PDA

View Full Version : windows XP dilema

calebcc
04-09-2008, 08:47 PM
ok so i have my new pc and this is my first time using Crossfire.

i have the 2 cards installed and crossfire is enabled but i only have one screen cord.

like it doesnt have one cord from each card joining into the screen, it just has one cord from the top card going into my screen.

when i go into catalyst it has primary card and then the second one is called disabled adapter.

do i need that double plugf thingy to use crossfire?

what is the disabled card doing, even though it is enabled along with crossfire?

memphis
04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Check out http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=262

:)

calebcc
05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
ok i read that crossfire doesnt work on XP.

well i have XP pro with 2 identical cards in Crossfire, so will my second card do anything at all?

pctek
05-09-2008, 08:56 AM
What? Of course Crossfire works with XP, the O/S isn't the point. You do need a Crossfire motherboard, Not a SLI one. And you use the provided connector (came with your motherboard) to join the 2 cards together.

Then of course the monitor only connects to the first card.

You then enable it in Catalyst Control.

calebcc
06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
i do have a crossfire enabled motherboard and crossfire is enabled in catalyst, but what i want to know is what is my other card doing if i dont have it connected liek this (http://www.hardware.no/nyheter/images/ati_crossfire_stor.jpg) will my computer still fully utilize the card.

i currently have it connected with only one plug on the top card instead of one on each liek in the photo.

calebcc
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
can anyone help?

calebcc
06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
ok i have asked around but i have not recieved a definite answer.

does windows xp support CrossfireX?

also if my two cards have the crossfire cable connecting my two HD4850s internally do i still need an external connecter to utilize crossfireX?

i want to know this because in catalyst 8.8 it shows my second graphics card as disabled adapter and i have read from alot of different places all saying different things.

so whats the verdict?

Cheers.

kjaada
06-09-2008, 06:14 PM
See this page: http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=XP+crossfireX
It does not look good

calebcc
06-09-2008, 07:28 PM
ok yes all these different ppl say tht it works and heaps say it dnt.

so does it or not?

and how i get it working?

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
So whats the mobo and whats the chipset??

Some sites say the chipset matters

Some sites also say it'll be slower with 2 cards than with 1

calebcc
06-09-2008, 07:47 PM
asus p5q pro, p45 chipset

i read about peoples problems about how it shows one card as the primary adapter and the second as a disabled adapter even though it is enabled in device manager and such, same thing happens on mine.

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I would ask or go through here (http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=262&forumid=11)

Altho this might answer your question from the above site

Q: How come CrossfireX is not working! I'm using Windows XP?

A: CrossfireX (Using more than 2 GPU's) is only available to Windows Vista with Catalyst 8.3 and above.

So, that sounds like a definite answer to me

calebcc
07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
yes but i only have two HD4850 cards so thts only two GPUs, why isnt it working? how do i get it to work?

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Well either give up coz its not going to work. Look through the link I gave, or post a ? in the forum I posted

And see what they say

pctek
07-09-2008, 08:33 AM
asus p5q pro, p45 chipset

You need 2 things; a Crossfire motherboard. The Crossfire motherboard will come with a Crossfire bridge i and you use this to connect the cards via a port on the top of the card.

calebcc
07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Yes i have a crossfire certified motherboard and a crossfire approved power supply

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Well like I said, post a question or do a search on the site I posted.

They'll probably know more than we do.