PDA

View Full Version : Buying a straight monitor, or TV come monitor, which is better?

ssssss
02-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I feel it is time to change from my trusty but old Philips CRT monitor, and buy a new LCD one. I am taken by the idea of buying a TV that can double as a monitor. But would these give the same quality for computer work as a straight monitor without TV?
Also are dead pixels much of an issue these days, as they were several years ago? I don't want to buy a screen and have this problem.
Thanks.
:)

gary67
02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Dead pixels can still happen even on new out of the box LCd's but that's what the warranty is for. Don't know about monitor/TV's never used one

pine-o-cleen
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd buy a normal LCD monitor and a TV tuner. It'll probably work out cheaper.

autechre
03-10-2008, 08:19 AM
An LCD TV won't have nearly the resolution of a monitor of the same size so your picture will look pretty bad.

A TV tuner & decent monitor would be the better option.

linw
03-10-2008, 08:24 AM
+1

utopian201
03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
What size tv are you looking to get?
the best 32" lcd screens have only a resolution of 1920x1080

24" monitors have a resolution of 1920x1200, whlie 30" monitors have a resolution of 2560 x 1600, so it will depend on what you actually do with your computer. I would have expected an actual monitor would be better for things like writing documents, coding etc as the image will be substantially sharper due to the higher pixel pitch

CI Sue
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
If the LCD TV is anything like my 22" one then using it as a PC monitor would be downright awful.

Use a PC monitor for computer work and put a TV card in your computer to get the best of both worlds.

ssssss
03-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the advice.
TV isn't all that important to me,
so may treat myself to just a monitor.
I wonder what Acer monitors are like?
DSE seems to have a few.
Are new monitors easy to set up,
and will they work with Windows XP & Me?
(I use the two computers with a KVM switch)

Agent_24
05-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Acer are pretty horrible quality (as most people here will tell you)

At least, I hear that all the time about their laptops. Not sure about the monitors though.

Monitors are one of the easiest things to install.

1) plug it in
2) set your resolution/refresh rate accordingly (if needed)
3) use it

A separate TV tuner card would be best if you ever did want TV, then you can record to your hard drive as well as do timeshifting etc

CI Sue
05-10-2008, 08:42 AM
What size monitor are you thinking of getting? I am very happy with my 20" Viewsonic LCD widescreen monitor. An online store such as Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz) has a large selection of monitors to choose from.

ssssss
05-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi CI Sue,
Thanks for putting me on to Ascent.
Is your Viewsonic model number VA2026W,
do you know?

jwil1
05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
One thing you need to be aware of is that some older graphics cards don't support widescreen resolutions. I was caught out by this!

Luckily, I found that my ViewSonic VA2226w (22") has the ability to show images in 4:3 ratio, with black bars down the side, rather than stretched.

One other thing - most LCD monitors (incl mine) have both a VGA and DVI port at the back. I have set this up so I have two KVM switches attached to it = 8 machines on one monitor (but with 2 keyboards and mice).

somebody
05-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the advice.
TV isn't all that important to me,
so may treat myself to just a monitor.
I wonder what Acer monitors are like?
DSE seems to have a few.
Are new monitors easy to set up,
and will they work with Windows XP & Me?
(I use the two computers with a KVM switch)

I've used a 17" Acer LCD before, and it's fine. No better or worse than any other name-brand LCD screen I've used.

CI Sue
06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi CI Sue,
Thanks for putting me on to Ascent.
Is your Viewsonic model number VA2026W,
do you know?

Yes, that is the one I have. I'm very happy with it.

If you are using WinXP then the chances of you having a modern enough graphics card to run it should be good but I'm not sure about a WinME machine.

Old graphics cards should still display a picture but the resolution settings will be limited.

utopian201
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
You can check which panel a certain screen has here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

TN: Lowest cost, worst viewing angles and colour reproduction, low input lag. Apparently best for fast paced gaming, worst for image editing and professsional work where colour accuracy is important. TN panels can only display 262k colours natively and use dithering to display 16.7m.

*VA (MVA, PVA, S-PVA): Middle of the road, better viewing angles and colour reproduction, typically highest input lag (as high as 64ms!). Typically best black levels and contrast. Can display 16.7m colours but unfortunately (or fortunately if you're a design professional) most newer panels of this type are wide gamut, meaning sRGB images are oversaturated in non colour managed applications. Can suffer from slight horizontal contrast shift (like TN's vertical contrast shift, but not as obvious)

IPS (S-IPS, H-IPS): Most expensive technology, viewing angles and colour reproduction almost as good as (or even better than) that of a CRT, medium input lag (between 20-40ms). Almost all are wide gamut (which is a disadvantage, or an advantage depending on how you look at it). No contrast shift, but on non NEC screens (NEC screens have what is called an ATW polariser), can suffer from a slight washed out look when viewed from extreme horizontal angles

All panel types have similar response times so ghosting is not really a problem anymore. Although some panels use overdrive, so you get a 'negative' ghosting effect, depending on the background eg on the TN (viewsonic 22") I'm using now, there is a slight ghosting trail, which isn't noticable on my IPS screen. So in this instance, TN has worse ghosting than IPS, even though the TN has a "quicker" documented (5ms for TN, 6ms for IPS) response time.

ssssss
18-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks folk for the help
I didn't get the Viewsonic, CI Sue, as I decided I would like a 22".
I looked at Samsung and didn't think it very good quality.
In the end I decided on HP's 22" v220 Monitor.
It cost about $460 from Digital Shop.
I am quite pleased with it.
The picture could be sharper, but for the price I think it is quite good.
However HP only give one year warranty.
Other manufacurers give 3 years.:)

gradebdan
18-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi. Very interested in this post. My Chi mei 17in just packed up. 4 yrs old.Was Very pleased with the picture. My local friendly comp repair man only had a 19in wide screen dell SE198WFP so I bought this. Now at home not at all pleased with the stretched out photos of the family. My comp only has (XP home) onboard graphics which was quite adequate for my use previously. Come Monday shall take it back, get my money back and buy a 4:3 set .Im in Auckland shall try E one or PB Penrose.

ssssss
18-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi. Very interested in this post. My Chi mei 17in just packed up. 4 yrs old.Was Very pleased with the picture. My local friendly comp repair man only had a 19in wide screen dell SE198WFP so I bought this. Now at home not at all pleased with the stretched out photos of the family. My comp only has (XP home) onboard graphics which was quite adequate for my use previously. Come Monday shall take it back, get my money back and buy a 4:3 set .Im in Auckland shall try E one or PB Penrose.

Hi,
I had a stretched out picture at first on my two older (Windows XP and Me) computers.
Panic.
I thought I had made a stupid purchase.
But on playing with the menu, Fill to aspect ratio, it came right.

supergran
19-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I have a samsung flat monitor, and I LOVE it. And it didn't cost the earth

CI Sue
19-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks folk for the help
I didn't get the Viewsonic, CI Sue, as I decided I would like a 22".

Yummy, 22". Glad you like your choice. :thumbs: :cool:

With regards to "stretched out" images, etc, ssssss is right - it pays to read the manual and have a little fiddle with the monitor's menu settings, particularly the "Auto" if it has one.

When I first hooked up my Viewsonic I didn't like the way text was displayed, it wasn't "crisp", but I couldn't find anything anywhere to adjust it. In the end I contacted Viewsonic's Support and was advised to press the Auto button. Did so and, like magic, the screen transformed into the best display I have ever had. :cool:

Q man
20-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Got a AOC 21.6 running of a 8800gts

Great colour great resolution no complaints

3 year warranty and less than $300 from E One

Cant go wrong!!!