PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Tips

CaptainVincent
03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to overclocking and have just been increasing the speed of my CPU via fsb. I have managed to get the speed from 200mhz to 230mhz and everythings going well. When I try 240mhz my computer BSOD's. I have the following specs.

ASUS GeForce 8800GS TOP 384MB
1.25GB RAM
(1GB DDR2 533Mhz) (256MB DDR2 533Mhz)
AMD x2 3800+ @ 2.3Ghz (Normally 2.0)

Some info from CPU-Z
Core speed - 2300Mhz
Bus Speed - 230Mhz
HT Link - 690Mhz
DRAM Frequency - 230Mhz

BIOS Settings
AM2 Boost - Disabled
OCD Mode - CPU, PCIE Async
CPU Frequency - 230Mhz
PCI-E - 100Mhz
CPU/LDT spread spec - 0.75% Hershey
PCI-E spread spec - Disabled
SATA spead spec - Disabled
Cool n Quiet - Disabled
Multiplier/Voltage change - auto (voltage can't go higher than 1.35 so left at auto)
Memory Clock - Auto
Flex Op - En
CAS Latency - Auto
TRAS - Auto
TRP - Auto
TRCD - Auto
TRRD - Auto
MA Timing - Auto
Bank Interleaving - Auto
Memory Hole - Disabled
DDRII Intialization Mode - Auto
CPU - NB Link Speed - 600Mhz (HT LINK)
NB Width - Auto
DRAM Voltage - Auto

Any idea what I should change to improve my overclocking? Or does everything look okay?

Thanks Heaps =).

PENTIUM
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
If you can, turn spread spectrum off. In my experience with that series of processors it may be better to buy a faster processor than to overclock beyond 220.

nofam
03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
You'll find the guys n gals at the Overclockers forum (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/) really helpful too!

Thebananamonkey
03-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Are you touching the voltage at all? And RAM dividers?

What divider are you using?

Also, what are you hoping to achieve out of OC? More FPS? Bragging rights? Something else?

There's a point where more GHz don't do that much, and fiddling with settings and worrying about BSOD are too much hassle. I know my Q6600 and P5K-E will handle 3.4GHz, but I don't see the point. So keep it at 3.0.

It's much cooler there, better for the components, cheaper to run watt-wise, and far far far more stable.

I suggest that "because I'm bored, and I want to see what my comp can do" isn't a good reason. But that's just my opinion.

utopian201
03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
If you're looking for outright speed, you can loosen your ram timings
(CAS Latency - Auto
TRAS - Auto
TRP - Auto
TRCD - Auto
TRRD - Auto)

Looser ram timings mean more latency, but you'll also be able to go for a higher FSB.
If you want lowest latency, (aggressive ram timings), you'll need to dial down the FSB.

Higher latency means the CPU has to wait slightly longer before getting a response, but higher FSB means higher throughput. You could try higher than 230, just keep upping it in small increments.

What heatsink are you using, a stock one?

I'd stay away from modifying the voltage, as you risk permanently damaging the CPU if you aren't sure of what you are doing.

utopian201
03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I suggest that "because I'm bored, and I want to see what my comp can do" isn't a good reason. But that's just my opinion.

I'd agree with everything he said. If the overclock doesn't result in more than 10% increase in speed, it's not usually noticable.

CaptainVincent
03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I'd agree with everything he said. If the overclock doesn't result in more than 10% increase in speed, it's not usually noticable.

When I managed to get the fsb to 240 from 200 (Until it started BSODing on startup).

I would start the crysis benchmark for GPU and even with 1.25GB of RAM the stuttering was heavily reduced and I got around 30fps first loop and 35ish second loop.

At stock I would get like 17fps first loop because of heavy stuttering then around 30fps second loop. So even without stuttering, on the second loop I get around 5fps more =)

So I'm getting quite a nice boost when the speed is upped to a 4800+ (2.4Ghz)

CaptainVincent
03-10-2008, 06:07 PM
If you're looking for outright speed, you can loosen your ram timings
(CAS Latency - Auto
TRAS - Auto
TRP - Auto
TRCD - Auto
TRRD - Auto)

Looser ram timings mean more latency, but you'll also be able to go for a higher FSB.
If you want lowest latency, (aggressive ram timings), you'll need to dial down the FSB.

Higher latency means the CPU has to wait slightly longer before getting a response, but higher FSB means higher throughput. You could try higher than 230, just keep upping it in small increments.

What heatsink are you using, a stock one?

I'd stay away from modifying the voltage, as you risk permanently damaging the CPU if you aren't sure of what you are doing.

Hey there. Can you please suggest some values I should set my ram timings to? Thanks.

Deane F
04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
If you lower your RAM timings you will almost certainly have to increase voltage.

However, until you have a perfectly stable overclock on your CPU I would set the multiplier to keep the RAM at spec.

With the kind of overclock you're doing on your CPU you will need to increase voltage - no two ways about it. So if you're getting a 15% overclock as it is then I am assuming you have increased the voltage already.

What are you using to test stability? Orthos?

CaptainVincent
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey there. Voltage is set to auto. Max voltage my BIOS allows is 1.35V and it seems to automatically just use up to 1.35V itself. I cannot set the multiplier any higher, max value seems to be 10x =(.

Thebananamonkey
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Auto voltage always over-values, so you're probably using way too much at the moment. Which means that you'll be getting far higher temps than you need to.

Are you monitoring temps? I'd suggest you get prime95, and set it in for at least 5-6 hours. And then use a temperature monitoring program. Are you talking to the people at Overclocking NZ Forums? If not, you should be. Also, read their stickies before asking questions if you want to be taken seriously.

CaptainVincent
04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Auto voltage always over-values, so you're probably using way too much at the moment. Which means that you'll be getting far higher temps than you need to.

Are you monitoring temps? I'd suggest you get prime95, and set it in for at least 5-6 hours. And then use a temperature monitoring program. Are you talking to the people at Overclocking NZ Forums? If not, you should be. Also, read their stickies before asking questions if you want to be taken seriously.

Core 1 @ 47 Degrees
Core 2 @ 46 Degrees

This is while defragging my computer for an hour. Voltage is jumping around 1.270-1.350V.

CaptainVincent
04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Will also try prime95 overnight.

Deane F
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Hey there. Voltage is set to auto. Max voltage my BIOS allows is 1.35V and it seems to automatically just use up to 1.35V itself.

You should be using a couple of utilities for overclocking. One I use is CPU-Z (it's free) and it will tell you the actual voltage your CPU is using - which will often be quite different to what you have set the motherboard at. It is dynamic too, so you can see what the voltage draw is when under load such as during a stress test.

If you are not confident to set voltage yourself - don't overclock...

And if you are not at least mentally prepared to blow some hardware away to hardware heaven - don't overclock...

I cannot set the multiplier any higher, max value seems to be 10x =(.

I was referring to the RAM multiplier, sorry. Set it so that you are as close to the RAM default speed as possible given whatever FSB speed you are running.

PENTIUM
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Cicero wrote in Latin. Tongillianus habet nasum. Sniff. Did anyone read my post?:

Thebananamonkey
06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Sure did. Do you want a pat on the back? I don't think there's an icon for that.

SolMiester
06-10-2008, 11:43 AM

QFT - OC nono, leaving voltage @ auto!

CaptainVincent
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
QFT - OC nono, leaving voltage @ auto!

Napier FTW!

Thebananamonkey
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Napier FTW!

Um.... wha?