PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Name error has stopped pc from showing up in network places...

Lee08
04-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Recently I had a clients pc connected on my home network so i could fix and update it, i run just a simple home network (no domain or server, etc) running 2 laptops and a pc all connected together via a router.

After turning on the clients pc I then turned on my laptop (runs win xp pro) and received a "duplicate name" error message on my laptop as for some reason the clients pc name was exactly the same as my laptops "asus".

Since this duplicate name error message has shown up on my laptop ive been unable to access my laptop from others eg. if i type in \\asus i get the following:

\\asus is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

However if i type in the fulll path of a share name on my laptop eg. \\asus\server it access's it fine.

My laptop also no longer shows up under my network places, etc on any other laptop/pc. All my shares have been setup using simple file sharing.

It was all working fine until I got this duplicate name error message.

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Info here (http://ask-leo.com/a_duplicate_name_exists_on_the_network_what_does_t hat_mean_how_do_i_fix_it.html)

Lee08
04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Info here (http://ask-leo.com/a_duplicate_name_exists_on_the_network_what_does_t hat_mean_how_do_i_fix_it.html)

thanks but doesnt solve the network problem of not being able to type \\asus ive tried changing name of the laptop to something else but that doesnt fix the problem either. Should of said that the duplicate error message only showed up once as i quickly renamed the clients pc at the time, however the message showing up on my laptop must of changed a setting somewhere.

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Probably a firewall stopping it

If a firewall is installed, add the network to it (if its not XP's)

Lee08
04-09-2008, 03:29 PM
dont have any firewall or internet security, etc installed on here, only windows xp firewall which is turned off. I could access \\asus perfectly fine till i got the duplicate name error.

wainuitech
04-09-2008, 05:05 PM
have a look at the following , found this on another tech site
Click Start->Run->CMD

Type the following lines exactly from the command prompt (misspelling won't generate an error): Note: where (press enter- means just that press the enter key)

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 (press Enter)
START DEVMGMT.MSC

In the window that opens, Click View/Show all hidden devices.
Navigate to your Network Adapters. Uninstall any that are showing as tranparent icons.
Reboot.

You might also try
Start->Run->CMD /K IPCONFIG /Release
IPCONFIG /Renew

Lee08
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
have a look at the following , found this on another tech site

tried but made no difference.

I think since I can access the shares such as \\asus\server fine but cant access just the workstation \\asus that the duplicate error must of changed the security on the workstation access but not the shares. I cant also connect to the shared printers on this laptop eg. if i type \\asus\hp laser i get the following error:

\\asus\hp laser is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions.

Incorrect function.

Lee08
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Finally fixed the problem!!!

Its been only around two months putting up with this and spending the hour here and there looking on the net for the answer. Im a pc tech so im not normally stumped by much.

The fix was to go into regedit and change the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000

Obviously the duplicate error must of changed this setting to dword:00000001

Thanks to the guys who posted above. :clap

wainuitech
04-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Glad it was resolved - thanks for advising the outcome - learn something every day, only takes 1 small change sometimes - and its finding that change thats the problem..