PDA

View Full Version : Streaming HDTV file to TV problem

supersi
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a Mediagate MG350 wireless (g) device hooked up to my TV.
I stream media from my laptop wirelessly to it. Normally I have no problems doing so.
I simply navigate to the file I want to watch on my Laptop using the Mediagate GUI on the TV set. I have a file that is classified as 720p which I understand to be a proper High Definiton file.
I can watch in on my laptop. But when I navigate to the folder containing the 720p file using the Mediagate GUI it isn't there. Can I fix this? Or if I want to stream the file do I have to reduce the quality? If so, how do you do this?
I understand the HDTV file might be H.264 which Mediagate doesn't support. How do I find out if it's H.264 and if so can I convert to another HD format?

kersonan
02-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I find this little app rather handy for determining formats and codecs
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

CYaBro
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Probably not worth the effort trying to keep it in some HD format as the wireless network will most likely not handle it very well.
May go OK for a while then stutter, things like that.

Chilling_Silence
05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Its quite possibly in a container format that the MediaGate doesnt support, I dont think they support .mkv which a lot of HD files are (Depending how it was created).

If you play it in VideoLAN Client on your laptop (videolan.org) and then click View --> Stream & Media Info, what does it say? Whats the file extension?