PDA

View Full Version : New System Advice

maknz
08-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi,

I've recently decided that I want to goto a 2 x 22" LCD set up. My current computer doesn't have a graphics card (Geforce FX5200) that supports this. I thought about upgrading the graphics card and then buying 2 x 22"s. But while thinking about this, I came to the conclusion that I might as well get a whole new system and would probably get better value overall.

My current system is old:
AMD 2800 CPU
1GB ram
80 GB HD
Geforce fx5200 graphics
17" CRT

I'm thinking this system is getting pretty old and not really sure if it's worth upgrading it.

If I get a whole new computer, I'm not really too concerned about cutting-edge gaming performance, but wouldn't want it to out-date quickly.

SO I'm thinking of going with something like:
Some kind of Duo-core cpu - modern, powerful but midrange
3-4 GB ram
Graphics preferably 2 x DVI - doesn't need to be ultimate gaming quality, but I want to have 2 x mons with good, clear picture
250-500 GB HD (is 2 x 250 GB HDs a good option?)

This set up is going to be mostly for general internet use (vids, music, browsin etc) and for business use. I want the 2x mons for loading up multiple stock charts etc. I'm not a big gamer but I do play things like Civ4 on occasion, my current comp handles this so I don't think specwise it's much of an issue.

So I thought about upgrading my graphics card to a 2x DVI one but I have a feeling the mobo might be already too old for this option.

I guess I'm asking:
1. Would you try and just upgrade the current sys to take 2 x LCDs or go with a whole new setup?
2. Going with a new system, how do my (brief) specs match up with my requiresment?
3. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy all my gear for a non-techie type? (Not keen on assembling, fitting cards etc but also after a certain level of customization)

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers, mak

Tukapa
08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I guess I'm asking:
1. Would you try and just upgrade the current sys to take 2 x LCDs or go with a whole new setup?
2. Going with a new system, how do my (brief) specs match up with my requiresment?
3. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy all my gear for a non-techie type? (Not keen on assembling, fitting cards etc but also after a certain level of customization)

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers, mak

1. I certainly wouldn't try upgrading your current system - my prefernce in your situation (if you can afford to) would be to get a whole new system.

2. Your brief specs (wit the exception of the dual monitors) really look like an entry-mid level PC these days which would do most things people want of it.

3. I have bought numerous times from C1 ShoppingMall and QMB Computers where you can build your own PC part by part and they will throw it together for you. Others round here will advocate Ascent who are also very good, but I think the customisation of PC building has been knocked on the head by them lately.

PM me if you want any other advice.

Good luck!

Tukapa
08-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Just priced this for under $1500 on C1 ShoppingMall

Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU
Asus motherboard
4GB Ram (Kingston)
500GB Hard Drive (Seagate)
DVD Writer (Pioneer)
GeForce 8600GT 256MB with dual DVI
2 x 22" LCD monitors with DVI

Including system building and including freight to North Island

(Does not include OS, keyboard, mouse or speakers)

pctek
09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I want to goto a 2 x 22" LCD set up. My current graphics card (Geforce FX5200) doesn't that supports this.
If I get a whole new computer, I'm not really too concerned about cutting-edge gaming performance, but wouldn't want it to out-date quickly.

This set up is going to be mostly for general internet use (vids, music, browsin etc) and for business use.

So I thought about upgrading my graphics card to a 2x DVI one but I have a feeling the mobo might be already too old for this option.

For business use, just replace the graphics card.

maknz
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
For business use, just replace the graphics card.

I was told the motherboard, ECS KM400-M2, was probably too old to take a modern dual DVI card. Is this correct, or just a marketing/sale/upgrade fib?

Now I'm going to show how little I know about computers. Is multiple screens and large desktop areas a drain on RAM or only the vid card?

qazwsxokmijn
09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
As long as the AGP card has 2 DVI ports, than you should be able to use the 2 ports for two monitors.

maknz
10-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Hmm, now to sort out the internal conflict of choosing the sensible, prudent option of just upgrading the current computer or running with the impulsive, fun option of going to a whole new computer.

From what I can see it's:
~$1000 for two x 22" and a vid card upgrade
~$1800-2000 for a whole new comp with 2 x 22"

Decisions.