PDA

View Full Version : Several reboots to get started

smilingdragon
24-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I started having problems with my PC recently on startup and decided to rebuild the OS to clear out any possible issues.

However the reinstall of WinXP has not fixed the problem. Also it seems to be getting worse.

On startup I get the video card text info then the initial boot text screen with info about the memory etc. Then I get a beep (usual noise iirc) (AMI BIOS) and then when it should start loading windows I get a blank screen. The hard drive light is on and nothing. :badpc:

After a few retries it boots to windows and is fine. Runs ok and no crashes after this.

Intel P4 2.8ghz, 2 gb ram, 7900gs AGP card, relatively new seagate ide hard drive, power supply and graphics card about 4 months old, WinXP SP2, Soltek mobo, about 4-5 years old.

SolMiester
24-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Blank screen?, but the monitor light stays green?, or goes to amber?

Sounds like the video card is failing, try removing and resetting. If not that, I would suspect the motherboard.

smilingdragon
24-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Monitor light is still green. Blank screen and black but not dark if that makes sense.

smilingdragon
25-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Well...I found my answer to this problem. Several capacitors on the motherboard are failing. There are little "volcanoes" and raised surfaces on them. :dogeye:

However this is the perfect excuse to buy some new hardware. Even if it is an expensive one.

SolMiester
25-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Well...I found my answer to this problem. Several capacitors on the motherboard are failing. There are little "volcanoes" and raised surfaces on them. :dogeye:

However this is the perfect excuse to buy some new hardware. Even if it is an expensive one.

Ah..yes, that will do it.......I have had a batch of Lenovo's go the same way!!

Agent_24
25-09-2008, 05:35 PM
If you're upgrading, you wouldn't be interested in selling the old board would you?

utopian201
25-09-2008, 05:39 PM
if you're handy with a soldering iron, you may be able to salvage it.

My brother was given a video card because it had leaky capacitors. He replaced the caps, and now the card works like new.

smilingdragon
26-09-2008, 12:34 PM
A friend mentioned soldering, but the machine is a little old and the new machine will have a quad core cpu. Also I am not experienced with a soldering iron.

A work colleague has claimed the old box. Sorry Agent 24. :)