PDA

View Full Version : How to specify the name of external hard drive?

powerover
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I have had a external hard-drive for a while and I have installed lots of program and music on it, every time I plug it in, it pops up as drive "I" and i am really happy with it.

However, recently I got a second external hard drive, after I plugged both of them in at the same time, my old external started popping up as drive "J", even without the new external hard drive, this up sets the programs I installed on it----they just won't run anymore. furthermore, all my music collection is on there as well, and win-amp won't play them anymore, all because of the name of the drive was changed.

Are there anything I can do to 100% make sure every time I plug in my old external hard drive windows will name it "I" drive?

I am using windows vista business and xp home at the same time, same problem happened on both OSs.

any sort of help will be appreciated, thanks a lot!

gary67
01-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Right click my computer and select manage, then select disk management from there and then highlight the drive you want to change the letter on (it has to be plugged in) from the horizontal bars then select right click it choose change drive letter and path to change it to what you need

powerover
01-10-2008, 05:26 PM
thanks you so much! problem solved! :thumbs: !

gary67
01-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Great I must be getting better