PDA

View Full Version : USB problem?

EviLClouD
06-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Occasionally when I plug in a usb device into the front port of my pc, nothing pops up (autoplay thingy). If I try to access My Computer, it will open my computer as a blank folder and show 'My Computer (Not responding)'. If I try to close it, it states that Windows Explorer has stopped responding and CPU usage jumps to 100% on all 4 cores...The only solution so far was to restart pc using the power button on case. What I want to know is what kind of problem is this? USB, driver, software or device?

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1. So far this has happened to 2 devices, flash drive (multiple times) and ipod (once). Both in the same USB port.

Below are a few screenshots of the errors in device manager.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/usb.gif

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/usb2.gif

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/usb3.gif

Thanks in advance for all your help

wainuitech
06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
What happens if you use one of the rear USB ports instead of the front ones ?

EviLClouD
06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Not sure. I'll check on it later.

Thanks

linw
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
You don't say whether the problem occurs with all ports or just one particular port. This is clearly useful diagnostic info. If it is only one port, I would be looking at the physical connections for that port.

The fact that several devices fail sort of eliminates the devices.

EviLClouD
06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Well it's occurred only in the front 2 ports so far. Haven't checked back ports.

Also, the last time this occured i managed to shut down via Windows, and by doing so i received a BSOD just before power off. However i didn't manage to read what was shown as it had disappeared after a sec or so :(

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2008, 12:28 PM
If its only happening to the front ports, (and they work OK on the back USB ports), did you build it / connect the USB front panel connections to the mobo headers yourself?

Were the USB connections (from the front panel) in one block, or separate connections / blocks?

If it only happens on the front ports (and you did build this system), its probably connected wrong (if the USB connections are separate)

feersumendjinn
06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings(top left)>System Properties>Advanced(tab)>Startup & Recovery(settings button)>and turn off Automatically Restart (under System Failure heading); this will allow you to see the BSOD you're getting.
You seem to have a problem with a system driver within Vista, you may need to do a repair install of your OS.
Try doing a "sfc /scannow" (type Run into your Startorb search box, click on the Run command, and type in the text inside the quotes, press Enter (you may need your Vista DVD in the drive)), before doing that though. :badpc:

memphis
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
A mate of mine had a similar problem to you,I found out that the ports on his computer case were only usb 1.0 - lack of power and speed for his usb 2.0 gear.

So we used his mobo usb 2.0 ports instead and no worries all good.:):thumbs:

EviLClouD
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Well the thing is that I've had this pc since like April this year, working perfectly fine, along with ALL USB ports, up until last week or so, when this problem started happening...

wainuitech
06-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Hmmm - Okay - have a careful think - have you changed any settings, added any programs, any updates - then the problems started - or have they just suddenly happening.

In other words, what has changed then the problem started ?

EviLClouD
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Uhh... Steam was installed on 25/8/08, Nero 8 was installed on 26/8/08. Problem started occuring on 29/8/08.

I checked this morning and the one of the free usb ports at the back has this problem too :(

EviLClouD
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Try doing a "sfc /scannow" (type Run into your Startorb search box, click on the Run command, and type in the text inside the quotes, press Enter (you may need your Vista DVD in the drive)), before doing that though. :badpc:

I tried that and all that happened was 'Beginning verification phase of system scan' 0% >>>>> all the way too 100%.

After that was done, the window just closed and nothing else happened.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Is that the only device (the Ipod) that error is coming up for?

Does that error appear for any other USB device?

Try another USB device, see what it does / see if it works

EviLClouD
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Nope. My 2GB Kingston USB flash drive shows this error too...

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Is this installed ? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600/en-us)

This sounds like your prob but its for zunes (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935420)

EviLClouD
07-09-2008, 11:33 AM
How do I check if that's installed or not?

You receive the following event log in Event Viewer:

Event 10111: The device Zune (location Port_#xxxx.Hub_#yyyy) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device z more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

That appears to be my problem...

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Lock in add/remove programs wherever it is

EviLClouD
07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
What's the KB number for that update?

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Its in the link I gave you 941600

wainuitech
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
To get to the Update,go into the Control Panel / Programs and features / top left, Under Tasks, click View Installed Updates, and locate the File,the number is KB941600. Revised on 19th May.

Just looked on mine and it was installed on the 10/2/2008 (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Update_941600.jpg)

EviLClouD
07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Nope, can't see it installed...would it be integrated in SP1?

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/update.gif

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Pass, I dont use Vista, download and install it. It'll tell you whether you need it or not

If it installs it may need a reboot, reboot then see what happens

wainuitech
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
If you look at the link Speedy gave under

INTRODUCTION
Issues that are fixed in the update rollup

KB941600 is a patch to fix the other patches listed, along with the various items they have meant to have fixed :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
So its a patch for a patch for a bunch of cockups

EviLClouD
08-09-2008, 04:27 PM
When i try to install it it says 'This update does not apply to your system'...

Is there any way to reinstall the vista usb drivers or something?

Misty
05-12-2008, 05:08 PM
When i try to install it it says 'This update does not apply to your system'...

Is there any way to reinstall the vista usb drivers or something?

"elpmek" of the PC Help forum says

Assuming XP

Next step is to goto the Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,

there you will see at the bottom

USB System Controllers

expand the list (by clicking on the + sign.)

Delete/Uninstall each item.

Reboot

The PC will refresh its "knowledge" of the USB ports.

Do the front USB's now work?

Relevant ? :D

May be a bit late ;)
Misty

tonymaffoy
06-12-2008, 01:48 AM
try connecting to another usb socket that might work if not then it might be your cable or you can try reinstalling the drivers.:thanks

Misty
06-12-2008, 02:00 AM
try connecting to another usb socket that might work if not then it might be your cable or you can try reinstalling the drivers.:thanks
Actually, I do have basically the same problem as the originator. My back usb sockets work fine. My front only intermittently. If I do as outlined by "elpmek" is that a way of reinstalling the drivers, or is that something different ? Methinks it is probably the latter !
Misty :confused: