PDA

View Full Version : IE 5.5 uninstall

19-05-2001, 01:34 PM
I installed IE5.5 when I upgraded to Windows ME and have had a lot of problems with lock-ups etc when on line (Athlon 1000, 256 Mhz RAM)
How can I ditch 5.5 so I can reinstall my old reliable 5.01 SP1? NB it does not appear in Add/Remove programs and I can find no other uninstall feature.

19-05-2001, 02:42 PM
...if you cannot find 'IE5.5 and Internet Tools' inside the Add/Remove Programmes function so as to restore your previous version of Explorer, try this:

Go - Start > Programmes > Accessories > System Tools > Microsoft Information > Tools > and click on ' Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

Click 'Restore the Previous Windows Configuration' > Okay and follow the on-screen directions.

IMPORTANT NOTE: back-up your Address Book and Bookmarks before execution !!!

Comment: it is quite possible that your problem with system lock-ups is due more to an untidy or incorrect install and a messy registry RATHER THAN THE . Good luck.

e_

...if you cannot find 'IE5.5 and Internet Tools' inside the Add/Remove Programmes function so as to restore your previous version of Explorer, try this:

Go - Start > Programmes > Accessories > System Tools > Microsoft Information > Tools > and click on ' Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

Click 'Restore the Previous Windows Configuration' > Okay and follow the on-screen directions.

Comment: it is quite possible that your problem with system lock-ups is due more to an untidy or incorrect install and a messy registry RATHER THAN THE . Good luck.

e_

e_

e_

19-05-2001, 02:46 PM
...good grief!!!

Sorry, dunno what happened with all those postings - the machine kinda took off on me.

:))

e_

20-05-2001, 11:14 PM
I wanted to do something similar with my system (Celeron 500, Windows 98 SE). But guess what? You can't remove Internet Explorer separately from Windows SE on. The Repair tool option in the System Info application isn't there either. See Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q236579 for explanation. Goto: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/5/79.ASP?LN=EN-NZ&SD=gn&FR=0