PDA

View Full Version : No sound with Vista

Tony
02-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm sure I've seen this topic before, but can't find a reference.

I have just reinstalled Vista Business + SP1, and now I have no sound - music, windows sounds or anything. When I unplug/plug in the jack, there is lots of crackling, so there is obviously an physical connection to the speakers.
It is on-board sound.

I've tried:
Uninstalling-reinstalling the "High Definition Audio Devices" in Control Panel - no difference.

Playing with the sound parameters in Control Panel/sounds. It shows "Digital "Output device (HDMI)" and "Digital Output Device (SPDIF)" with that as the default. Both say "working". The SPDIF device shows "Rear panel optical jack" under properties.

I'm sure I've seen reference to this issue before, but when I search they all come up with references to actual sound cards, which doesn't help.

Any ideas?

pcuser42
02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
What motherboard is it? Download the drivers from their site.

pctek
02-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Downloaded new drivers from your motherboard manufacturers site?

Tony
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm embarrassed to say that downloading the drivers did the trick. For some reason I didn't think loading specific drivers would be necessary. :blush:

Thanks.

pcuser42
02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Ah, but they are. ;)

Example: Vista didn't play nicely with my graphics card (and gave my PC a score of 1.0) until the ATi drivers were downloaded.

SolMiester
02-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm embarrassed to say that downloading the drivers did the trick. For some reason I didn't think loading specific drivers would be necessary. :blush:

Thanks.

Yup, thats embarrassing..........