PDA

View Full Version : windows 2000

Mike
16-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I have replaced mobo, cpu, video, ram etc. in my friends' computer due to a cpu failure. On their HDD is Windows 2000 and all their files etc.

I can't boot Win 2000, due to a change in HDD controller apparently, so is it safe to install Win 2000 over the top of the current install, or does that run the risk of losing their files etc.?

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2008, 06:28 PM
If its a different mobo I would do a clean install

So, copy what you want (except programs that have been installed, they'll have to be reinstalled)

Mike
16-09-2008, 06:47 PM
If its a different mobo I would do a clean installI'm not sure that answers my question?

Mike.

feersumendjinn
16-09-2008, 06:57 PM
so is it safe to install Win 2000 over the top of the current install, or does that run the risk of losing their files etc.?
It will (run the risk ;)).

Put his drive in another computer as a slave (in IDE), and recover any data (and mail, contacts, bookmarks etc he needs), dont forget to record mail account settings, and modem settings if on dial-up, then do a clean install, youll probably need compatible drivers for the new hardware to match Win2K.
You could also try this
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows2000/AdminTips/TroubleShooting/ManualvsFastRepairinWindows2000.html

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Well lets put it this way.

It will probably crash, if you install over it, if the new mobo isnt the same as the old one

wainuitech
16-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Do what feersumendjinn suggested first, save all the data just in case, then id a repair install as if it were windows XP - theres a good chance it will install OK then load in the new Mother board drivers.

Win 2000 has the same repair install capabilities as XP. I've done it a couple of times with 2000 with no problems. Follow the instructions below, but where it says XP put in Win2000

You will need your 25 digit product key for this.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.
1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
NOTE: if it doesn't locate your old OS STOP! As any further actions may result in wiping your data.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.