PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it clean ...

minster
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I browse the threads on this forum often and find it fantastic how so many of the members here with more experience in the workings of computers give freely of their time to help those of us that run into difficulties.
Can I say "Thank you" to all that do this as I'm sure many many others would join me in this.

Most of the threads/Questions here involve fairly complex issues (Trojans, Virus's Malfunctions and advice on repairing/building PCs etc.

What about the most basic issue of the lot ... and probably the one that if not done on a regular basis could actually be the cause of many of the above more serious issues.

Keeping your computer clean!

Is there a list of what should be done and how often so that newcomers can do it themselves?
Things like cleaning out the cache or emptying the temps folder might be simple for most but I'm sure there are many that would appreciate a list of good housecleaning tips with instructions on how to do them.

Is anyone prepared to share some of these basic tips?

Thank you again:)

bevy121
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
That is a question easily answered, CCleaner (in my sig)

This tool does all you suggest and more with the click of a button... and is very safe to use.

You'll find it recommended highly on many threads throughout PF1

wratterus
08-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I second that, do remember though, that CCleaner isn't an anti malware tool.

It is an extremely good tool for a 'general clean up' on a PC though, and it has a registry cleaner that actually works well! :D

For anti malware...

NOD32 is probably the best anti virus software on the market today, if you can't pay for one, Avast is the better free one, although not a patch on NOD32.

A program called MalwareBytes is great for anti spyware, along with Spybot Search and Destroy. If you want to really feel secure, you can get Spyware Terminator and SUPERAntiSpyware aswell. I'm sure others will add to this list.

As for firewall, If you want to pay for software ESET Smart Security (NOD32 with a firewall and anti spam) is good, although the firewall isn't the most user friendly thing out there.

Comodo make a good free firewall.

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2008, 09:59 PM
This maybe a bit off-topic, but it'll also stop you from getting infected with something in the first place.

If you decide to download something (that youre not sure of, or what it does), do a search in Google FIRST

Programs like Antivirus 2008 Pro for example.

People may THINK this is an actual AV program. It IS NOT. Its fake.

And gives you false info. It'll tell you, that your system is full of viruses / trojans

When it isnt. And if you search in here, you'll see that a LOT of people have downloaded, installed it, and it screwed up their system.

Another thing to watch out for is attachments in email.

Main rule is: Whatever you do, if you dont know where the email is from / who its from, and it comes with an attachment, DON'T OPEN IT !

And also, if you use programs like P2P programs, youre bound to get hit with something sooner, or later.

If you download, and install the wrong thing. So, be careful WHAT you get.

gary67
09-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Also if you do download something before you open/install it give it a right click and scan it with your AV, oh and don't forget to occasionally open the case and clean all the dust off the fans carefully. I often get a good handful of dust out of CPU fans

nofam
09-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Download a tool called Autoruns (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) and take a look under the Logon tab; this is a list of every application loaded when you start your PC.

75% of the entries in there don't need to be, and greatly slow down the startup time of your PC. If you're not sure of what you can safely disable, just post on here and ask someone. CCleaner has a startup analysis tool too, but it's not as good IMHO.

:nerd:

the_bogan
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Just a big tip with ccleaner, don't use the unused file extensions option in the registry unless you know all your save game file types.... :(

heni72847
09-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I use ccleaner on my notebook since hdd space is precious. Nice and easy to clear out stuff that I don't need.

For random testing I do everything inside Vmware Server beta. Inside the virtual machine it's a perfect sandbox, and if a software looks genuine and I will actually continue to use it, then I install it onto my real system.
This prevents random unwanted things going into my actual system, and still allow me to try all sorts of random programs.

keeping my computer clean...um.. I vacuum the outside of the case where a fan draws air in, because dust get trapped there.. yea.. :D