PDA

View Full Version : Hewlett Packard LP2475w Monitor, anyone got one?

robbyp
13-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Anyone got one of these http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=368775

I have heard that it uses an IPS panel, which produces really good colours, and doesn't have the problems the dell top of the line 24 inch monitor has. Would be interested to know if anyone has one, or plans to get one?

utopian201
13-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I've ordered one, should get here on Monday :)
Yes, I was originally going to get a Dell 2408wfp, but if you've been following its progress, you'll be aware of its saga of problems. If you're lucky and get an issue free one, then it is one of the best 24" available.

The HP one is only slightly more expensive, but has a better screen and no issues. I'll let you know how it goes.

robbyp
13-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I've ordered one, should get here on Monday :)
Yes, I was originally going to get a Dell 2408wfp, but if you've been following its progress, you'll be aware of its saga of problems. If you're lucky and get an issue free one, then it is one of the best 24" available.

The HP one is only slightly more expensive, but has a better screen and no issues. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your reply, I might order one this week too, as there probaly isn't a better screen around. It certainly it looks the be the one to get, and HP is a good brand name(at least better the Dell). Where are you getting yours from as they only just look like they have come in? I wasn't aware of the major problems with the Dell 2408wfp, although I had heard of some issues, but I am glad I didn't get one now.

utopian201
14-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I dont actually care at all for the HP brand name (nor Dell for that matter). The HP panel is an LG.Philips H-IPS panel. The one in the Dell is a Samsung S-PVA screen.

-It is as cheap as $988 according to pricespy (the Dell as of the change of specials is now $999 + flash drive + all in one printer)
-The stand has identical functionality as Dell; Tilt, rotate, pivot
-similar inputs to the dell; Dell has VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI, display port, 4 port USB hub, stereo audio out (from HDMI input) and memory card reader
-HP has 2x DVI (no VGA, but I think it includes a DVI-VGA cable), HDMI, display port, 6 port USB hub, 5.1 SPDIF audio out (from hdmi), no memory card-reader
-It has lower input lag (around 30ms).
-The main advantage over the dell, and in my opinion, worth the small price premium, is that this screen is an H-IPS screen.

If anything, the Dell is a 'better' brand, since they have cheap warranties (~$54 to extend the standard 3 year warranty to 5 years, compared to over $250 where I am buying it from) and an advanced exchange program where any exchanges are done at their cost, and you only send your screen back when the replacement comes. That way you aren't stuck with no screen :)

I'm getting mine from the laptop company in Christchurch. It is only slightly more expensive down here, but if there are any problems, I wont have to worry about shipping it back up etc.

robbyp
14-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I dont actually care at all for the HP brand name (nor Dell for that matter). The HP panel is an LG.Philips H-IPS panel. The one in the Dell is a Samsung S-PVA screen.

-It is as cheap as $988 according to pricespy (the Dell as of the change of specials is now $999 + flash drive + all in one printer)
-The stand has identical functionality as Dell; Tilt, rotate, pivot
-similar inputs to the dell; Dell has VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI, display port, 4 port USB hub, stereo audio out (from HDMI input) and memory card reader
-HP has 2x DVI (no VGA, but I think it includes a DVI-VGA cable), HDMI, display port, 6 port USB hub, 5.1 SPDIF audio out (from hdmi), no memory card-reader
-It has lower input lag (around 30ms).
-The main advantage over the dell, and in my opinion, worth the small price premium, is that this screen is an H-IPS screen.

If anything, the Dell is a 'better' brand, since they have cheap warranties (~$54 to extend the standard 3 year warranty to 5 years, compared to over $250 where I am buying it from) and an advanced exchange program where any exchanges are done at their cost, and you only send your screen back when the replacement comes. That way you aren't stuck with no screen :)

I'm getting mine from the laptop company in Christchurch. It is only slightly more expensive down here, but if there are any problems, I wont have to worry about shipping it back up etc.

Cheers for that info, IPS is definately a big selling point for me. Personally I have never had a problem with HP, and have HP printers and scanner and they have always been good, and I knwo they have good local support. I don't think think I will go for an extended warrenty, because 3 years is good enough for me, and it is most likely to fail I think within those 3 years. In 3 years time there will also probably be far better monitors around to upgrade to, I will probably go with ascent, as they have looked after me in the past, and are a local company for me.

utopian201
15-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Mine arrived today, and whoah, it is massive! The stand is larger than what most images seemed to show.
Here are some pics:
Viewing angle from left (http://img185.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70579_IMG_0735_122_52lo.jpg)
Viewing angle from above (http://img124.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70587_IMG_0736_122_955lo.jpg)
Viewing angle from right (http://img102.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=71509_IMG_07371_122_225lo.jpg)
Viewing angle from below (http://img37.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70600_IMG_0742_122_659lo.jpg)
My setup (http://img177.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70605_IMG_0744_122_172lo.jpg)

I've measured input lag to be around 26ms, so its not too bad. I 'feel' like I notice it, but perhaps only because I know it is there. The colours are a bit saturated, but I'll get used to them. I haven't got around to loading a colour profile yet.

BECAUSE I CAN :D (http://img183.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70297_IMG_07911_122_34lo.jpg)

robbyp
16-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Mine arrived today, and whoah, it is massive! The stand is larger than what most images seemed to show.
Here are some pics:
Viewing angle from left (http://img185.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70579_IMG_0735_122_52lo.jpg)
Viewing angle from above (http://img124.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70587_IMG_0736_122_955lo.jpg)
Viewing angle from right (http://img102.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=71509_IMG_07371_122_225lo.jpg)
Viewing angle from below (http://img37.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70600_IMG_0742_122_659lo.jpg)
My setup (http://img177.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70605_IMG_0744_122_172lo.jpg)

I've measured input lag to be around 26ms, so its not too bad. I 'feel' like I notice it, but perhaps only because I know it is there. The colours are a bit saturated, but I'll get used to them. I haven't got around to loading a colour profile yet.

BECAUSE I CAN :D (http://img183.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70297_IMG_07911_122_34lo.jpg)

Looks very nice. Hope you didn't get any dead pixels. I have read that you have to fiddle with the settings to get the colours right, but once you have it should produce really good colour accuracy.

utopian201
17-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Haven't checked for dead pixels or panel uniformity yet. Image quality is awesome, it even beats my CRT for black levels and contrast (although my CRT is over 6 years old so the tube will have faded a bit but still...).

At the moment, the colours are a bit over saturated (the red banner at the top of this page looks almost a reddish pink), so I'll have to try some ICC profiles.

beeswax34
17-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Damn, I have got to get me one of those :D

robbyp
27-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Damn, I have got to get me one of those :D

Just got mine, and noticed straight away that it has got quite a few dead pixels on it, which isn't good. None of my other LCD screens have dead pixels.

I am also having real trouble getting the colours calibrated. They are way too saturated, and I can't reduce the saturation much via any of the HP software tools or via the monitors control panel. The Saturation in the control panel is also greyed out . I have spent a good couple of hours trying to calibrate it. I thought you should be able to adjust the colour saturation from saturated colour to black and white, which I can do on my other LCDs.

wainuitech
27-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Just got mine, and noticed straight away that it has got quite a few dead pixels on it, which isn't good. None of my other LCD screens have dead pixels.

I am also having real trouble getting the colours calibrated. They are way too saturated, and I can't reduce the saturation much via any of the HP software tools or via the monitors control panel. The Saturation in the control panel is also greyed out . I have spent a good couple of hours trying to calibrate it. I thought you should be able to adjust the colour saturation from saturated colour to black and white, which I can do on my other LCDs.

SEND IT BACK - its faulty - any LCD that has obvious dead pixels and colour troubles as you describe from new is only going to cause more trouble and frustration than its worth.

utopian201
28-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Sorry to hear about your dead pixels. HP's pixel policy does not allow any full black or white pixel defects.
As for sub pixels:
Bright sub-pixel defects: 3 maximum
Dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum
Total combined bright and dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum

As for your colours, just be aware that this screen is a wide gamut screen. Most screens are typically display the standard sRGB colour space (which is 72% of the NTSC colour space). Most high end screens are wide gamut; this HP for instance can display 92% of the NTSC colour space, the Dell 2408wfp displays 110% of the ntsc colour space, that is, it can display more colours than those defined in the NTSC colour space. Unfortunately the sRGB mode of the screen doesn't appear to do anything other than make the image darker.

While you can made adjustments using the OSD, for the most accurate colours, unfortunately, you'll need a hardware calibrator. Further, you'll only get accurate colours in colour managed/colour aware applications, for example photoshop and Firefox 3. I'm not sure about Vista as an operating system, I dont use it. Normal applications assume the screen is an sRGB screen unless they are colour aware.

It is a case of the software catching up to the capabilities of the hardware.

For your reference, I'm using:
Brightness 17
Contrast 65
RGB 251 / 235 / 242

I haven't had time to play with colour profiles yet. But there's no other IPS screen in NZ at this size at this price.

robbyp
29-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for that info. I am waiting for the retailer to get back to me regarding returning it. The only info I found about their pxiel policy was in the PDF on the CD, which didn't mention numbers and was quite vague about what their policy actually is. I've got another 18inch LCD here which is nearly 5 years old, and doesn't have any dead pixels/subpixels, so unless they are cost cutting in their production, defects shouldn't be occuring these days, especially not on monitor that is over a grand in price. On the online retailers website they do list the pixel policy, which for this one it stated 'zero bright pixels'. With some other other brands of monitor, it says 'May contain some pixel defects', so made sure that I got one that didn't say that.

I will give your settings a go, as your brightness and contrast is a lot lower than I have got it. It is more the saturation of of colours that is the problem. There is an option for changing the saturation in the monitors menu, however it is greyed out, so I assume it doesn't apply for a DVI connection.

I may look at the Dell, which uses a VA screen, and I have heard that revision A01 is the one to get. They do also have a 'Premium Panel Policy' which I expect would fully cover againest any pixel defects.

Cheers

robbyp
29-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your dead pixels. HP's pixel policy does not allow any full black or white pixel defects.
As for sub pixels:
Bright sub-pixel defects: 3 maximum
Dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum
Total combined bright and dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum

As for your colours, just be aware that this screen is a wide gamut screen. Most screens are typically display the standard sRGB colour space (which is 72% of the NTSC colour space). Most high end screens are wide gamut; this HP for instance can display 92% of the NTSC colour space, the Dell 2408wfp displays 110% of the ntsc colour space, that is, it can display more colours than those defined in the NTSC colour space. Unfortunately the sRGB mode of the screen doesn't appear to do anything other than make the image darker.

While you can made adjustments using the OSD, for the most accurate colours, unfortunately, you'll need a hardware calibrator. Further, you'll only get accurate colours in colour managed/colour aware applications, for example photoshop and Firefox 3. I'm not sure about Vista as an operating system, I dont use it. Normal applications assume the screen is an sRGB screen unless they are colour aware.

It is a case of the software catching up to the capabilities of the hardware.

For your reference, I'm using:
Brightness 17
Contrast 65
RGB 251 / 235 / 242

I haven't had time to play with colour profiles yet. But there's no other IPS screen in NZ at this size at this price.

Tried those settings and the colours are a LOT better. The colours are still quite saturated, especially the green even though it is set lower than the rest. I previously had the brightness and contrast a lot higher and was using the 6500k setting. If it didn't have the dead pixels I would probably keep it.

utopian201
30-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I may look at the Dell, which uses a VA screen, and I have heard that revision A01 is the one to get. They do also have a 'Premium Panel Policy' which I expect would fully cover againest any pixel defects.

Cheers

So will you be returning the HP, or getting an exchange?

Just be aware that even recently, A00 revisions are still being shipped in NZ. While Dell has an advanced exchange policy second to none, it is still a hassle to get something with the semi-expectation it will be exchanged.

Also, the Dell has panel uniformity issues (typically a pink tinge over the screen, sometimes the left is brighter than the right side). As it is VA, the horizontal viewing angles will be narrower than the HP. Input lag is about 45ms, so about 50% more than the HP.

Having said that, this week it is $800, typically the cheapest Dell's 24" ultrasharps ever get. For the price, you aren't going to get a better panel than the dell at that size. (Likewise, you aren't going to get a better panel than the HP at 24" for under ~$983 depending where you got it from).

If you're lucky enough to get an issue free Dell, you'll be happy with that one too :)

wainuitech
30-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Personally I like the viewsonic Policy - according from my vendors any bright/faulty pixels within 3 years - its replaced.

And to back up their claim, a LCD I supplied to a customer developed a bright pixel about 40 mm from the left hand side of the screens edge just after 2 years - contacted the supplier- replacement LCD turned up the following day - cant complain about that.:thumbs:

robbyp
30-09-2008, 10:42 PM
So will you be returning the HP, or getting an exchange?

Just be aware that even recently, A00 revisions are still being shipped in NZ. While Dell has an advanced exchange policy second to none, it is still a hassle to get something with the semi-expectation it will be exchanged.

Also, the Dell has panel uniformity issues (typically a pink tinge over the screen, sometimes the left is brighter than the right side). As it is VA, the horizontal viewing angles will be narrower than the HP. Input lag is about 45ms, so about 50% more than the HP.

Having said that, this week it is $800, typically the cheapest Dell's 24" ultrasharps ever get. For the price, you aren't going to get a better panel than the dell at that size. (Likewise, you aren't going to get a better panel than the HP at 24" for under ~$983 depending where you got it from).

If you're lucky enough to get an issue free Dell, you'll be happy with that one too :)

I am returning it for a refund, as when I filled in the return form I was so frustrated with it. I am still waiting for them to send me the RMA information to return it. I have however now got a lot more used to it with those settings you gave me :), and if it didn't have those dead pixels I would keep it. But then I would have to contact HP to sort it out, and their pixel policy warrenty in the manual is so vague that they may consider the dead pixels normal, so I would rather go through the retailer. I paid nearly $1100 for it as I went with a good computer retailer that I use a lot, so I don't expect any issues with returning it.

Thanks for those tips regarding dell. I will make sure that I make it conditional that they sell me the newer A01 model without any dead pixels/sub pixels. Viewing angles don't really matter, and I am not using it for gaming so response times don't really matter either. I don't think view sonic are an option as they don't seem to have a comparable monitor with the same features as the dell and hp ones.

utopian201
01-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Here is HP's pixel policy:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=c00288895&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The only comparable Viewsonic to the Dell is the VX2435WM, but I don't think it is available in NZ.

For the input lag, its not the same as response time; poor response time manifests itself as ghosting on the screen. Input lag manifests itself through a feeling of moving the mouse and having the mouse pointer reflect that movement momentarily after you have moved the mouse. Its a bit hard to explain, but I'd recommend searching other forums to see what they have to say about the 2408wfp, just so you know what you're getting yourself into :)