PDA

View Full Version : Won't boot into safe mode

kfoffice
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
No doubt this has happened before but after my computer got infected by some 10 viruses it started to do very strange things like programs popping up while you're working, freezing a lot infact I eventually I couldn't connect to both the internet nor check my emails on Outlook Express.

I ran Avast, and AVG successfully but Ccleaner and Spybot search froze half-way through scanning.

I then decided it's time to run these programs (antivirus and registry cleaner) in the Safe Mode maybe they will be more effective in getting rid off the virus and clean my computer. But when I tried to press F8 while windows is starting up a blue screen comes up telling me that Windows has shut the computer down for security reasons.

I then typed msconfig in run and placed a tick in \Safebook box in System Configuration Utility to see if the computer can be booted into Safe Mode. But here's where I got stuck. Now whenever the computer starts it goes no further than the blue screen.

Can anyone help me here on how t use my original XP Pro CD to fix the problem or perhaps there are other better ways to fix my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Try last known good config from the menu

kfoffice
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Tried that, windows loded for a while then the blue screen pops up again.

kfoffice
01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I think because I placed that tick in the \Safeboot box in the System Configuration Utility that computer will automatically tries to boot into Safe Mode but I don't know how to get back into System Configuration Utility screen until Windows is fully loaded and back to normal.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Does the blue screen show any stop error or anything else, (the name of a file/driver), besides telling you its shut down for security reasons?

Another thing you can do is connect it as a slave (if its IDE) and scan it. On a working computer

kfoffice
01-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Below is the full message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL if this is the first you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Enter
check to make sure any new hardware or software is prpoerly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you may need.

If prob;em contiue, disable or remove any newly installed software. Disable bios memory option such as kitchen or shadowing.

If you need to use safe mode to tremove or disable to remove component,

Technical information:

***STOP:0x0000000A (0xF79B8354, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x804E5619)

kfoffice
01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry I left out a line in the error message: .....press F8 and choose Safe Mode...

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
You could try this if its XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063)

Or try removing everything except the videocard/ram/hdd. See if it boots

Its probably these viruses, that screwed things up

wainuitech
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
have you tried Safe Mode with Command prompt ? If it boots and gives you a Command window, try running system restore back to before you changed the settings - type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe Press Enter.

Follow the instructions given to perform the System Restore process.

If that doesn't work, this is a long shot BUT worth a try - boot from the XP CD, Load the recovery Console, Press R to enter it, the CD will look for your Install, select 1 (usual location for the OS) at the administrator account, press enter ( blank Password) unless you have given it one, then type in what ever it is.

At the command Prompt, type in chkdsk /r Press enter, let it run through and then try to boot normally when finished.

Note: chkdsk /f would be better, but wont run from the XP CD.

kfoffice
01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm running Windows XP Pro, AMD Quad, 4MB RAM, and 1terabyte SATA hard drive. I've run Clonezilla and checked the memory and seems to be all ok.

When I used XP Pro CD to boot windows and asks me what I want to do and I select "Last known good...." it loads well until just before it gets to the opening screen the blue screen comes up again.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Try what Wainuitech posted, whats the brand/model of the mobo

Grimy
01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
The message you've had is the same as one I had before my PC shut down on me. Do you have any Norton software on the machine and downloaded SP3 (if that's applicable to Pro)?
If you have, check out my thread of a few days ago "Norton GoBack has locked up my PC"
If not the rescue disc "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" is brilliant and might help you.

kfoffice
02-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm using my office computer to go online seeking help.

Because I can't boot into Windows or safe mode I can't use the restore command to reset the computer. Basically when I get to the screen that offers Starting Windows normally, last know confuguration or something along those lines, safe mode, command, etc.....whenever I select any of them the computer runs for a while then the blue screen.

The only thing that works is the XP Pro CD. So I typed in the chkdsk /r command and all went well (too almost an hour to scan) but when I took the CD out so it can start normally it got stuck again at the blue screen.

I partitioned my hard drive to 3 partitions before all this happenned. So I'm thinking that if the worse comes to the worst I can reload windows in another partition and save all my files from the corrupted partition. But will the viruses spread right throughout the whole hard-drive including the other free partitions?

I hope there is another easier solution than the long suffering format and reloading all the programs, etc.

I'll have another go later when I get back from my all day course today.

kfoffice
02-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm working from my office to go online. I tried what you suggested wainuitech and still once I finished running the chkdsk /r (took about 40 minutes), took CD out, re started from harddrive, the blue screen came up again.

Just wondering, I partitioned my drive into some 4 partitions before all these viruses got in, will the whole harddrive be infected? Can reloadwindows in another partition and transfer my corrupted drive over (of course running antivirus programs ccleaner in the new partition b4 transfer)?

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2008, 09:37 AM
No it should only be on the partition that got hit by the viruses / whatever

The other partitions should be ok (unless some folders are shared on the other partitions, they maybe infected).

I wouldnt copy files from the infected hdd to another partition. It probably wont work anyway, because the info for whatever program needs to be in the registry, (which it will be), but it'll be pointing to the wrong partition. You would have to go through the registry and change all of the path names for all the programs. So, they'll work properly

You may have to format the main partition

pctek
02-09-2008, 09:44 AM
System Restore will bring all the malware back with it.
I'd repair install it then boot into safe mode and clean it out.

kfoffice
03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm fast coming to the conclusion to go through the long painful process of backing up everything re load windows afresh and re load all the programs. But this will mean getting another SATA harddrive (a 250GB or thereabouts) to backup all my corrupted data. Format my 1terabyte hdd, reload windows afresh, all the programs, run Avast antivirus and then restore data from the 250 hdd.

Is there a better less painful way to get around this?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Dont bother about backing anything up if its corrupted. Do a clean install / format and reinstall everything

wainuitech
03-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Try what Pctek suggested in the earlier post #17, if you dont know how ----

Its 50/50 as to wheather it will work or not, always better to save any data beforehand as well, as I have had this process wipe the data when it's not meant to.

If data is Corrupted then its useless, if programs are corrupted they can always be reinstalled on a fresh install.

You will need your 25 digit product key for this.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.
1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
NOTE: if it doesn't locate your old OS STOP! As any further actions may result in wiping your data.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

kfoffice
03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
My problem is I can't get to the safe mode because of the blue screen that keeps poppin up after I press F8.

But all my programs, data, etc are in the main partition (C:) that I can't access (the one with the blue screen).

So what I'm thinking is to load windows on the next partition (D:), reload all the programs (e.g. Office 2003, print drivers, Internet Explorer 7, Avast, etc), then transfer the data from partition C:

After I transfer all the data from C:, and hopefully the freshly loaded windows XP Pro with Avast antivirus will kill any virus that will come with the data from C:, then I'll format partition C:

That's the plan.

To answer the restore question, the only that works so far in booting from the XP Pro CD. When I boot it from the hard drive it gets so far then the blue screen. I've run from the CD followed by chkdsk /r which took about 40minutes, took CD out restarted the computer to boot normally from the hard-drive and hello, the blue screen again. I think there must be something very wrong with the registry (which is why I have been trying in vain to get into Safe Mode) but unless there is another way I get passed the blue screen using the XP Pro CD I'm totally stuck.

Blam
03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Have you got a UBCD4Win? That once happened to me and I used a UBCD4Win to fix it and it worked.

kfoffice
09-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Just got my computer back from computer shop...apparently they just ran a system restore from their XP Pro CD and it was done, just like that. My computer was able to Windows and most of the programs ran smoothly.

They did advise however, due to time contraint and cost that it would be better for me to load Windows fresh on a another partition of my 1 terabyte hard-drive (I currently have 4 partitions), do a full backup of everything to another partition, format the current seemingly corrupted partition, run antivirus programs in partition where windows being freshly reloaded, then run backup restore from newly loaded windows partition.

I don't think everything is fixed, for example, my Outlook Express does not send or receive any eamil. I've rang Vodafone, walked through various diagnostic tests, checked pop3 incoming mail, smtp outgoing mail, account name, but I still couldn't receive or send mail. Bacuase I am able to receive and send mail from vodfone webmail their technician suggested that there is certainly something majorly worng with my Outlook Express.

working at all. So I may follow his advice and start from scratch one of these days.

No I don't have UBCDWin