PDA

View Full Version : computer is buggered

motorbyclist
30-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Got a call from my parents saying the computer doesn't work, but was working fine running call of duty 4 just hours prior - i can immediately say it's either a virus of some sort or a hardware failure, possibly due to an unsteady footing (they insist on putting it in a desk it doesn't fit into, so only three feet are on the ground at a time)

windows xp professional, legal, auto update, avast antivirus plus whatever else they've done to it
X2 amd6000+
asus m2n sli deluxe (?)
asus 8600gt silent
2GB of ram (maybe four)
sata hard drive and optical drive
power supply up to the task
used for email, browsing, flash games, some CAD work and occasionally gaming

when i built the system i found the system would occasionally fail under heavy gaming load, but not when i was trying to fix it.... suspect the silent video card the problem due to the weight of the heatsink being a bit much for the PCB but ran fine otherwise

what i've done so far:
turned it on, pressed f1 to continue as last boot failed, got as far as loading bar for XP, which went fine and then screen went blank with a working cursor. after a short while it finally produced a login screen, logged on and had an unresponsive desktop with only a working cursor (no keyboard keys seemed to earn a response)
rebooted, and couldn't get past the blank screen
checked the sata connector for the harddrive hadn't fallen out, but no luck there

got out my camera and a linux live cd (ubuntu v6.06 LTS) and loaded that, tried to run linux live and got THIS screen (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCF0664-1024.jpg)
ran with 'noapic' option and got THIS (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCF0665-1024.jpg)then THIS (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCF0666-1024.jpg) then THIS (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCF0667-1024.jpg) which then left me at the shell interface
considering known gaming problems i pulled out the video card and tried an old 6600GT i know to be working. that would boot a working linux, but couldn't boot 'PCMCIA services' (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCF0668-1024.jpg)
next i tried booting windows again with the 6600gt, but it couldn't due to drivers, and bluscreened as soon as it could (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSCF0669-1024.jpg) - i assume that's due to the 6 series card on 8 series drivers
tried to run windows in safe mode, but it would hang on "STDP.sys", even if i pressed esc to cancel it.

any ideas?

anyone know what "..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC" is likely to mean?

(i might add that that version of linux won't boot on my own machine which has same motherboard and similar CPU, only major difference being a silent 9600GT video card)

beama
30-09-2008, 05:43 AM
tried a f8 boot last known good config.
beleive or not i ve known faulty cdrom to cause this problem.
there should be a fail safe boot option in that distro on startup try pushing f2 on boot screen for boot options

SolMiester
30-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Load BIOS defaults to reset....

motorbyclist
30-09-2008, 03:36 PM
tried a f8 boot last known good config.
beleive or not i ve known faulty cdrom to cause this problem.
there should be a fail safe boot option in that distro on startup try pushing f2 on boot screen for boot options

yea tried that

will try f2 on linux

will unplug cdrom and see what happens

Load BIOS defaults to reset....

tried and no luck

wratterus
30-09-2008, 03:45 PM
RAM test.

Use Memtest 86+

motorbyclist
30-09-2008, 04:24 PM
good idea - and ppl laugh when they see i have a floppy drive:rolleyes:

mzee
30-09-2008, 07:25 PM
If you have more than one memory card, remove one at a time & try. Could be a faulty one.

gary67
30-09-2008, 07:51 PM
good idea - and ppl laugh when they see i have a floppy drive:rolleyes:

Why I have a floppy and a card reader and 2 optical drives as well a CD writer and a dual layer DVD writer as well as front USB slots and they all get used :2cents:

wainuitech
30-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Try this - your pic with the blue screen in the original post gives a hint/ possible answer the Stop Error 0X000000B4 along with the second line "The Video Driver Failed to Initialize"

According to MS one reason could be there's a conflict between the LPT1 Printer port and graphics, explaining why no video card change makes any difference.
This problem occurs because of a conflict with the parallel port and the video card, if the parallel port I/O address is set to 03BC.

Have a look This here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240369) on how to fix it.

Note: you may need to boot into the BIOS and see if you can disable the LPT1 port first - the wording under OR near the bottom of the instructions.

motorbyclist
01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
RAM test.

Use Memtest 86+

6 hours (12 tests) with no errors later and i think it's safe to say the ram is ok

cdrom made no difference

linux simply wont boot with the 8600gt installed, but will with the 6600gt as i described in the original post

tomorrow i'll put the 8600gt into another machine and see if that's the problem

motorbyclist
01-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Try this - your pic with the blue screen in the original post gives a hint/ possible answer the Stop Error 0X000000B4 along with the second line "The Video Driver Failed to Initialize"

According to MS one reason could be there's a conflict between the LPT1 Printer port and graphics, explaining why no video card change makes any difference.

Have a look This here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240369) on how to fix it.

Note: you may need to boot into the BIOS and see if you can disable the LPT1 port first - the wording under OR near the bottom of the instructions.

right, that bluscreen doesn't occur with the 8600gt, but does with the 6600gt, assumedly due to driver issues as the bluscreen mentioned

of course that's never happened to me before when swapping things around willy nilly, so will look at disabling the lpt1 port in the bios

can't boot into safe mode with either video card

and not sure if these motherboards even have lpt1 ports

Agent_24
01-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Get a newer version of Ubuntu. it's at 8.04 now, 6.06 was made 2 years ago and probably can't handle your hardware (too new)

or do what the error says and try booting with the 'noapic' option.

motorbyclist
01-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Get a newer version of Ubuntu. it's at 8.04 now, 6.06 was made 2 years ago and probably can't handle your hardware (too new)

or do what the error says and try booting with the 'noapic' option.

i did and it wont work with the 8600

yeah i'll have to get a newer linux, but in the meantime i need to get windows booting

beama
01-10-2008, 06:13 AM
last resort and any data on the disk is in danger of possibly being lost using this method, never happened when Ive done it but still a possibility and should be considered, try a repair install ie over install the existing OS, sometimes called a dirty install.

I always use this as a last resort and never comes with a guarantee of it working.

wainuitech
01-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Can you get into safe mode with Command prompt ?

If you can - Wind the system back a day or two using restore.

At the command prompt, type C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
Press Enter.

Follow the instructions given to perform the System Restore process.

There is other ways of getting restore to work as well,but it requires downloading a program and installing on another XP computer, the XP CD may be required as well.

Agent_24
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
You can also boot from recovery console and manually restore the registry through the command line, which may or may not do something

motorbyclist
01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Can you get into safe mode with Command prompt ?

nope

before resorting to a repair install i will try swapping graphics cards with another machine to see if the 8600gt will run

repair of windows won't help much if it's the hardware at fault:badpc:

wainuitech
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
This may or may not do anything - try booting from the XP CD, select R to enter the recovery console - Select the drive usually Number 1 unless you have windows on a different partition/ Drive letter - when you get to administrator Pass word - simply hit enter.

At the command prompt type in chkdsk /r let it scan the drive, it may find some faults and hopefully repair them.

Unfortunately you cant run system restore back to before it was playing up from the recovery console on the CD, hence the question about safe mode / command prompt - that does work, other wise there is another way to run the system back, but depends how much work you want to do instead of a repair install.(which also have no effect)

motorbyclist
03-10-2008, 11:23 PM
chkdsk is a good idea actually

will do that (and the video card) this saturday with a bit of luck

motorbyclist
06-10-2008, 06:37 PM
This may or may not do anything - try booting from the XP CD, select R to enter the recovery console - Select the drive usually Number 1 unless you have windows on a different partition/ Drive letter - when you get to administrator Pass word - simply hit enter.

At the command prompt type in chkdsk /r let it scan the drive, it may find some faults and hopefully repair them.

tried but no one knows the password

think i've figured out what it was, but now whenever i boot it gives one long beep then three short ones

which a quick google tells me is the video card (or ram, but memtest told me that was fine)

so, off to test the vid card i guess (maybe the slot is buggered?)

motorbyclist
09-10-2008, 02:29 AM
righto

chucked the 7600GT into the machine and it POSTs again :D

but she still won't boot windows.

ran chkdsk and it corrected "one or more" errors on the disk.....

and sure enough i'm still getting a bsod during/ending loading windows

but atleast the stop code has changed

0x000000B4 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240369) but didn't day anything about video drivers

suppose i'll try to boot into safe mode at the next oppurtunity

Silver_Blade
09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Heres what i found about that stop code.....
A user accidentally started the install of a new video driver then rebooted the system in the middle of the process, thus corrupting the VGA video drivers for XP.

Upon restart the receive the error:
stop 0x000000B4
Cannot start in Safe Mode, VGA Mode and Last Known Good does nothing.

None of the following support documents address the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250271
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=240369
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319120

Of course reinstalling Windows would fix the problem but completely wipe out all the My Documents and every installed program. This would result in a several hour job to reinstall everything and is NOT a viable option until there is absolutely no hope of anthing else working.

I have been able to install a 2nd copy of XP and can now access all the files on the system.

QUESTION: Is there *any* way to copy, move, merge, etc the video files, drivers, settings, etc. from the new installation of XP into the old one?

I reckon a repair of xp is required or try putting the sata hard drive into a pc working and back up the data then do a clean install of xp... your choice
but a clean install is clean.. and a repair is dirty....
Hope this helps:rolleyes:

motorbyclist
12-10-2008, 01:30 PM
yeah it looks liek that might be the way to go

although i don't know how the drivers got buggered, that might be the error that chkdsk picked up

motorbyclist
28-10-2008, 03:25 AM
SO, i finally got another crack at it today after special circumstances led to this possibly being a virus issue (turns out another networked machine got same problem at the same time, after being taken to little brother's lan party)

so, the other machine (incidentally, my 'server'/box of hard drives that has been missing for a few weeks now due to being broken after borrowed without asking - go figure) was easily fixed with a repair install.

meanwhile the parent's machine still refuses to load windows. after sitting and watching the second repair attempt, it finished everything successfully, rebooted and spent the next hour at the windows loading screen. gave up and restarted, and unsurprisingly still stuck at loading screen with the bar moving and everything.

any suggestions that don't include the word "reformat" or "reinstall"??

gary67
28-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Shoot it maybe with a shotgun or the little brother. I have no idea seems like you have tried everything already

stormdragon
28-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Have you tried slaving the drive and scanning it, as you said malware maybe involved in its demise.

P.S. Is it just more or is the forum going really really slow at the moment?

Agent_24
28-10-2008, 09:21 AM
If you suspect a virus, why not pull the HDD, and scan it in a different PC with an Antivirus (or 5)?

If that does nothing then you probably will have to reinstall - though if you've got a spare drive I'd do a test install to that, just to make sure you're not formatting the old install for nothing

Stormdragon: it's going mighty slow for me too... I suspect the upgrade...

motorbyclist
29-10-2008, 01:21 AM
If you suspect a virus, why not pull the HDD, and scan it in a different PC with an Antivirus (or 5)?

cause i'm lazy:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2008, 07:52 AM
cause i'm lazy:thumbs:

Well, then you'll never fix it. If youre too lazy to remove it, if its infected

Have you ever thought of updating the BIOS? If there's an update?

motorbyclist
29-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Well, then you'll never fix it. If youre too lazy to remove it, if its infected

Have you ever thought of updating the BIOS? If there's an update?

well i did start the thread almost a month ago....

i'm sure there is an update, but i'm also sure that's not the issue.

of course i'll pop out the drive, but that means i need a computer to put it in, and my own is far too valuable this close to exams to have ruined.
So I'll pop it in my "server", but as it's usb ports don't work (long story) i need to first find a PS/2 mouse, of which i possess none:o

the other option is a reinstall, but that would likely require more work to get everything set back up

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2008, 02:49 PM
A guy here (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-191355.html) had the same prob (with the IOAPIC error, in the 1st post)

He's also using the same mobo (M2N-SLI Deluxe). He updated the BIOS, it fixed the error.

So, if you do have this mobo, (check first), I would update the BIOS

motorbyclist
29-10-2008, 03:08 PM
ooh, well in that case i'll be updating the bios then!

*continues studying*

motorbyclist
29-10-2008, 04:37 PM
LOL just realised i have a usb->ps2 adapter

Agent_24
29-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah I wouldn't be so sure about the BIOS not being the problem either. There's no telling what a buggy BIOS (or anything for that matter) may do.

Strange problems like yours are not impossible (and maybe not just the IOAPIC error)