PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Signs out straight after signing in...

Lee08
24-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Have a clients pc here which once you enter the user password to sign into windows xp home (sp2) it loads the desktop background for about a second and then before you can do anything it immediatley signs out and goes back to the login screen. Tried loading it up in safe mode but does exactly the same thing.

Has anyone come across this before? and if so how do you fix it without reinstalling the os?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Do a repair or connect it to a working computer then scan it for viruses / malware

wainuitech
24-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Seen this problem once on a customers PC - had to find the damn instructions again from the Net ( should have book marked it) - the instructions worked for me that time - May work for you ???

This problem turns out to be that the Winlogon userinit entry is being set to "wsaupdater.exe" instead of "userinit.exe".

1. Boot from a Windows XP CD Press R and go into the recovery console.

2. Log into the administrator account. ( You usually press Enter when asking for password = Blank Password)

3. Change your current directory to the system32 folder. type: cd c:\windows\system32

4. Overwrite wsaupdaterexe with userinit.exe. type: copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

5. Exit and reboot. type: exit (computer will automatically reboot, take CD out).

Lee08
24-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Seen this problem once on a customers PC - had to find the damn instructions again from the Net ( should have book marked it) - the instructions worked for me that time - May work for you ???

tried your solution but didnt fix the prob :crying

back to the drawing board, dont really wana reinstall as theres lots of programs and data on here even though ive backed it all up.

bevy121
24-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Is there any other user accounts to log in to?

are they the same

What about logging in as administrator, is that possible?

Lee08
24-09-2008, 10:39 PM
no other user accounts, yes the administrator account is visible under safe mode however it does the same thing as the main account.

bevy121
24-09-2008, 11:21 PM
If it's not malware, it could be the userinit corrupt in the registry...

This may be worth a go - your choice :)
(maybe use something better than repair mode consul to do it tho)

Also first.... have you tried "last known good configuration" at bootup as well?

Re: Windows XP logs in & logs out again & again :(
yoyo!

Finally got everything back to normal.
As iinfi said, it was a problem with the userinit key in the registry. I restored the old registry from one of the system restore files in my windows partition.

For those who might end up with such a problem later [Or if you wish to restore your registry to an older version - probably if some virus corrupted it or something] then do this:

Use Windows XP Installation CD to go to Repair mode.
Then type:

dir "c:\system volume information"

Change to the Restore Point folder by entering

cd "c:\system volume
information\_restore{bb7e35f9-d278-45fa-9dde-fe709cd0f23d}"
^^ Value in { } will vary..

List the Restore Points by typing "dir", choose the second to the latest
one, and change to its snapshot folder.

cd "c:\system volume
information\_restore{bb7e35f9-d278-45fa-9dde-fe709cd0f23d}\rp1219\snapshot"
^^ Again the value after \rp#### will vary... choose from the dir listing

Copy the following config files to the \config folder by entering

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Repeat for sam, security, and software . Then copy 'default' by entering

copy _registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Thats it!! Registry restored to old backup

PS: I used ubuntu to do the above tasks... Sometimes it helps to have 2 OS!!

Thnx to everyone for helping out!