PDA

View Full Version : Help with MS Access

colmack
04-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm trying to repair a really messy Access database belonging to a new employer. To do my job properly I need to have the original specifications but these are not available. Does anyone know of a utility which would allow me to do a 'backwards analysis' to create a picture of how the tables and relationships were originally designed?

nofam
04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Don't know of such a utility, but I do this all the time, and it boils down to sticking to the fundamentals of good, efficient database design.

Actually, I just found this (http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/BestPractices.html) - not cheap though!

Ask some specifics, and we'll see if we can help!

beama
04-09-2008, 07:00 PM
within access with the database open, goto tools relationships also try analyze this may provide what you want

zcc
05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
if you cannot get to the db by access direct you may need to crack the password on the db. there are plenty of tools around that claim they can do this. I have no recommendation on any of them, just be carefull and make sure you work on a copy.
If you can print out the db structure you may find this the best method of working out the structure. A complex db structure can be hard to workout without plain old paper on a large desk.
Good luck