PDA

View Full Version : Tricky one w\SP3

SolMiester
15-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi all, thought some of the advance users might like to try resolve this one, I have come to a brick wall...

Okay, to start...about 3 wks after sp3 released, i installed on my pc (stupid as this has all my management software on). I didnt have any issues with install, booted okay, BUT, i could login to our network (win2003 domain..). I logged into local workstation and did some connectivity tests and find that I was lossing half my pings.???
Vhecked drivers etc to no avail, uninstalled sp3, re-installed sp2, still no go with the onboard NIC (NV). So thru in a PCI NIC and all good. Resolved not to install sp3 again until i found out the issue.

today, i tried again, against my better judgement even though sp3 in fine on the home pc, no connectivity issues period.
Anyway, today after sp3 install, same problem, both NIC's losing half the pings!

So, another re-build to sp2, as un-install didnt help and no restote point before SP3!!

Would you believe it, still connectivity issues?!!! Thru in a 3rd NIC and away we go!

Now our domain is also a WAN, and 1 of the other IT managers has sp3 on his LAN sweet as, so cant be a DHCP server issue, they are on same network and have the same settings thereabouts, so......what is SP3 doing to my hardware...LOL, as if software could do anything to the hardware, thats what i dont understand....

Anyway, your ideas would be appreciated, i have run out of them....

Oh, its a Asus A8N5X mobo with x2 939 cpu.....

nofam
15-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Is this (http://www.ditii.com/2008/06/21/windows-xp-sp3-clients-fails-to-connect-network-under-some-dhcp-settings/) any help Sol?

wainuitech
15-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Don't know if this is the same issue, but I have had around 45% of PC's that have connection issues, limited or No connectivity after installing SP3 - all connections worked fine Pryor to the update.

I run Dia -A - Fix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml) through - reboot and each and every time its fixed it.

CYaBro
15-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey Sol I had the very same problem with two machines that had exactly the same hardware. (mobo, cpu, ram etc all the same)
The only difference was one had XP Home and the other had Pro.
The one with XP home had the same problems as you.
Network access was soooo slow and doing a ping would result in some lost packets.
Putting a seperate PCI network card in the machine would fix it with SP3 but I didn't want to do that.
In the end I left SP3 off it as I could not find a fix.

I tried wainuitech's fix as well but it made no difference.

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Is version 0902 of the BIOS on this system??

Because according to the ASUS site

1- Fixed RIS failed with NV onboard LAN due to IRQ conflict. (could this be your prob)?

2- Fixed system hangs on POST while installing some PCI-E x16 VGA cards.

3- Update AWDFLASH to V1.17

SolMiester
15-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Is this (http://www.ditii.com/2008/06/21/windows-xp-sp3-clients-fails-to-connect-network-under-some-dhcp-settings/) any help Sol?

Yeah ta nofam, I found that however, we dont have that option enabled....i did turn it on, though left the value default. No change...

SolMiester
15-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Is version 0902 of the BIOS on this system??

Because according to the ASUS site

1- Fixed RIS failed with NV onboard LAN due to IRQ conflict. (could this be your prob)?

2- Fixed system hangs on POST while installing some PCI-E x16 VGA cards.

3- Update AWDFLASH to V1.17

Hi Speedy, dont think its a BIOS issue has the PC ran fine under SP2, i am starting to think its to do with the IP stack?...

SolMiester
15-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey Sol I had the very same problem with two machines that had exactly the same hardware. (mobo, cpu, ram etc all the same)
The only difference was one had XP Home and the other had Pro.
The one with XP home had the same problems as you.
Network access was soooo slow and doing a ping would result in some lost packets.
Putting a seperate PCI network card in the machine would fix it with SP3 but I didn't want to do that.
In the end I left SP3 off it as I could not find a fix.

I tried wainuitech's fix as well but it made no difference.

Did you get sp3 running on the pc with the new NIC

Did the same NIC run okay after a rebuild?

SolMiester
15-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Thing is, i couldnt leave the pc build as is, i could of imaged it i suppose on hindsight (bugger...again), anyway, wiped it for the rebuild...thats why i couldnt understand the nic still not working correctly.....i havent got the sp3 build anymore, so i guess i wont know........

I may have to image to the other drive and try sp3 again....hehe...

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Whats the videocard in this system?? Is it a Nvidia card?

By the looks of it XP SP3 and the 175.16 version of the Nvidia drivers, dont play nice together, and RD fails

CYaBro
15-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Did you get sp3 running on the pc with the new NIC

Did the same NIC run okay after a rebuild?

Yes PC ran fine with the PCI NIC with SP3.

Yes

SolMiester
16-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Thats the funny bit here, even after a new install, the NIC's get addresses, however still lose packets and are unuseable!! Cant work that bit out, unless the NIC MAC is like registered already with the server and it is continuing as before...?

wainuitech
16-09-2008, 03:29 PM
This may be completely different and NOT the problem but I was reading the latest Aust PC authority - Copied the article, look on the right last few paragraphs / third coloum - from New features can be counted (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/image01221533890.jpg) --NOTE: click the picture once it loads to make it bigger and readable.

SolMiester
16-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Wtech, I was thinking it maybe NAP, however, we have no 2008 servers on our network.....so can we disable NAP features on SP3?......I still dont understand how a prefectly good NIC wont work even after a complete system rebuild......Its like the domain has flgged the MAC of the NIC!

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Disable its service?? Network Access Protection Agent

SolMiester
16-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Speedy, this is frustrating, so once the PC is rebuilt, I will image @ SP2, remove the new NIC and SP3 again and look for NAP service, though I cant remember seeing it last time....god, if only is were that easy......however that doesnt explain why the NIC's 2 of them are now useless...!