PDA

View Full Version : Only One IDE channel??

B.M.
05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
A friend had his motherboard blow up so off he went a bought a new one.

Heís now brought the computer around to me and asked me to fit the new MB.

The new motherboard is an Asus M2N-MX SE Socket AM2 mATX Geforce 6100.

All fine, but the Motherboard only has ONE IDE channel?

His computer has a CD Burner as well as a DVD Burner as well as a HDD of course.

This makes things a bit tricky the way I see it. :confused:

I donít even like putting a CD/DVD on the same IDE Channel as the HDD so whatís the go here?

This is a new one on me.

Oddly, the outfit that sold the MB to him donít want to discuss the matter. :annoyed:

jwil1
05-09-2008, 03:46 PM
IDEs are pretty much obsolete - there will be a few SATA ports, so use them instead.

Might be best to put the IDE HD in, then buy a new SATA HD and copy the old one to the new one, then put the optical drive in the IDE port.

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Yup its similar to the one I brought the M2A-VM HDMI

Its only got 1 IDE connector, but has 4 SATA ports.

Altho, I'm planning on using SATA anyway.

There are also mobos with no parallel ports now (on the back) but they still have the connection for it on the mobo.

And some dont have PS2 ports either

I think most mobos makers expect you to use SATA now, which is why some of them only have 1 IDE connection now

Bantu
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
No problem with CD/DVD and HDD on the same, I have been doing it that way for years and it is not a problem.

You can get an addon card such as Promise controller and add another 4 devices to it. One is ATA100 the other ATA133.

I have 2 Promise Cards and a DSE one I use on various computers. The DSE one is rubbish but it works, I can have SATA or IDE drives to it.

pctek
05-09-2008, 04:22 PM

:

Its very hard to find a board now with 2 IDE. SATA has made it obsolete, or almost.
Notice lots of boards have eliminated the PS2 mouse port also now.

He doesn't need a DVD RW as well as CD RW. Tell him to sell the CD RW.

Erayd
05-09-2008, 04:52 PM
He doesn't need a DVD RW as well as CD RW. Tell him to sell the CD RW.Unless he's doing direct copies of CDs, in which case he'll still need two optical drives.

B.M.
06-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys, that confirms what I suspected.

Couple of queries though.

1: If you have a HDD and a CD/DVD on the same cable does not the data transfer from the HDD slow to that of the CD/DVD?

2: I've never had anything to do with these Promice Cards Bantu speaks of.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of these and what is the best brand?

Sounds useful. :D

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
1: If you have a HDD and a CD/DVD on the same cable does not the data transfer from the HDD slow to that of the CD/DVD?

Thats what some people say, but cant do much if there's only one IDE connection. Besides using SATA

What are the advantages/disadvantages of these and what is the best brand?

Never used one so cant tell you what the best brand is

It'll probably be cheaper, to buy a SATA hdd, or CD/burner. And chuck it on a SATA connection

B.M.
06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Would one of these get us out of the pooooooo?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48c18fda01304fdc2740c0a87f3b06f3/Product/View/XH8269

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2008, 08:43 AM
That should work, altho you dont really need SATA 1, since SATA 2 is on the mobo.

B.M.
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
That should work, altho you dont really need SATA 1, since SATA 2 is on the mobo.

No worries about the SATA Speedy because we don't have anything to hook to them anyway.

Just wondered if I could hook the two cd/dvd drives to the card and the HDD to IDE1 on the board? :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Yup shouldnt be a prob

Bantu
06-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Would one of these get us out of the pooooooo?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48c18fda01304fdc2740c0a87f3b06f3/Product/View/XH8269

Take a look at the manual on the support page for that product. I think it is the same one I have in this PC. from memory it uses jumpers to set EITHER ATA or SATA but not both at the same time. I just have it running one ATA133 330Gb drive at the moment.

Agent_24
07-09-2008, 01:23 AM
A friend had his motherboard blow up so off he went a bought a new one.

Heís now brought the computer around to me and asked me to fit the new MB.

His computer has a CD Burner as well as a DVD Burner as well as a HDD of course.

This makes things a bit tricky the way I see it. :confused:

I donít even like putting a CD/DVD on the same IDE Channel as the HDD so whatís the go here?

This is a new one on me.

Oddly, the outfit that sold the MB to him donít want to discuss the matter. :annoyed:

Why should they? they didn't design the board...

Easy to fix, just buy a PCI IDE card or some IDE to SATA adaptors...

Its very hard to find a board now with 2 IDE. SATA has made it obsolete, or almost.
Notice lots of boards have eliminated the PS2 mouse port also now.

He doesn't need a DVD RW as well as CD RW. Tell him to sell the CD RW.

I always like to have at least 2 drives in each PC of mine, stops me going mad when I want to read 2 CDs at once :D