PDA

View Full Version : Address Bar

Mervyn
04-09-2008, 12:19 PM
:confused: After running various cleanup software on my XP computer the address bar on the taskbar has disappeared. I am pretty sure in the past I established it by right clicking a blank part of the taskbar and selecting address bar but now this is no longer one of the optional toolbars.
Can anyone help as this is most friustrating!!

thanks Mervyn

wainuitech
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
If you have XP SP3 have a look At this forum (http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp-sp3/address-missing-from-toolbars-after-installing-windows-xp-sp3/) - may be the problem.

If you have problems when trying to copy into the system32 folder you may have to do it in command prompt or safe mode, easiest way in command prompt is to copy the dll file to the C: drive, then reboot, tapping the F8 Key, select safe mode with command prompt. when loaded type in the following Exactly as written in blue.

copy C:\browseui.dll C:\windows\system32 hit enter, press Y to agree to overwrite, then reboot the PC when it advices its copied (may need to hit the reset button)

Mervyn
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks wainuitech - you are on to it. I did amongst other things load SP3. Very aggravating. I downloaded the zipped browseui file from the site you referred me to onto desktop then transferred it into C: ( I think ) but when I type your blue line into safemode command prompt it sez can't find file.
As you might have gathered I am not very clever can you think where I have gone wrong. e.g how would you copy to C: drive and what about unzipping or something??
Mervyn

wainuitech
04-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I would unzip the dll to the desktop, then cut / paste to the C: drive, easiest way is right click the dll / cut, then double click My Computer / double click C: drive and right click Paste.

I tried it and copy/paste into system32 brings up an error in use etc but the command worked, mind you I didn't have the problem of no address bar - so I'm not to sure if this will fix the problem,but shouldn't hurt.

The desktop (which is just another folder) is not actually where you may think it is, its actually in the following path C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Desktop

So by pasting the dll to the C: drive it eliminates the long command to get to the desktop (hope that makes sense)

Make sure when you type in the command you spell it correctly with no gaps apart from where they are meant to be, usually single gaps as well, in command prompt, you are telling the PC exactly what to do with what file. Wrong Gaps and mis spelt in command prompt can cause problems.

EG: copy GAP C:\browseui.dll GAP C:\windows\system32

What the command is doing is telling the OS to copy the dll from the C Drive to the folder called system32