PDA

View Full Version : dual boot

pythagros
23-09-2008, 01:15 PM
After my children crahsed the computer for the nth time I decided to look at dual boot.

I have two hard drives (both SATA) and two different Windows XP Pro CDs.

The plan was to load one XP Pro CD on one hard drive for us parents and the other for the children.

I loaded Windows XP Pro on the first hard drive in C: drive and the necessary softwares. That was no problem.

But after loading the second Windows XP Pro in the second hard drive, and windows automatically call it D: I find that I couldn't boot from C anymore. In fact I ended up re-loading all the software again in the second harddrive (D:) in order to read data (e.g. Office 2003) in the C drive.

I really want to boot from the first drive (C:) because it's the faster one of the two, is there a way I can swap the two around so that when I boot the machine up it will boot from C: instead of D which is the second case?

Now when I boot up I see two Windows XP Pro loadings, the first works (which is D drive) and second doesn't.

Blam
23-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Why didn't you make user accounts instead?

pythagros
23-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Explain please

pythagros
23-09-2008, 01:56 PM
But don't the account users use the same hard-drive? I'm hoping to have two separate hard drives and systems so when the kids' drive crash next time ours will be safe.

Agent_24
23-09-2008, 01:57 PM
You can have more than one user account on the same windows installation...

So you could make an administrator one for yourself and a limited (or use the guest account) for the children

You can do it in control panel -> user accounts

wainuitech
23-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Try EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) - load it on the working drive and follow the instructions through.

This allows to separate hard drives to be used, and you select which one on startup and if one gets altered it generally wont alter the other.

The site above has links to screen shots as well as documentation on the bottom of that page provided.

You can use accounts as Agent_24 mentions and that is fine but if the system goes belly up on one account it will affect the other, esp if its in teh boot files etc.

wainuitech
23-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Ignore the above - I forgot that it is mainly for dual booting XP/Vista/Linux.

Instead have a read of This here (http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/Dual-Boot-XP-drives-ftopict580392.html)

pythagros
23-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Wainuitech, being both SATA hard drives they each have their own independent access to the motherboard. I've checked the BIOS again and I've got the order correct (e.g. C hard drive first boot & D hard drive 2nd). The only problem I can see is - I loaded the second XP Pro into the D drive second and it's almost as if Windows has taken the latest loading and make it first.

I checked the notebook.ini command and sure enough the D: has boot beside it while C system. It seems like I'm stuck with pre-arrangement of windows.

wainuitech
23-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Been a while since I have dual booted Xp - but just redid it (had to scratch the gray matter ) and here's what worked.

Both systems were first installed on single drives, only 1 drive connected at a time, boot from that drive making sure it boots correctly, remove the connection, connect the other drive and boot from it to make sure thats OK.

Connect both drives, Start the Computer - 1 will boot as C Drive and from My computer you can open it and see the other Drive, usually D. make sure you know which drive is C and which is D.

Now - on the desktop,Right click "My Computer" /Properties / On the Advanced tab, click Startup and Recovery, and then click Edit: You will get notepad opening and it will say something like this :::

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Home" /NoExecute=OptIn

Now Copy the bottom line so it reads like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Home" /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Home" /NoExecute=OptIn

Where I have put it in Red you can call it what ever you like , mum and Dads, kids , the dog next door - what ever.

Save the file, Ok out of the boxes and reboot - what you will then get is a screen on reboot that allows you to select which OS to load, you move the arrow keys to which one, Press enter.

I did one as an example and called it Windows backup Drive, and the original is media center Edition I'm "playing" On, It is in fact a working XP HM. See This Picture for options (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Dual_Boot.JPG)

Just to show you can call it what ever you want I'm Ahead of the world (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Silly.JPG) on the second drive :lol:

Note: in the first line there is no gap between window s Its all one word windows copying the boot loader to here does that gap.

pythagros
24-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks very much Wainuitech, you're a genius!!

wainuitech
24-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks very much Wainuitech, you're a genius!!
:lol: I been called worse - hope it works OK for you.