PDA

View Full Version : Alarming noise

aidanmaz
08-09-2008, 11:27 AM
i hav had my pc on for about.....20mns and walked out the room (as u do) i returned to an alarm sounding noise and the computer screen had gone black. Its an HP Compaq, and the RAM is fine, i checked it, what does this alarm mean?

linw
08-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I'd be looking at overheating/slow fan problem. Dust buildup?? Does it still start up OK from cold?

aidanmaz
08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
i did a whole bunch of tests on temperature and the cpu never seems to go above 45 degrees, (usually stays alot less) about 39 was the last check ten mins ago. I thought it was RAM not being seated properly, but then it wouldnt start would it? Its an older PC maybe its something to do with the fact ihave a 200Gb and 160Gb hard drives? some disk issue? i wouldnt have any idea, as i hav changed pretty much every part (ram, vid card, psu etc).... unless its that faulty NIC that doesnt show up in device manager anymore....

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Does it have intrusion detection?

Where you open the case and an alarm goes off?

If it does, disable it in the BIOS

I dont think the NIC will cause it whether its going or dead (only other reason the NIC may not appear in device manager, is its disabled in the BIOS)

aidanmaz
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
i think i found the issue.All the IDE and the wide scsi cables were ontop of the fan (not actually touching it but just above it, and there is an external fan which i assume blows cool air over the cpu, and the said cables were effectively smothering the cpu......would that be the issue, i cant see it as a hardware issue as it happens sparsely.....

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Move them then you'll find out

pctek
08-09-2008, 12:53 PM
It becomes a hardware issue when your motherboard starts screaming that the CPU is about to fry.

Tidy up your cables, nothing worse than a mess stuffing up airflow.