PDA

View Full Version : Connecting linksys wrt54gs to netgear dg834

zac2613
13-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi All
Can someone explain how to connect a linksys wrt54gs ver6 wireless router to a netgear dg 834g router properly.

The netgear is the master router and has 2 hardwired computers connected.
the networks been working no probs but the wireless side was not good enough for my needs so i purchased the wrt54gs to get the extra Tx Power.

When i patch the linksys to the negear(Linksys Radio On/Netgear Radio Off), the hardwired & wireless computers connect to the internet no probs but trying to connect to my static ip address from outside the network won't work and i need this desperate as one of the computers is the camera system for my premises and can't be monitored from my location.

This is what i done i left the netgear cables as thy were, "working ok"
disconnected the net cable from 1 pc and connected the linksys to that computer typed in 192.168.1.1 get into menu and change ip address to 192.168.0.100 and save, disable dchp and save, setup my wireless details & save, come out of menu and turn off linksys router and disconnect cable from computer, reconnect the the net cable i disconnected earlier, turn on linksys router and wait for the unit to settle then connect it to the netgear routers port 4.???all working but can't access the network from the outside world.

By the way the reason i set the ip as 192.168.0.100 is the netgear router is 192.168.0.1 comp No1 is 192.168.0.2 & comp No2 is 192.168.0.3
can someone lead me in the right direction to solve this prob.

Thanks in advance
zac2613

Greven
13-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Plug the WAN port on your linksys router into a LAN port on the netgear, then plug all your computers into the linksys router.

The linksys will have 2 IP addresses - Internal & External (or LAN & WAN) - You need to set a static IP address for the WAN port that is in the same range as the linksys & make the internal (LAN) IP address part of a different range. eg. 192.168.100.1

Once you have that set up, set up DMZ on the netgear router to forward everything to the linksys router & set up any port forwarding you need to from the linksys router to your computers.

Don't forget to remove any port forwarding rules on the Netgear router - DMZ doesn't forward ports the are already being forwarded to somewhere else.

If you don't want to mess around with changing your computer IP addresses, you can set the netgear router to 192.168.100.1 & your linksys to the old IP address of the netgear router.

zac2613
13-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply Greven

I don't want to mess around with changing the computer IP addresses as thy have been set static ip 192.168.02 for the cams and 192.168.0 4 for another purpose.

So is this what i do, reset linksys router and start again

Open menu on netgear and change its value from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1 and save.

Make note of forwarded ports and delete them and save settings.

Open menu on linksys and set its ip as 192.168.0.1 that used to be the netgears address and save, goto port forward and enter the port No's that were in the netgear router Eg. cams port 4550 to ip 192.168.0.2 and so on as it was in the netgear router and save.

I'm a little stuck, do i still need to enter the lan & wan,do i still do some of the things ive done previously.

Could you fill or delete from my post to make the complete picture, so i can print a copy and work from that.

Thanks again

zac2613

Greven
14-09-2008, 12:10 AM
just a quick reply while I'm waiting on the jug to boil - looks like you need to set the WAN address of the linksys router & set up DMZ on the netgear. If you upload screenshots of the config pages for both routers to imagef1, I'll check it out tomorrow.

zac2613
15-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Hi Greven

Sorry about delay in getting back to you, been on call.

Having looked at your post again, I'm going to try your first option tomorrow
now i know what a Wan is, thought it was to do with wireless DON'T LAUGH I'm an Alarm Engineer not a network consultant LoL, and in all probability the port forwarding's got something to do with it, as you state you can't forward the same ports to two different devices.

Thanks for your prompt advice Greven Top Man , will try tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

zac2613

Ps. "Ill be back"

zac2613
16-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Hello Greven and All

I successfully got all the network working as normal, but now i can't get the wireless to work at all, the wireless notebook can see the Ap at a good 87%, but when i try to connect, it comes up connected, then straight away little or no connectivity.

I disabled the security features and left the network open but still the same.

Any ideas

zac2613

zac2613
17-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi All

Job done turned DHCP back on.
Having roamed the Internet sites for answers to my problem, a plethora of posts tell you the first thing to do is turn off DHCP, anyways all working now, and it didn't take me long to backup the settings "let me tell you"

Thanks Greven

zac2613