PDA

View Full Version : Pushing emails to iPhone 3G

supersi
01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I Have an iPhone 3G I wish to push my emails to.
I chose the 'other' option in mail, entered my Xnet email account settings and hit save.
It does nothing, the little activity circle keeps going but nothing happens.
Checking with Xnet I had my settings correct. Does the iPhone actually let you push email using your ordinary email account through your ISP?
Or do you have to fork-out out $$$ to the greed merchants at Apple for Mobile Me?

CYaBro
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
What you are doing is actually 'pulling' the emails from Xnet's server.
You have to go and tell the iPhone to check for new mail manually or you may be able to schedule it.

To use the 'Push' email on the iPhone, as far as I know, you need to have a server running Microsoft Exchange. This gets some software installed on it which then pushes out the emails, as they are received, to your iPhone automatically.

supersi
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Previously I had an HP iPaq 6828 PDA phone. It was easy to set up 'pull' emailing on it. The iPhone doesn't seem to be easy.
So my question is to anyone out there who knows.
Can the Apple iPhone 3G 'pull' down my emails from a pop3/imap server run by an ISP and send mail nack through an smtp/imap connection?

Safari
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Just add your account into the mail program on the iphone as you would with any other mail client.
Username, password, email address, incoming and outgoing mail servers.

supersi
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Yep, tried that. No joy. Have contacted ISP & Vodafone. No one seems to know what's up. The iphone technical team is coming back to me. Fingers crossed.....

Safari
01-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Make sure you have SSL turned off for incoming.
Incoming port set to 110

maccrazy
01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
There are quite a few bugs in the iPhone email application, if you can, trying syncing your settings from your computer rather than entering them on the iPhone itself.

Additionally, for push, you need a server that supports push, either Mobile Me, Exchange or another solution. I seem to remember Yahoo! offers push for the iPhone as well.

supersi
01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Make sure you have SSL turned off for incoming.
One of the problems is I can't preconfigure the iPhone's mail settings.
I have to do it on the fly.
i.e after a while of trying to verify my email settings it will say 'unsuccessful, try without SSL enabled'. I hit yes and the little spinning wheel of thought (death) just keeps on spinning.

Safari
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
You don't need SSL for incoming, turn it off manually and make sure the incoming port is set to 110

supersi
01-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I use Thunderbird on my PC as my mail client and of course have iTunes installed. How can I sync my settings from my PC. Can I?