PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Xtra Moving To ADSL2 - Modem/Router Problems

Winston001
09-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Anyone come across this? It might be old news but is certainly new to me.

Invercargill is being switched to ADSL2 which is great but......D-Link DSL-500 and DSL-504 routers won't connect to it. I happen to personally know this having spent several hours since Sunday trying to get another persons internet to work.

The DSL-504 worked in my house but not theirs only a few blocks away. With some IT help I eventually learned the router can't work - and my area is next. Xtra have said nothing about this and after three long and tedious calls to Help, its obvious the Xtra people don't know about it either.

So - do we all shrug and buy new routers or tell Telecom to supply replacement ones?

Safari
09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
D-Link know about it and so do Telecom

From http://www.dlink.co.nz/tech/
You need to select DSL 500 and then Trouble shooting to get the following and information on a fix.

If you are experiencing intermittent disconnections on your existing or new ADSL link (ADSL Link LED is going off then on again, then off and so on), it is very likely that your local DSLAM has been upgraded or new DSLAM is being installed. Please perform the following steps to accomodate this change (loading the latest firmware will also apply the below settings automatically):

kersonan
09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Anyone come across this? It might be old news but is certainly new to me.

Invercargill is being switched to ADSL2 which is great but......D-Link DSL-500 and DSL-504 routers won't connect to it. I happen to personally know this having spent several hours since Sunday trying to get another persons internet to work.

The DSL-504 worked in my house but not theirs only a few blocks away. With some IT help I eventually learned the router can't work - and my area is next. Xtra have said nothing about this and after three long and tedious calls to Help, its obvious the Xtra people don't know about it either.

So - do we all shrug and buy new routers or tell Telecom to supply replacement ones?

*edit already solved above*

What exactly do you mean by "I eventually learned the router can't work"? I'm curious

Winston001
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
What exactly do you mean by "I eventually learned the router can't work"? I'm curious

Thanks guys. Incidentally, how is the average person going to know about this, and update firmware when they cannot connect to the net?? :nerd: What's more I suspect this is beyond 95% of folk anyway.

Right: I have an email from the tech people we deal with saying the DSL-500 and 504 routers no longer see the net connection. They learned this when they suddenly had a flurry of calls from customers:

"We have about a dozen clients in the CBD, who are using those routers & they’ve had to get new ones, some spending several days working out the issue with the Xtra helpdesk before calling us to get it sorted. Telecom have told nobody (including their own staff it seems) about these upgrades, or that there may be minor outages, let alone that lines may get crossed, your broadband could be out for a week, or your router will need replacing."

A friend of mine had no net for his business for 3 days until eventually was told by a Telecom tech he needed a new router for $80. Same for a local accountant, just when they needed to do a heap of online GST and tax returns for the end of August.

If the D-Link upgrade works I'm grateful to you Safari but this is the first I've hear of it. I can tell you that after three long and frustrating phone calls over three days to Xtra technicians, none of them knew about this or suggested upgrading the firmware. Of course I couldn't connect anyway. :drool

PaulD
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
If the D-Link upgrade works I'm grateful to you Safari but this is the first I've hear of it. I can tell you that after three long and frustrating phone calls over three days to Xtra technicians, none of them knew about this or suggested upgrading the firmware. Of course I couldn't connect anyway. :drool

Several months ago I was contacted by Telecom and offered a new modem if I would commit to staying on a Telecom plan for 24 months. Some parts of Telecom must know that some D-Link that they've supplied aren't great on ADSL2 even if some don't know their rrrs from their elbow (they can't be technicians as techs know everything :) ).

If you don't plan changing provider try ringing them and see if there's any new modems left.

wainuitech
10-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Had this problem with a customer who had the ADSL upgraded about a month ago - we rang Telecom, and they said it was their fault the ADSL had stopped because the router he had, a D-Link DSL 500 was to old to run on the new system - since it was their upgrades that caused the problem Telecom sent out a new router free of charge - installed it, problem solved.

pctek
10-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Telecom have told nobody (including their own staff it seems) about these upgrades,

Actually it was in the Southland Times. On the front page. Ages ago.

And people in general have known about ADSL2+ upgrades for some time now. Every town with more than 500 households will get upgraded. Gore is not scheduled for ages though.

Thats why people have been selling off their old DLinks on Trademe for ages now.

There are lots of ADSL2+ ones for sale there too, so its not a major expense.

heni72847
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
slightly OT but still on the topic of ADSL2

I have an adsl router from dse (XH1169), and I guess luckily it doesn't die on me after network gets upgraded to adsl2.
Something on my mind for a while is that I know I'm far away from the exchange, getting line attenuation of 49.8 dB, but if I do get a new adsl2 router would that improve anything?

PaulD
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I have an adsl router from dse (XH1169), and I guess luckily it doesn't die on me after network gets upgraded to adsl2.
Something on my mind for a while is that I know I'm far away from the exchange, getting line attenuation of 49.8 dB, but if I do get a new adsl2 router would that improve anything?

Where are you? You could be already on ADSL2 or you could be about to be cabinetised in which case the "exchange" will move closer to you.

heni72847
10-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I looked up the proposed cabin location for my area already and it won't be put in place for a while, so have to wait...

But my main question is: rather than using an old dse router, will getting an adsl2 router help improve my speed under my current situation?

ManUFan
10-09-2008, 01:18 PM
OK

So I read in the paper that Greymouth is going to be upgraded to ADSL2.
How will this affect my DSL302G???

Any ideas? :)

pctek
10-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Greymouth is going to be upgraded to ADSL2.

It means before they do, you'll need to get an ADSL2+ capable modem too.

rumpty
10-09-2008, 03:14 PM
OK

So I read in the paper that Greymouth is going to be upgraded to ADSL2.

Any ideas? :)

My exchange is on ADSL2+ now, and with the latest firmware, my D-Link 504T Gen1 modem/router stats show that it is in the ADSL2+ modulation mode, and is working, obviously.

I suggest you try the latest NZ firmware, if you haven't already.

Winston001
12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Update - tried to upgrade the firmware but no dice. Every time I tried to run the software it told me a library was missing. Downloaded 3 times, unzipped, can't go any further.

Connected directly to DSL 504, got page up, logged in, but thats it. Tried linking to the .exe file but no good. It isn't a Gen II.

Telecom didn't supply this router so I'm inclined to give up and get a new one.

gary67
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Just checked my Vodafone DSL 504T and it's already ADSL+2 compliant great can't wait till the end of the month when we supposedly get it