PDA

View Full Version : Have blocked MotiveBrowser using Comodo

Misty
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I have worked this out by myself :eek:

Have been getting continual pop-ups from Comodo saying that MotiveBrowser wants to run a temp file, then get another - using three to four each day. Blocking each one is a pain in the ass. They usually pop up when you are doing something else.

Looking up MotiveBrowser on the net it seems that it is of low incidence nuisance and the advice is to leave in place. However the annoyance !!! :mad: :mad:

I have therefore blocked Motive directory.exe using Comodo and hope that may solve the problem. Anyone disagree ? Offer of a better solution ??
Misty :D

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Where is this file? Is it in program files / part of something you know?

It looks like its some part of some HP software as well

As motivebrowser also belongs to a trojan (http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-030616-5309-99&tabid=2)

Is that what you found in google?

Misty
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Where is this file? Is it in program files / part of something you know?

It looks like its some part of some HP software as well

As motivebrowser also belongs to a trojan (http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-030616-5309-99&tabid=2)

Is that what you found in google?
Hi Speedy
It is in a folder in program files called Motive. It is not part of something I know.

I do use an HP printer but it pops up far more often than my use of the printer.

My searches on Google were a while ago. First time I was somewhat reassured, and also the subsequent times, but .... now .....! Did not see the warning re trojan. My thoughts are that it is not a trojan because by now it would have deleted some of the stuff showing in the warnings re that. Mrs Misty has okayed it to Comodo to operate quite a few times not realising what a nuisance it is.
Misty :)

robsonde
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Speedy
It is in a folder in program files called Motive. It is not part of something I know.

do you use or have you ever used xtra ADSL??

as i found out last week, the xtra ADSL install CD give you a thing called motive.exe.

word on the streat is that motive.exe is the "xtra help" wizard thing....

bevy121
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Yep - The Xtra "help" thing (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=92983&highlight=motive.exe) I'd say

Probably resending your name, address, and telephone number! :eek:

All these are part of xtra "Help Assistant"....

#
Xtrahelp.exe
#
MotiveBrowser.exe
#
MCCITrayApp.exe

There should be an entry in
Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs
where you can uninstall it

Misty
05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
In the end Comodo did not block it even though I had specified it correctly. The pop-ups kept appearing.

I have now uninstalled the Xtra "Help Assistant". Thanks for the suggestion Robsonde and Bevy. During the de-installation process Comodo kept telling me that regsvr.exe was wanting to change Hot-keys and thinking it was one of the necessary things to happen I ticked and agreed each time. Then there were so many changes, started to get worried and I blocked the last two changes.

However it seems most likely, after googling, that regsvr.exe is a legitimate Microsoft application just doing the job. I guess that now means that two hot keys not changed, presumably deleted, as they should have been. However, as I understand things, that should not be a major (hopefully ?).

Summary
Great to stop the pop-ups !! :thumbs: :thumbs:

(small residual worry re the hot-keys :confused: )
Thanks again
Misty :)