PDA

View Full Version : Stare clear of belkin wireless N Adsl Routers...

Lee08
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Belkin Wireless N ADSL Modem Routers Model: F5D8633-4 v1000 are faulty and will not port forward UDP, they also wont work with VOIP on Xnet VFX.

This is a copy of the emails I sent and received from belkin tech support:

Hey there, I'm an owner of a Belkin Wireless N ADSL modem router F5D8633-4 (au4) v1000 and I'm facing a problem when it comes to port forwarding. It seems that whenever I setup a UDP port forward it doesnt work however if I setup a TCP port forward the tcp port forward works fine. I run no firewall or internet security software on my pc so I know thats not an issue. I have done some further testing using online testers, etc and yes it confirms that udp port forwarding doesnt work. I have tried updating the firmware to the one that was released in august and that doesnt fix the problem either. I work as a computer technician so im pretty up with the play on port forwarding, etc and know that in order for it to work properly your pc needs a static ip on the local network, etc. Is there any solution to this? I've searched the net and it seems like this is a common problem. So before I return this to my supplier and swap it for another brand I thought I would send this email in the hope that you know how to rectify the issue as im really not happy. I really hope I will get a quick reply to this thank you. =) Lee

Belkin Response Sep 30 2008 23:56
Hello,
We have identified this problem and are currently working on a fix, in the mean time you could try disabling the firewall all together. Once a new firmware is released it will be posted on our support site. Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support

Customer Call Details Oct 1 2008 04:32
Hi I have tried disabling the firewall but it makes no difference. I also have a voip phone connection and this only works properly when the firewall is disabled as if its enabled people cant hear me. Could you please provide me with an eta for the firmware as i dont want to be waiting weeks or months for it to be released as I can return the device to supplier and swap for another brand.

Lee

Belkin Response Oct 1 2008 06:14
Hello,
I am unable to supply an ETA, the best I can suggest is I expect it to be more than a few weeks away I am afraid.

Customer Call Details Oct 1 2008 08:30
Well why are you selling a product that has a fault? I will be contacting the commerce comission here in New Zealand and advising them that this product needs to be removed from supply as long as this fault exists, I will also be contacting appropriate distributors of belkin products to make them aware of this situation.

sarel
02-10-2008, 06:50 AM
If you check previous posts by myself, I also had problems with a Belkin, and I ended up getting another router. Wratterus is trying to make sense out of my old Belkin piece of cr*p and I am pretty sure he will fail, because it's a cr*p router.

Swap as soon as you can.

sarel

CYaBro
02-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Linksys FTW :punk

utopian201
02-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Belkin Response Sep 30 2008 23:56
Hello,
We have identified this problem and are currently working on a fix, in the mean time you could try disabling the firewall all together. Once a new firmware is released it will be posted on our support site. Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support

Customer Call Details Oct 1 2008 04:32
Hi I have tried disabling the firewall but it makes no difference. I also have a voip phone connection and this only works properly when the firewall is disabled as if its enabled people cant hear me. Could you please provide me with an eta for the firmware as i dont want to be waiting weeks or months for it to be released as I can return the device to supplier and swap for another brand.

Lee

Belkin Response Oct 1 2008 06:14
Hello,
I am unable to supply an ETA, the best I can suggest is I expect it to be more than a few weeks away I am afraid.

Customer Call Details Oct 1 2008 08:30
Well why are you selling a product that has a fault? I will be contacting the commerce comission here in New Zealand and advising them that this product needs to be removed from supply as long as this fault exists, I will also be contacting appropriate distributors of belkin products to make them aware of this situation.

While I understand your frustration, I develop software that runs on network devices (not Belkin though!). Working on fixing bugs has given me appreciation for fixes, and yes, giving ETAs are notoriously hard; its like me telling you "I'm going to give you an algebra problem to solve but I'm not going to give you the calculation yet; how long will you take to solve it?"

As for selling a product that has faults, have you ever used complex software that doesn't have bugs? The only software I know that does not have faults are simple programs, or those where I only use the main feature. My whole job so far has primarily been fixing bugs that customers have found. Software development is notoriously hard and impossible to get perfect. There are bugs we know about but will never fix because they aren't important enough; there are more pressing bugs which affect more customers.

As for belkin's support, the best they can do (the best they -should- do!) is give you an advanced release of the firmware instead of waiting for an official release. This means you get the fix hot off the developer who fixes it. If this is an urgent issue, you could ask if you could get the developer build in the meanwhile, and then upgrade to the official release when it comes out.

Lee08
02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
but my point is shouldnt these belkin routers of been fully tested prior to being released for sale? The fact that these particular routers have been on sale for some time and a fix is yet to be made is unacceptable, a product should only be released to the consumer market once full testing of the device has been carried out. The fact that these have two major faults show that minimal testing has been done.

wratterus
02-10-2008, 09:49 AM
but my point is shouldnt these belkin routers of been fully tested prior to being released for sale? The fact that these particular routers have been on sale for some time and a fix is yet to be made is unacceptable, a product should only be released to the consumer market once full testing of the device has been carried out. The fact that these have two major faults show that minimal testing has been done.

We'd only ever be using yesterday's technology if that happened.

Lee08
02-10-2008, 09:51 AM
If you check previous posts by myself, I also had problems with a Belkin, and I ended up getting another router. Wratterus is trying to make sense out of my old Belkin piece of cr*p and I am pretty sure he will fail, because it's a cr*p router.

Swap as soon as you can.

sarel

what should I swap for? I did have a linksys wag200g not that long ago but that was poor also and regularly disconnected. I basically need a decent wireless adsl2/2+ router which works properly doesnt disconnect and port forwarding, voip work without issue.

utopian201
02-10-2008, 10:27 AM

While testing would have been done on the device, its not really possible to test -every- possible feature in every possible combination. Basically the more features, the more can go wrong.

But yes, it -is- strange that software can get away with EULA's that say 'No warranty express or implied', but you could never sell any other product (eg car, washing machine) without a warranty!

See if Belkin will consider giving you the developer build before turfing the router. My employer will give out my custom firmwares for a single customer, but there are a lot of provisos, but even then, it usually fixes the problem.

Given the basic nature of the problem, yes it should be pretty high on their priority! Now that I read your first post in detail, yes this problem should not have fallen through the gaps. Hope you get it resolved soon...

Although why does it work when your firewall is disabled? If it is a router problem, i thought the pc configuration shouldn't matter?

Trev
02-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I have had problems with 2 routers. A Linksys AG 241 and a US Robotics 9105, now run a Belkin F5D5630au4 router which I have had for a year, runs 24/7 with no problems. These are all non wireless.
:)

Lee08
03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
any ideas which wireless adsl2/2+ router works well without issues?

Myth
04-10-2008, 05:44 AM
I haven't seen anyone say anything bad about Netgear yet

Maybe do some research on that brand?

zcc
04-10-2008, 03:49 PM
But yes, it -is- strange that software can get away with EULA's that say 'No warranty express or implied', but you could never sell any other product (eg car, washing machine) without a warranty!

You are buying a license to use the software, its copyright.
Thus its like a book, YOU CAN READ ME, but we dont guarantee you will like it!

Well thats the theory I think... in my case if I implement software for a client I always say "I guarantee it will work, but only if you use it as it was tested by you", thus if they start using a new feature and it craps out, then I turn on my time tracker ready for the invoice.

In the case of hardware with software I am of the opinion that "It should work as described", else its false advertising and thats enough for a refund.

ughnz
05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Linksys AG300, with latest firmware does OK with lots of VOIP traffic.

Be sure you disable all of the Application Layer Gateways or else your VOIP traffic will be screwed up.

Mine runs 24/7 with about 3-4 hours per day of VOIP trafic.

It is not without its flaws, and one that is very annoying is that it has been dropping the PPP session at least once a day for the past three weeks.