PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2+ advice

Billy T
03-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Team

Received a nice letter from Telecom today advising that my 3GB cap (that I thought was only 2GB) has been upped to 10GB at no extra cost, and that ADSL2+ is now available in my area. I am less than 2Km from the Exchange, let alone any upgraded roadside cabinets, so I intend to take a leap of faith and go ADSL2.

This brings the inevitable question: What brands/modems should be avoided? Currently I have a D-Link 504G which has been very reliable so I'd probably continue with that brand. Telecom are also offering a free Thomson but I'm not keen on that idea unless the word on the street is that they are good.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :clap (Yay, even faster internet looms)

wratterus
03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
You could go for the 604t, basically the same thing but newer and capable of handling ADSL2 and it also has wireless. You could pick one of those up from one of the many stores in Auckland for around $125.

I'd steer well clear of Thompson. :yuck:

Dynalink also make good modems.

Do the ADSL2+ speeds apply for plans that aren't FS up and Down? I had a feeling telecom caps the download speed on their 128k up plans to 4mbit. One would assume I'm either completely wrong, or they are lifting that cap?

stu161204
03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Do the ADSL2+ speeds apply for plans that aren't FS up and Down? I had a feeling telecom caps the download speed on their 128k up plans to 4mbit. One would assume I'm either completely wrong, or they are lifting that cap?

According to this Article (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/244F318FD195F26ECC2574D40003C0D1), it sounds like they may be lifting the 128K upload speed limit, but in till telecom update there website itís a bit hard to say....

wratterus
03-10-2008, 01:18 PM
According to this Article (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/244F318FD195F26ECC2574D40003C0D1), it sounds like they may be lifting the 128K upload speed limit, but in till telecom update there website it’s a bit hard to say....

Clear as mud eh!

The Go plan is not ADSL2 capable, while the Go Express is, but they haven't updated the new data caps on their website yet, so that info may be out of date too. Who would know.

zcc
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
From telescums website check on my home address:
"This address is near an exchange which is scheduled to be upgraded with ADSL2+ technology in approximately Mar 2011."

SO FARK YOU TELESCUM!

somebody
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
"This address is near an exchange which is scheduled to be upgraded with ADSL2+ technology in approximately Mar 2011."

SO FARK YOU TELESCUM!

If you don't like them, use somebody else - TelstraClear Cable if you're in Wgtn/Chch, Woosh Wireless if you're in coverage areas, Vodafone, Farmside, or any other provider.

b....
04-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Billy T,

Thanks for the heads up on this.
I checked on Telecom's site and found that I can get ADSL2+.
The only catch is that I will have to upgrade from "GO" ($39.95) to "GO EXPRESS" ($49.95). What the hell it's only an xtra $2.50 a week. Helen's tax cut will pay for it, and the petrol, and food etc.
Looks like they will even swap my old D-Link 302G to a Thomson ST536 modem, or a TG585 wireless gateway for FREE!
Even comes with a 30 day right of return if you aren't happy. Can't be all bad.

Anybody know what increase in speed I am likely to get? I just got 2268kbps at NZDSL.

decibel
04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Anybody know what increase in speed I am likely to get? I just got 2268kbps at NZDSL.

If you are only getting 2268kb/s now, you are highly unlikely to get any improvement in speed with ADSL2+

rumpty
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
According to this Article (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/244F318FD195F26ECC2574D40003C0D1), it sounds like they may be lifting the 128K upload speed limit, but in till telecom update there website itís a bit hard to say....

"Upload limits of 128kb have also been removed to deliver maximum speeds up and down"

That sounds good to me. I hope Xnet will match it, when they give us ADSL2+, for no extra charge?!!

Agent_24
04-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I like Dynalink myself.

If you want your router to be good & reliable, make sure it's got:

1) Good (read: well written and up-to-date) firmware
2) a decent heatsink on the main processor,
3) good quality capacitors that can handle the conditions

2 and 3 can be easily fixed if they aren't satisfied already, 1 not so easy but possible (eg: openWRT etc)

zcc
05-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I like Dynalink myself.

If you want your router to be good & reliable, make sure it's got:

2 and 3 can be easily fixed if they aren't satisfied already, 1 not so easy but possible (eg: openWRT etc)

4) an on/off switch!!!

gary67
05-10-2008, 09:45 AM
4) an on/off switch!!!

X2

Chilling_Silence
05-10-2008, 10:12 AM
I'd steer clear of the Thomson ones also.
I have a friend who was touting it as the latest and greatest thing, geared for "Triple Play" (Some horrible marketing term), and ADSL2 etc

Anyways, I setup a server at his home and turned on some monitoring, basically it kept dropping packets, dropping the connection, Voice quality was horrible too. He did firmware updates and more, and never had any luck.
I gave him a nice Linksys wireless router and he's never had a dropped connection, never have I had an alert that its dropping packets or cant ping out.

Not a fan of D-Link either, so -1 there! ;)

Nermal
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM

I got the same thing for my current address, and July 2011 for the house I'm moving into soon. I wonder how they decide when to perform the upgrades, as there are ~2500 broadband customers on my exchange yet some exchanges with less customers have already been upgraded.

TelstraClear is apparently planning to roll out VDSL2 to 130 exchanges outside the big cities. I don't have a list of locations, but it's potentially promising :)

decibel
06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
TelstraClear is apparently planning to roll out VDSL2 to 130 exchanges outside the big cities. I don't have a list of locations, but it's potentially promising :)

They're not the only ones.

Trouble is that VDSL2 only has a short range and most of us will be outside it, unless Telecom hurries up with it's cabinetisation plans.

Billy T
06-10-2008, 09:29 PM
"This address is near an exchange which is scheduled to be upgraded with ADSL2+ technology in approximately Mar 2011." SO FARK YOU TELESCUM!

Let me guess, you are 13 right? Juvenile abuse is quite pathetic. If you don't like Telecom, go elsewhere and find better............ if you can.

Preferably offshore.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

kersonan
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Let me guess, you are 13 right? Juvenile abuse is quite pathetic. If you don't like Telecom, go elsewhere and find better............ if you can.

Preferably offshore.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

X2