PDA

View Full Version : OC e8400

calebcc
01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
hi there, i was just wondering what is a safe overclock speed for this pc (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=5518) i know its already overclocked but i just want to know what is a nice speed that wont shorten its life but is faster than it already is?

Thanks

pctek
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Its whatever you can get and remain stable.

calebcc
02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
what do you mean?

i dont want to shorten the life of the CPU btw

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Well dont overclock it then

SolMiester
03-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Water-cooled!!!....that should go over 4Ghz without a sweat!, many reach 3.8Ghz on air....

pctek
03-09-2008, 10:54 AM
what do you mean?

It means when you overclock you do it in small stages and test how the PC runs at each point, any glitches, crashing or unstability then you went too far.

calebcc
14-09-2008, 06:05 PM
this is my pc here (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=5518)

i want to overclock it. i am new to overcloaking and just want soem recommendations of what settings i should use and what cpu temp should i watch out for.

thanks.

gary67
14-09-2008, 06:08 PM
I think it would be better to try the overclockers forum they will be able to give much better advice

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2008, 06:09 PM
You've already asked the same question here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=93030)

qazwsxokmijn
14-09-2008, 07:07 PM
It's already overclocked for you. If you don't know how to overclock safely, then don't do it at all. Though overclocking a CPU these days is rather safe (provided you don't tempt fate or be stupidly reckless), you'll panic and have that sinking feeling when your computer turns off and won't turn back on. Especially if you don't know how to fix it.

All I can say is do it in 10MHz increments max all the while watching by how much it overclocks the RAM as well and DO NOT TOUCH THE VOLTAGE SETTINGS AT ALL.

Thebananamonkey
15-09-2008, 09:32 AM
And remember that any overclocking at all shortens the life of the CPU.

It probably doesn't matter though, as the CPUs actual life is usually far far far longer than you'd actually want to keep it for. So shortening it won't impact you too much.

It's not the clocks that shorten it though, it's the temps. Just keep it cool and you'll do fine.

SolMiester
15-09-2008, 09:42 AM
And remember that any overclocking at all shortens the life of the CPU.

It probably doesn't matter though, as the CPUs actual life is usually far far far longer than you'd actually want to keep it for. So shortening it won't impact you too much.

It's not the clocks that shorten it though, it's the temps. Just keep it cool and you'll do fine.

Well, not sure on that statement....When you think about it, every Wolfdale CPU is the same as any other Wolfdale, they dont make different ones for different speeds. They are binned at different speeds according to VID settings.

High voltage and extreme temperatures shoften the life of cpu's, but not overclocking as such. Not all overclocking requires huge voltage or rans the cpu at high temps.

Looking at the PC the poster has bought and @ 3.2Ghz, one wonders why they bothered to water cool the cpu. I have a Kentfield running at those speeds on air...!

Thebananamonkey
15-09-2008, 10:02 AM
What I mean is, a stock 2.4Ghz wolfdale might last 30years before fizzling.

A 2.8 might last 15 years

3.0, 5 Years

Ad nauseum.

Not that it matters, as you probably won't use your CPU that long anyway.

I didn't say aftermarketing OC, I said ANY OC will shorten the life of a chip. Even factory OC.

This is a little bit academic though. In real life it doesn't matter. Keep the chip cool and it will usually last long enough for you to get sick of it.

Thebananamonkey
15-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Actually, you're kind of right.

Only because at stock, most chips run far too much voltage though. I got about .4Ghz out of my Q6600 before I had to touch voltage settings. Which makes you wonder why they do it. They run hotter, and die quicker. Very marginally more stable?