PDA

View Full Version : Acer XC5651 not starting up

WayneMiddy
26-09-2008, 03:17 PM
This Acer desktop failing to start up comes up with missing Config file have tried Alt F10 does not boot into Recovery Console, has XP home on HDD I believe ? Did not come with any CD as was brought from Cash Convertors 6 months ago
Thanks for any help in advance
Wayne

CYaBro
26-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds like someone has reloaded XP Home from scratch (Cash Converters perhaps) but in the process has deleted the recovery partition, that's why it won't load when you press ALT+F10.

Know anyone who has an XP Home CD?
Your XP Home license should be on a sticker somewhere on the machine.

wainuitech
26-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Has the PC been running Ok up till this problem ?

Also whats the full error message, Would it be -

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

BTW - Welcome to PF1

WayneMiddy
26-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes wainuitech missing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM and yes its been running great, I dont have it here at the moment but i can pull the HDD and piggyback on my laptop if i need to.She only paid $300 for it would they reload XP on a $300 machine.
Thanks for the help guys
Wayne

PS thanks for the welcome wainuitech but what is BTW?

Speedy Gonzales
26-09-2008, 08:45 PM
BTW - By the way

wainuitech
26-09-2008, 09:01 PM
What you can try, as a lot of the so called suggestions on the net relating to transferring certain files dont work - I had to do this yesterday as my media center spat the dummy with the exact same problem, and I needed it in a hurry (short version - the Mrs would have been pissed if I didn't record a certain program) - only problem is you may need a XP CD, unless the laptop you have has the I386 folder in it.

Download Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows (http://www.ubcd4win.com/) - its quite large - 239MB - install it on a working XP computer, make a bootable CD - boot from it, and follow the path as shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/UBCD1222417984.jpg) - it will load the windows System Restore,( can provide more in depth instructions if you want tomorrow) - wind the system back to the latest restore point it made, and reboot - hopefully you'll have a working system - while this may seem a little long winded this CD is priceless in saving other wise stuffed OS's.

She only paid $300 for it would they reload XP on a $300 machine. Depends on who / how it was done - imaging a OS back can take as little as 10 minutes.

WayneMiddy
26-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Have downloaded UBCD onto my laptop ( has XP pro) and Nero more instructions tomorrow would be great thanks. As in do i copy UBCD exe file into nero window to create a bootable CD, do i need to install UBCD on this Laptop first,
Cheers
Wayne

WayneMiddy
27-09-2008, 07:57 AM
I see from looking at the UBCD website i have to burn the fie as an iso to the cd, not sure how to do that.
Cheers
Wayne

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2008, 08:00 AM
If Nero is installed, double click on the ISO, it may open Nero (if its the default program for ISO's). If it is, click on burn to burn it to a blank cd

Then put the cd in reboot / change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the cd, / save the settings in the BIOS / reboot, and let it boot from the cd

WayneMiddy
27-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks but i only have the exe file on my hdd (245mb) UBCD4winV320
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
27-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Okay - FULL Instructions - on the laptop, turn off any antivirus and antispyware - some of the components are seen as infections from the install.exe - they aren't its just the way it works, any antivirus may damage the install and stop it from working. ( it is Harmless)

Make a new folder on the desktop - call it what ever you want, I called it UBCD.

Install the UBCD4Win .exe on the laptop - follow the instructions as it goes, use default settings - While its installing it will ask for verification to make sure its installed correctly - select yes - when it asks for the update patch select NO - there is none(currently).

Once installed it will say run the program ( box ticked) select yes - it may pop under the current open box so check. Agree to any prompts/ Licenses etc.

Next it will ask to search for the windows install files - select YES - it will search, NOW as long as the Laptop has the I386 folder installed it will locate it - if it doesn't you will need a XP CD to copy the I386 folder to the laptop, other wise it WONT WORK.

Assuming it locates the I386 folder, select it - select Burn to CD/DVD (not the one I selected/ showed, thats the next step- Maybe) - Example here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Media_Output.png) Make sure there is a Blank CD in the drive - click Build - You may get a message saying folder doesn't exist - select YES to make the folder it wants - you will see a LOT of files being copied and a lot of activity - touch nothing - it will burn the CD - may take 5-10 minutes.

IF for some reason it doesn't burn the CD (this does happen on slower PC's sometimes ) - Open the program from the desktop ( new Icon there) this time select create ISO image. Then using your Image burning software create a CD from the image in the folder.

Once CD is made - boot from the CD - ( takes a while as its loading) you dont need network support so select NO when that asks.

Once loaded, click Start/Programs/Registry Tools/Registry Restore Wizard ( Press Enter)

Make sure your OS is selected - it should be C:\windows (Press Enter)

Make Sure “Fix the System To that of a Previous State” is dotted, (press enter) select the last restore point from the list / dates - click Next / Yes, it will restore the Date/registry selected, then close the window when finished - Next click the Start button/ Shutdown, select from the drop down box Restart/Eject.

The CD will eject and the PC will hopefully start normally - if it doesn't reboot from the CD and select an earlier restore point.

WayneMiddy
27-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Will try tomorrow thanks
cheers
Wayne

WayneMiddy
02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi again have built the UBCD4winV320 CD and works great, however restored the acer back 4 times with no joy. I have gone back 4 months now, do i need to go back further or find a xp home CD and boot off that as previously suggested? The XP Home licence sticker is on the side of the case.
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
No need to go back any further with restore points as they are created when the PC was up and running OK. The downlaoding / Creating of the UBCD is not wasted as its a useful CD when you get in trouble (sometimes)

Right - seems you may have to do a repair install - you'll need the XP CD as well as the 25 digit Product key for the OS, which should be on the case somewhere.

If you have Windows XP Home, you must use a XP Home CD.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

NOTE: if it doesn't locate your old OS STOP! As any further actions may result in wiping your data.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This will reinstall XP leaving all the data/ Programs intact (meant to, works 99% of the time.)

NOW IF you dont have the product key - Heres where UBCD can help again - I'll come back in a Moment with full instructions to locate the existing Key.

WayneMiddy
02-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks Wainuitech i have the product key on the case, just got to find someone to lend me xp home CD as i only have XP pro that came with this laptop.
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
02-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok that saves a bit of grief having the product key. I got all the instructions on how to recover it for future reference.

Yep if you have XP Hm then you need a XP Home CD.

Unless :nerd: - just a crazy thought - boot from the UBCD again on the desktop double click the My Computer / Double click the C: Drive look to see if there is a folder there called I386.

If there is there may be a way of repair installing without the CD, from UBCD - never tried it (yet - give me 10 minutes :D )

WayneMiddy
02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Will have a look for the i386 folder tomorrow.( oops nearly is tomorrow)
Cheers
Wayne

WayneMiddy
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Just me back again, wanuitech followed your instuctions untill step 5 seems its want to do a fresh install. I get 3 options Setup XP on selected items Press Enter.
To create partition in the unpartition space press C
To delete the selected partition press D

C:Partition1 system (NTFS) 20003 mb 7374mb free
H:Partition 2 Data (NTFS) 58157mb 53874 free

I take it the recovery sofware lives in in the H partition but is not working.
I also have borrowed 4 Acer disks they are for a laptop Aspire 3000/5000 series Recovery CD Rev 1.0
Are these of any help?
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Damn - OK if the original Operating system does not show when starting a repair install you have to be very careful other wise you can lose the lot.

Boot from the XP CD, this time select R at stage (step 3) - hopefully it will see your installed OS, select the drive with the OS on (C: drive), usually 1 - when you get to the password, simply hit enter.

At the command prompt C:\windows> type in fixboot press enter and agree to any prompts, type in Exit - try the PC again see if it will start normally, if not try the exact same but this time type fixmbr restart the PC, if it still wont start try booting again from the XP CD as before and see if the original OS is now visible ( Step 5) This here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/XPPressR.gif) is what you want to be able to see - image from another site, and yours will say XP Home.

Failing all that - Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't, other times it gets part way through and wont complete, boot into the recovery console.
This time type in bootcfg /rebuild, press enter, it will look for any windows installs, hopefully it will locate yours, select Y to add, press enter,and hopefully it will load it in, then try rebooting.

Edited: The Acer recovery CD's wont be of any use unless its the exact same model as the recovery CD's. Recovery CD's have drivers built into them for hardware, and the right hardware must match the right CD's.

Other wise bit like putting water in your fuel tank - it will go in but wont work.

WayneMiddy
06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Dos does not recognize the rebuild part of last command. I typed it at command prompt as bootcfg/rebuild
Looked in help couldn't find rebuild
Hope this makes sence
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Dos does not recognize the rebuild part of last command. I typed it at command prompt as bootcfg/rebuild
Looked in help couldn't find rebuild
Hope this makes sence
Cheers
Wayne Theres a single space needed between bootcfg /rebuild Eg: g /r

bootcfg /rebuild

IF this does work, you will be asked two Questions regarding the system ID, for this purpose either put in 1 or Y --- Soon can be changed it it works, the whole Idea is to get the system going first. IF this works on the reboot select which ever you put in 1 or Y.

WayneMiddy
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
No go with this I tried all 3 options think i will start from scratch and reload the os owner not to worried about data.
Thanks for all your hard work and help. Have a couple of issues with this laptop with i will post latter.
Cheers
Wayne

WayneMiddy
08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Ok looking to reload os do i need to delete any partitions first, can load os over the top of current os or do i create a new partition?

C:Partition1 system (NTFS) 20003 mb 7374mb free
H:Partition 2 Data (NTFS) 58157mb 53874 free
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
08-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Before deleting anything - have you got the drivers for the hardware - you can boot from the UBCD, with a USB drive connected and search through the C: drive, sometimes they put the drivers in a folder, unless you have a driver CD, if they are there copy them to the USB drive for later.

No Need to delete partitions etc, simply boot from the CD, tell it to install on drive C:, you'll get warning about other systems conflict etc, but carry on, then you will get to the point you can select format the drive - make sure you select NTFS, and follow instructions on screen - this will wipe the C: drive, format it and install XP, you'll need the product key.

WayneMiddy
08-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi wainiuitech found Drivers Cache folder with i386 folder in that, drivers cab file 61 mb in size plus other files i take it this what you mean?
Also found a Repair folder on c drive in it is a CONFIG.NT 3 kb Dated 9/03/2006 and CONFIG TEMP 3kb 4/08/2006
There is same config file in the systems32 folder with same size and date.
Can I copy this file into the systems folder or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Narrrr The driver files ( .exe's) I was referring to are sometimes loaded into a folder on the C Drive, sometimes not.

What is the actual Model number of this Machine, I went looking on Acer site for Acer XC5651 and couldn't find any thing - in fact a Google search only brings up theses threads ?? I was looking for drivers to give a link ????

As for the config file - Dunno - never tried it - cant hurt to copy it/over write it, the worst its going to do is start up :) Try it and see, it was going to be wiped any way.

WayneMiddy
09-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Couldn't find any driver files, the model number i suppect is a Dick Smith product number and is all i can find on the outside, will have a look inside and report back.
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Looked up that number again and DSE did have something with that code.

to locate what it actually is, remove the side of the case, look on the motherboard, someplace will be a set of numbers/letters printed on the board saying what it is. Example Only (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Example_name.jpg) yours will be different.

WayneMiddy
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
The motherboard is a ASUS The model is either KBV-MX or K8V-MX
Thanks again
Wayne

wainuitech
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Go to Asus Driver downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us) on the right from the three drop down boxes, select

Motherboard
Socket754
K8V-MX

Hit search - on the window that opens select Windows XP

And there are all the drivers:

You will need
Audio
VGA
LAN

Others you dont need. Save to someplace like a removable drive / CD. Reinstall XP and load the drivers - all " Should be good to go"

WayneMiddy
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
All sorted thanks very much.
Cheers
Wayne

wainuitech
10-10-2008, 02:04 PM
All sorted thanks very much.
Cheers
Wayne
No Worries :thumbs: - keep the drivers in a safe Location in case they are ever needed again.