PDA

View Full Version : getting network to shed

wotz
25-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Can I lay a cat5 cable in the trench with power cable, or is that asking for trouble?

Erayd
25-09-2008, 05:18 PM
It's not really a smart idea, especially if it's a long run. You can also end up with ground loops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)) if this is an inter-building link.

stormdragon
25-09-2008, 05:19 PM
How far are you looking at running it?

IMO you'd be better off running it though so pvc pipe or similar to project it from the elements a bit.

MushHead
25-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Ethernet uses isolating transformers at the interface - shouldn't have a problem with ground loops, although if your cable pairs get wet or damaged you will kill the link, so using jelly-filled cable (expensive!?) or a PVC pipe would be a good idea. The pipe will be easier if you do have a problem & then you can put in replacement cable easily, or a 2nd cable for phone or whatever.

zcc
25-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Try moving the shed closer...?
Why not go wireless?
Or do sheds in NZ shake at the idea of wireless?

Erayd
26-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Ethernet uses isolating transformers at the interface - shouldn't have a problem with ground loops...
Except that these are usually extremely small, and can't filter out the kind of current you can easily end up getting on an inter-building run.

wotz
26-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I need a wireless extender to get a decent connection. I thought chucking a cable in the whole when the drains / power are done might be cost effective, but thought being close to the power might be a problem.

Happy Harry
26-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I need a wireless extender to get a decent connection. I thought chucking a cable in the whole when the drains / power are done might be cost effective, but thought being close to the power might be a problem. If you have a trench open out to your shed, definitley run some Cat5-6 through some alkathene pipe in the trench at the same time.
It will not be a problem running in the same trench with the AC power cable.
I would put at least 2 Cat5 cable runs out to the shed You may want to put phones/alarms out there at a later date.
The cost of alkathene and the cables is minimal compared to having to dig it all up to do later.
Cheers
HH

wratterus
26-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Yep, I've done a similar thing with Cat5 and Alkathene piping, worked a treat. about 60m I think it was, wired it alongside the power, and into a RJ-45 jack in the wall. Use larger pipe, rather than smaller, and run a couple of bits of string along with it, (5 or 6 even) that way you can run about anything you want out there easily. :thumbs:

wainuitech
26-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Yep, I've done a similar thing with Cat5 and Alkathene piping, worked a treat. about 60m I think it was, wired it alongside the power, and into a RJ-45 jack in the wall. Use larger pipe, rather than smaller, and run a couple of bits of string along with it, (5 or 6 even) that way you can run about anything you want out there easily. :thumbs: Thats exactly how my workshop is set up - you been spying wratterus:p I have 4 cat5 cables, as well as the Phone line all running in the one pipe, and the power is in the same trench in its own separate Pipe. - No problems what so ever, cable length is around 50Mtrs.

wratterus
26-09-2008, 12:10 PM
:lol: :p

The similarities are disturbing. Although the one I did wasn't for me...