PDA

View Full Version : H P Pavilion Vista Repair

PENTIUM
26-09-2008, 08:25 AM
A friend has accidentally deleted most of the Windows Vista games and is in deep poo with his partener. The machine is an H P Pavillion with no OEM CD but a version on the hard-drive in a separate D drive partition. I have done the usual things like trying System Restore to an earlier date but it looks to be more is required. How do I re-install his version of Windows Vista on a D drive in a cabinet file so as to reinstate the games without accidentally wiping out his Office 2007 and Antivirus licences. He does not want to pay heaps to the original vendor and be without the machine for a protracted period as happened on a previous occasion.
Constructive advice will be appreciated.

CYaBro
26-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Can you not just go into the Control Panel - Programs - Turn Windows features on or off.
This will open up a window with a list of Windows features and you should see Games on the list.
You may need to remove them and then reinstall to get them back.

wainuitech
26-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Ewww Someones in troubleeeeee:eek:

Seriously - I suspect its just the shortcuts to the games, to remove the games completely is damn awkward - try this

Click on the stat orb - Control Panel/ ( make sure you are in Classic Mode, - Top left select classic mode) then - programs and features, on the left Select "Turn Windows Features On or Off" - the box will open and it may take a while - when open , scroll down till you find "Games" ( should be the second one down) - if its ticked - untick it - Click OK, close the window, then reopen and tick it , Click OK - the games "Should" reload back in.

Friend out of the poo :lol:

Blam
26-09-2008, 08:56 AM
This should do the trick:

Go to Control Panel>Add/remove>on left hand side>Turn on or off windowss feature(or something like that, on XP side currently :D)
Then untick "Games" then click apply/ok, then go back into that window
again and tick games and apply.

Hope this helps!
Blam

PENTIUM
26-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Many thanks. It works now.
My friend is going to be a very happy chappie.