PDA

View Full Version : How Much would you pay - Acer SA80

callum_62
01-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi,

As some will know, thinking of getting a new desktop, but wondering what I could expect to get for my old one.

Acer SA80 desktop

2.8 Ghz AMD
1.5 GB DDR RAM
80GB HDD
Windows XP Home

Nothing else touched since I got it around 3 years ago.

Only thing that seems a wee bit dodgy on it is the DVD burner....CD's work fine, but DVDs hardly ever burn now, so expecting a problem there....not that there expensive to change!

So, howmuch roughly could I expect for this desktop (no monitor).....someone offered me $200 today, but that seems a lil cheap?

Thanks Again all press f1'ers!

wratterus
01-10-2008, 10:20 AM
$200 with a dodgy DVD burner is a very good offer.

I assume it has a legit XP license? If it didn't that would change things...

callum_62
01-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi,

yep, came preinstalled with XP home, and all the usual bundled software crap...COA is stuck on side of desktop.

If I fixed the DVD burner (there only like, what $30 or so), what do you think I would fetch?

or still the $200-$250 region?

Thanks Again guys!

wratterus
01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
With a new DVD RW ($40 - $50), COA on the case, HDD and RAM passed manufactures diagnostic tests and a fresh install of windows, I'd expect you'd get $250 - $300 for it.
:thumbs:

pctek
01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Acer

How much would I pay? I wouldn't touch it if you paid me.

callum_62
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
How much would I pay? I wouldn't touch it if you paid me.

haha, just aswell I have other options then!

actually, I thought the specs were OK when I bought it.

What exactly is so bad about Acers?? :confused:

wratterus
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
What exactly is so bad about Acers?? :confused:

The quality of the parts they use is very bad. I wouldn't touch it either, but most of the people who'd buy it, have no idea. ;)

And it would more than likely be fine.

SolMiester
01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Good luck OP!

callum_62
02-10-2008, 08:17 AM
The quality of the parts they use is very bad. I wouldn't touch it either, but most of the people who'd buy it, have no idea. ;)

And it would more than likely be fine.

Ahhh....see, I didnt know that, and for the most part everything was fine....im guessing all the big brands who manufacture PC's are all of a muchness?

cheers

wratterus
02-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Ahhh....see, I didnt know that, and for the most part everything was fine....im guessing all the big brands who manufacture PC's are all of a muchness?

cheers

Mostly. Acer, HP, Compaq, Dell, Lenovo...they are all much of a muchness. They are all cheap, they all have short warranties.

Asus are normally better.

SolMiester
02-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Mostly. Acer, HP, Compaq, Dell, Lenovo...they are all much of a muchness. They are all cheap, they all have short warranties.

Asus are normally better.

LMAO!...dude, I cant believe you used Acer in the same sentence as HP, Compaq and Lenovo!!. I think you are being a bit unfair their bud. I have absolutely no problems with Compaq & HP. I have had a bad batch of Lenovo motherboards, however they have replaced them including labour.

My main issue with Dell is its over seas telephone support, though most big names are doming that now. You cannot beat a Dell for price period, and if you arent a game enthusiast, they are 8 out of 10 times fine. I think the laptop chassis are a bit dodgy but thats it. As for bloatware, that can be removed.

As for rating ASUS as much better, thats just bollo*ks mate. They have only been in the laptop business 5 bloody minutes...LOL

wratterus
02-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I was talking only about desktops. ;) Laptops are a a different story for sure.

And I wasn't comparing them with each other, I was comparing them with a custom built PC, with good quality components in them and a good warranty.

SolMiester
02-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I was talking only about desktops. ;) Laptops are a a different story for sure.

And I wasn't comparing them with each other, I was comparing them with a custom built PC, with decent quality components in them.

Same goes for desktops, though I have yet to see an ASUS desktop......

wratterus
02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
They make 'em. Not a lot, admittedly.

I'll agree to disagree. I'm not saying any of those brands are rip offs or anything, just that you get what you pay for, which for most people is fine.

pcuser42
02-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Same goes for desktops, though I have yet to see an ASUS desktop......

I've seen one - it's called the Eee box. ;)