PDA

View Full Version : Microphone problem in XP Pro

Joe_Davies
21-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi everyone

I recently installed Skype on my laptop (running XP Pro), and I had a few problems getting the mic to register any sound. Eventually, I found a volume control for sound recording in the options/properties dialogue box of the audio button in the Control Panel and the mic worked fine after I turned that up.

I went to do the same thing on my desktop PC, also running XP Pro, (an older version, I guess) but I couldn't find an option for turning on the recording volume.

I have run MS's testing hardware programme on the audio controller, and it registers sounds coming through the mic, but Skype does not receive any signal from my mic.

Does anyone know where to find the option to turn on sound recording?

Any help much appreciated.

Joe Davies

rumpty
21-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Your mic is available in Skype under Tools - options - audio settings, is it?

Joe_Davies
21-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi and thanks,

Well, it is listed there, but it still doesn't make any sound when I run the call testing thingy.

I tried the Windows Default device setting there too in case, but had the same result.

In my other XP Pro, on my laptop, there was a separate setting for the Sound Recording volume. The mic was as silent on my laptop as it is now on the desktop until I set the volume and allowed it to record sounds, but I can't find that setting on the desktop.

Any ideas anyone?

Joe Davies