PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home not booting into desktop

GR8Metal
03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

I have a PC that's having issues booting into the desktop. It restarts itself just before it launches the desktop. It displays a blue screen error for about 1/2 a second so unable to read the details. Tried booting into safe mode but with same issues, restarts when desktop tries to load.

I've tested the RAM for 2 hours using memtest - no errors. When I test the hard drive using the seagate's hdd tools, the system locks up on the full test when it reached 99%. Not sure if this is related the original fault. I've removed the hard drive from the system and installed into another PC. Ran full scan using NOD32 which was OK. Also ran the windows hard driver error checking utility which was OK.

Any ideas? :badpc:

wratterus
03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Tap F8 when the PC is initially starting and select 'disable automatic restart on system failure'

Then you'll be able to see what the error is.

Also try safe mode with command prompt and if it doesn't bsod run a system restore, type in C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe

Have you got a WinXP CD? Boot off it, go into the recovery console and do a chkdsk /r

wainuitech
03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Could be bad driver corruption - have you tried Start in last Known Good Configeration ?

If that doesn't work try Safe mode with Command prompt - Hopefully that will load to a Command prompt box, if it does type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe Press Enter - run system Restore back a day or so to when it was going OK.

GR8Metal
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Cheers wratterus, I selected that and noted down the error which is "the video driver failed to initialize"......

wratterus
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Sounds like wainui's thought was correct. You should be able to do a system restore back to when it was working from safe mode cmd prompt. Then update the graphics driver.

GR8Metal
03-10-2008, 10:28 AM
OK, wainuitech tried selecting "last known configuration..." but that doesn't work, still restarts. Also tried using "safe mode with command prompt".. but still restarts........ Sounds like it's really goosed!!

wratterus
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
DO you have an XP CD? Try doing a chkdsk from the recovery console...

GR8Metal
03-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Tried running chkdsk by booting off xp home cd, went through all the steps without any issues. Even tried running a windows repair but still restarts. Might have to take wainuitech's advice and get that bigger hammer!!!

wainuitech
03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Sounds like its a bit Puckered :eek: If the suggestion from Wratterus doesn't work - there is a way to run restore back to when it was going OK, may or may not fix the problem, but the CD does have lots of repair uses.

Not the same problem but the possible fix is the same -- Not writing all this out again :p have a read of This thread here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=93653) in particular posts number 6 & 11 ( 11 gives full instructions - links in 6)

Edited:Ignore instruction in 11 - I rewrote / altered and saved them.

Here: FULL Instructions - on the working PC, turn off any antivirus and antispyware - some of the components are seen as infections from the install.exe - they arenít its just the way it works, any antivirus may damage the install and stop it from working. ( it is Harmless)

Install the UBCD4Win .exe on the working PC - follow the instructions as it goes, use default settings - While its installing it will ask for verification to make sure its installed correctly - select yes - when it asks for the update patch select YES - it will check if there is any and advice..

Once installed it will say run the program ( box ticked) select yes - it may pop under the current open box so check. Agree to any prompts/ Licenses etc.

Next it will ask to search for the windows install files - select YES - it will search, NOW as long as the PC has the I386 folder installed it will locate it - if it doesnít you will need a XP CD to copy the I386 folder to the PC, other wise it WONT WORK.

Make sure there is a Blank CD in the drive

Assuming it locates the I386 folder, select it - select Burn to CD/DVD

Click Build - You may get a message saying folder doesnít exist - select YES to make the folder it wants - you will see a LOT of files being copied and a lot of activity - touch nothing - it will burn the CD - may take 5-10 minutes.

IF for some reason it doesnít burn the CD (this does happen on slower PCís sometimes ) - Open the program from the desktop ( new Icon there) this time select create ISO image. Then using your Image burning software create a CD from the image in the install folder, usually C:\

Once CD is made - boot from the CD

Edited 1 : I assume from your posts above it will boot from the XP CD and start to load ?

Edit 2: you may need to copy the I386 folder from the XP CD to the working PC to make this Disc.

GR8Metal
03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Cheers wainuitech, I'll give that go and let you know how I get on.

wainuitech
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Okey Dokey :)