PDA

View Full Version : Modem/Router endless Handshaking & Training

dotbond
22-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi.

I have a Dynalink RTA1335 4 Port Modem Router and recently it has been doing endless loops of Training and Handshaking for upwards of 30 minutes. Then it suddenly lets you access the internet. I thought it was just this particular unit but my older single port ADSL modem, another Dynalink RTA 1320 does the same thing.
ISP is Orcon and approx 3 weeks ago they sent a technician out to check wiring and the exchange and everything checked out fine xcept for a phone that needed updating as that was causing low download speeds, like dialup. This appeared to be fixed except when it did it again this morning but came right when i swapped routers again.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks
Trev

Peter Coleman
22-09-2008, 10:22 PM
When it does sync up,what speed does it sync up at?(upstream and down stream rates)

Peter

CYaBro
23-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Was this a self-install (filters on all phones etc) or did a tech come out and install a master ADSL splitter?
Do you have a monitored alarm?

If you did a self-install I would start by unplugging all phones, faxes, Sky decoders etc from the phone line and then doing some testing.
It could be one of your filters or a filter missing from something that is plugged in.
Where abouts are you? Rural or in town?

dotbond
24-09-2008, 02:30 PM
It was a self install with filters on all lines.
There is a St Johns monitered alarm on one of the lines. Although that is not plugged into a filter. Don't know if it's ment to be that way but when the technician came and checked thaplace out a couple of weeks ago he didn't change the setup.

Live in Dunedin.
When the connection is sync'd download is anywhere from 100 kB/s to 300kB/s
and upload is around 80kB/s.

Thanks
Trev

jackyht2002
24-09-2008, 10:51 PM
It was a self install with filters on all lines.
There is a St Johns monitered alarm on one of the lines. Although that is not plugged into a filter. Don't know if it's ment to be that way but when the technician came and checked thaplace out a couple of weeks ago he didn't change the setup.

Live in Dunedin.
When the connection is sync'd download is anywhere from 100 kB/s to 300kB/s
and upload is around 80kB/s.

Thanks
Trev

i certainly believed it is the St John Monitor alarm causing your modem to be handshaking and training...

Peter Coleman
24-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Unplug everything and then just plug the router in by itself.Then go into the router and see what it says are the upstream and down stream rates,not the download rates,the connection rates at the router.It does sound like the St John alarm could be causing a problem,as it needs a filter as well as all the other phones,faxes,sky etc on the line.

Peter

dotbond
25-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll give the unplug everything routine ago next time it happens. And see my speeds through the modem. All my speed tests are done through the Speedtest.net site.

And i shall investigate more regarding the St Johns Alarm to see if it is safe to run that through a filter. I assume it uses the same bandwidth as a phone???

Thanks
Trev.