PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting an XP machine

PaulBNZ
11-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi,
I'm attempting to clean out the cobwebs on my parents desktop by reformatting it or reinstalling XP Home cleanly. It is an HP desktop, about 7 years old, and currently running XP Home SP2. We never got Windows installation disks with it so I've created a streamlined SP3 Windows XP bootable DVD using the i386 folder on the machine and a tutorial I found on the web.

I gave this disk to a mate to check if it works and he had no problems booting from it on his laptop, and getting up to the point at which he could install XP if he wanted to. On my parents desktop however, I can't seem to get it to boot off the DVD I made. The first screen that appears on start up shows the initialising of the BIOS and says at the bottom words to the effect of press F1 to enter Setup. I did this, set the CD-ROM drive over the hard drive on the boot-up priority list but nothing happens; the machine just starts up as normal, even after restarting it.

Note, this PC hasn't had the O/S removed or reformatted as of yet. I just wanted to check that the disk worked on the machine.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

Cheers,
Paul

Speedy Gonzales
11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Has the HP got a DVD-ROM in it?? If not, (if its only a CD), then the cd wont read it.

You need a DVD-rom or DVD burner to boot from DVD

Or if there is a DVD-ROM in it, did you press a key, when it says to press a key (once you boot from the DVD)??

PaulBNZ
11-09-2008, 05:54 PM
HP desktop has a DVD-drive in it. In fact, I made the disk on this machine. I didn't see anything about pressing a key after booting from the DVD, I don't think I even made it that far.

Speedy Gonzales
11-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Its comes up pretty fast (it says to press a key), 2-3 secs after you reboot.

When you boot from the cd / dvd

Has this system got a restore partition on it?? If it does, you maybe able to create a restore cd / dvd.

With the ISO's on the other partition

wainuitech
11-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Generally you cant install fresh from the i386 folder - but you can do a repair install.

The reason your mates one worked is prob because the Original OS is up and running.

Reboot the PC in Safe Mode with command Prompt ,You should then have something like C: documents and settings\your name\

Type in CD C:\I386 <Enter>

OR point towards the CD that has the i386

Type in winnt32.exe <Enter>

Agree to anything, this should then reinstall windows as doing a repair install.

PaulBNZ
11-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Would doing this repair install give me a clean version of Windows ready to go? Does it perform the same function as a reformat etc?

PaulBNZ
11-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Its comes up pretty fast (it says to press a key), 2-3 secs after you reboot.

When you boot from the cd / dvd

Has this system got a restore partition on it?? If it does, you maybe able to create a restore cd / dvd.

With the ISO's on the other partition
I tried rebooting again but couldn't see anything like what you described.

Yep, it has a HP restore partition on it. How would one go about making a restore disk from that?

cheers

wainuitech
11-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Running from the i386 folder usually only does a repair reinstall of XP, leaving all data/programs.

If its got a working recovery partition, on start up keep tapping the F10 key, thats the standard key for HP/Compaq to activate the recovery.

One trick for young players - sometimes you need to press the F Lock Key to activate the F keys on start up - the F Lock is usually above the Numeric keypad on the right.

If the F keys dont work, when you hit the power button, quickly hit F Lock, normally a light comes on indicating its active, then quickly tap F10.

That all happens in a matter of 2-5 seconds, you should then see the recovery partition starting to load, you then have the option to format/reinstall windows or repair - select the format/ reinstall - you will generally get asked 2-3 time s ARE YOU SURE - as it will wipe everything.

R.M.
11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Wainui - I haven't really been paying attention the last couple of days, but I do like your new avatar. :)

wainuitech
11-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Wainui - I haven't really been paying attention the last couple of days, but I do like your new avatar. :):lol: Cheers, The Mrs sent me one of those emails that has a song embedded - the Pic was in the mail and its how I feel sometimes are a days work - we all know how PC's can be a brain strain - the Mrs has slippers like thoses :eek:

BACK to this thread - PaulBNZ - if you cant get the OS to load from the recovery - you can always use another XP CD, even yours and format/install from fresh using the product key thats meant to be attached to the PC Someplace on the Compaq/HP (NOT your own product key)

prefect
11-09-2008, 10:12 PM
BACK to this thread - PaulBNZ - if you cant get the OS to load from the recovery - you can always use another XP CD, even yours and format/install from fresh using the product key thats meant to be attached to the PC Someplace on the Compaq/HP (NOT your own product key)[/QUOTE]

Does it have to be XP Home or could you use a XP proffesional cd?

wainuitech
11-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Has to be the same version - Eg: If the product key on the PC to be formatted is XP home then the CD must be XP home.

XP Pro and XP home CD's / Product keys are not swappable.

On the odd occasion a product key will not work with another XP CD, but mostly it does.

Does the Recovery partition not work ?

PaulBNZ
12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Cheers guys. I reformatted the user partition of my parents PC last night, uninstalled all the hp rubbish that comes with it and cleaned it out in general. It appears to be running much better now.

On a side note, my parents have a no name brand web camera that they got off Trademe last year. It's used for Skype and came with a driver disc which has now disappeared. I'm trying to find a simple driver/program for it as XP doesn't seem to be able to find anything helpful. Any ideas of one to look for on the web?

Cheers
Paul

wainuitech
12-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Does the web cam have any numbers, names, letters of any sort ?

Failing that if it came in a box - also Look on the card/packaging or cam, see if you can find the FCC ID number, then load This page (http://www.driverzone.com/fcc_id_search.htm) and enter the number - it may give you some clue as to the drivers.

OR failing that when the cam plugs into the PC does it ask for drivers or does it install OK, if it asks for drivers sometimes telling it to search the internet does come up with a driver that works, but generally you need the correct driver for the chipset. Its a long shot - but if nothing above is of any help are you able to get a picture of the Cam - someone may recognize it.