infected with a dedicated HP printer virus I'm at a loss to explain this strange situation.

I'll load the new drivers and see what happens, but any enlightening comments would be appreciated.

Day three and counting..............................

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D

I'm still smiling, but only just, or is it gritted teeth?

wainuitech
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll load the new drivers and see what happens, but any enlightening comments would be appreciated.
have a look in the eventvwr and see if anythings listed.

enlightening comment :illogical what about light hearted ?

Top line of my sig :D

SolMiester
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Billy, unplug the printer from the pc, delete the printer icon in windows, 1 of my posts in this thread gives the location of all your printer drivers, delete the appropriate folder (identify the files in folder for printer driver).
Then do what you can to get rid of the any software folder of the hp printer in program files, then use your new downloaded driver to install the printer again...

ermmm, hope that makes sense?

Billy T
08-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Right, I've manually deleted the HP driver files from the 188 files sitting in spool\drivers\w32x86\3, which was the only file there and had every printer file I've ever loaded sitting in it!

I've also deleted every other reference to HP1200 that I can find so I've cleared the decks, and the wise words gleaned from hours of searching say to use a PCL5 driver.

I'm guessing I won't find one of those for an HP1200 but I am presuming that there is a certain generality about drivers. I've searched the HP website but can't really identify anything that looks appropriate, and I also wonder how the 1200 install program will handle files it is not expecting, so I'd be grateful for any advice in that regard.

If any expert can identify a suitable PCL5 driver and post a link I'd be eternally grateful. I'm not just out of my depth here, I sank below the waves about 36 hours ago so I'd appreciate some expert guidance.

Cheers

Safari
09-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Have a look at this link, not sure if it is the one you want but they have a selection there.

http://www.drivershq.com/Drivers/28/Devices.aspx

wainuitech
09-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Aren't These the drivers (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=nz&prodNameId=29790&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=29789&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=181) HP laserJet 1200 Series

Billy T
09-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Aren't These the drivers (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=nz&prodNameId=29790&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=29789&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=181) HP laserJet 1200 Series

I think I'll change my user name to Sarah P! That is indeed exactly what I need, yet last night I couldn't find my way to it for looking. I reckon that must mean I'm definitely vice-presidential material so I'm gonna go look out my window and see if I can eyeball Russia. If I can, I'm in.

Thank you for that WT, I'll load, test and post results.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Billy T
09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Ok.............Not good!

I downloaded, unzipped, transferred to floppy, started the install, clicked "have disk" ......and came to a screaming halt! The printer options only list two HP1200s, both PCL6 and the floppy files were rejected as not matching the selected hardware. I found that the Inf file was on disk two instead of one and swapping that over brought up an install option which completed and printed a test page but with errors and I now find that it will mostly print just one page of any document. My last attempt printed fully but turned a two page doc into three pages, and with errors.

Is there any manual file installation option to get around this, like reinstalling the PCL6 version then swapping out the actual driver files, or am I snookered completely?

I seem to be fast running out of options here, but why would HP list 1200 PCL5 drivers if the 1200 could only use PCL6?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :crying

Just tried again and it printed a "test rage", which about sums up the whole experience!

SolMiester
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Billy, use are using LPT port arent you, not USB Virtual port?

Can you not use the add printer and select your drivers at will, pointing to a folder with the PCL5 drivers?

SolMiester
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Just thought Billy, you could probably get away with using a standard HPLJ4 driver.....I have done that plenty of times....

Billy T
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I seem to have a movable feast going on here, the rules keep changing. I am on LPT1, not a virtual port or anything like that. I am following the instructions to the letter i.e. the printer is disconnected (and off for what it's worth), I start the install, select LPT1 and this time it told me that DLLs were missing, yet they can't be because they are on the CD. I pointed the install back to the CD and it found them and completed the installation.

I printed the test page and Sod's Law struck again, it is back on Dot4! I loaded a second time choosing LPT1, a process that worked fine previously and it couldn't find LPT1.

I strongly suspected the printer has a communication problem so I got out my laptop which has that printer installed as a stand-alone installation (no, I didn't think of it before) plugged it in with a new lead just in case and it was haywire too and wouldn't print. I did a full uninstall via the original uninstall option created when it was first installed, loaded it again and it went straight to Dot4 instead of LPT1, or as I now suspect is happening, it defaulted to Dot-4 because it couldn't find LPT1.

That's enough for me, I'll buy another printer and find a use for this one somewhere the sun don't shine.

If that doesn't solve my problems I'm really stuck!

Watch this space...................

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
09-10-2008, 08:40 PM
OK, the initial problem seems to be solved pro tem, so the HP printer has a reprieve. It was a communication problem all right, and the fault probably lies in the printer, but the precipitating factor appears to have been the length of the lead back to the computer, which was around 5 metres long by the time it had passed through the scanner. Maybe that was one reason why it kept defaulting back to Dot4, because it couldn't communicate reliably with LPT1?

I'm guessing it didn't show up in the previous print server configuration because of different characteristics in the parallel port card, a subtle timing difference would be all that was necessary, and the server was a much slower computer as well.

Anyway, I took the cover off the side of the HP printer to check the connection and saw a funny little socket sitting there. "That looked just like a USB connector" I thought, and so indeed it was! I was totally unaware that the HP1200 had USB and don't recall even seeing mention of a USB option while selecting ports. As soon as I plugged in a USB lead it all started working and I hardly had to do anything to set it up.

I haven't tried to get printer sharing going for the other two computers yet, that will have to wait as I have to go overseas on business on Monday for a few days.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thanks

wainuitech
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Awhhh The old hide the USB plug trick :eek: :lol:

Good to hear its going (for the mean time) :banana Just hope when you return its not --- Dad the printers not working again - we touched Nothing :angry have a good trip Billy.