PDA

View Full Version : Setup of Hard Drive Partitions

GR8Metal
02-09-2008, 09:22 AM
What's the best option in regards to setting up partitions on a new hard drive.

If I want to install windows vista on my 250gb hard drive, is it a good idea to make say a 40GB partition for vista and leave the rest for data etc? I've seen PC's with 3 partitions, 1 for OS, 1 for programs & 1 for data. Is this necessary?

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2008, 09:31 AM
You dont have to partition.

But if you have 2 or more partitions, if you get hit by a virus or trojan or something, it'll save you formatting the whole hdd.

And you can re-install the updates from one of the partitions

Otherwise, you may have to redownload all of the updates again, and reinstall them

pctek
02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
If I want to install windows vista on my 250gb hard drive, is it a good idea to make say a 40GB partition for vista and leave the rest for data etc?

Its not necessary but I do it and then Ghost c:. Much easier to clean out/restore in case of disasters etc.

But remember to move MyDocuments to D: if you do.

GR8Metal
02-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Awesome, thanks guys. I'll give that a go!

smokey
02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
What's the best option in regards to setting up partitions on a new hard drive.

If I want to install windows vista on my 250gb hard drive, is it a good idea to make say a 40GB partition for vista and leave the rest for data etc? I've seen PC's with 3 partitions, 1 for OS, 1 for programs & 1 for data. Is this necessary?

Cheers :)

definiteley have 2 partitions at least, 1 for vista and progs and the rest for your data. saves losing all yr data if you need to reinstal or have probs with vista.

just make sure the vista partition is big enough to include all yr progs as well. 40gb sounds right if u arent into games. my xp partition is 20gb with 2gb free but there are no games and some data on it.

i woudnt bother having a sep partition for progs.