PDA

View Full Version : trying to link laptop and desktop together

shione83
31-08-2008, 08:28 PM
i i am so googled out on this one! hoping someone here can point me in the right direction please.
have a desktop running xp home edition. this is connected to my wireless router with an ethernet cable..... i also have a laptop running vista.... i have this connected to the internet wirelessly.
now i want to be able to connect both these machines so i can share files between them but i cannot for the life of me work out how to do this.
on my desktop i have the wireless network connection icon in my system tray with an x. ( Not connected) i cant connect it no matter what i try. it cant repair itself...tells me to see the person managing the network....guess thats me ..but what network??? thats what i am trying to set up!
i have been into device manager and uninstalled it and reinstalled it... have updated and rolled back drivers.
i have run the wireless network wizard, which told me it had done the job but accompanied by an error message saying to go to microsoft.com and find out how to run the wzc program. did that and was told that it couldnt be run on my pc!
now i have another icon appear in my systray that tells me ...wireless lan card....LOST! wonder where that went huh??
have also tried the network setup wizard but only get to the second window and it tells me that the connections listed below are disconnected. Wireless Network connection 802.11bWLan PCI #2 ( i have no idea where the #2 came from.... it never used to be there and i cant find how to rename that either!)
but i dont know how to turn it on .... so i check ignore disconnected network hardware and get thru that part. then when that finishes i put the disk i was advised to make into my laptop and that does its thing... after checking disconnected network hardware on the laptop... then it finishes and tells me it couldnt do it coz there was an error!
theres gotta be someone out there who can walk me thru this please??? :) so far i have spent about 4 hours doing this.... havent even thought about dinner yet either!

Renmoo
31-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Haven't got the concentration to read the post, but looked through your manual yet?

shione83
31-08-2008, 09:35 PM
what manual?? i have no manual for anything apart from my mobo

Renmoo
31-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Now that I have read through your post, I am still not sure what's the problem. Guess I will buckle off now. Have you tried using the generic XP driver for wireless adaptors?

Manual: As in, your wireless router.

shione83
01-09-2008, 09:00 AM
didnt get manual with router.
and my problem is i want to connect my 2 computers and i am having all the above probs and it aint happening

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Dont use the Wireless wizard, its as bad as the network wizard

Just configre it the same way you would do with an ethernet connection / network

I dont think the router is the prob, it'll be Vista

Go to the site for whoever made the router. And download the manual

linw
01-09-2008, 09:55 AM
To start, the 'network' is the connected router. PC and laptop. Each device in this network must be in the same address range.

OK. Basic problem is that you don't need/want the wireless adapter on the PC. How did it get there? You are connecting to the network with the cable. The cable adapter will show in Device Manager. If the wireless adapter is there as well, disable it (you can physically remove it later).

On both the PC and laptop, get up a command prompt window (Run cmd). Type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and hit enter. What is the network addr, mask, and gateway addr on each?

Still in the command window, use the ping command to see whether the other machine responds. Type ping other machine's address e.g it might be like ping 192.168.1.20 (PC pings to laptop address and vice versa).

Report back with results.

wainuitech
01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
have a desktop running xp home edition. this is connected to my wireless router with an ethernet cable..... i also have a laptop running vista.... i have this connected to the internet wirelessly.
now i want to be able to connect both these machines so i can share files between them but i cannot for the life of me work out how to do this.
on my desktop i have the wireless network connection icon in my system tray with an x Why would you want the desktop Connecting by wireless if its connected by an Ethernet cable ??

lakewoodlady
01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
So, basically you want to be able to share files between the two puters? Can't you just Right click on the folder you want to share and choose Sharing and security? That will open the Sharing window and you just tick some boxes in there.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2008, 11:52 AM
So, basically you want to be able to share files between the two puters? Can't you just Right click on the folder you want to share and choose Sharing and security? That will open the Sharing window and you just tick some boxes in there.

Thats what you do in XP (well Pro, since Home doesnt have a security tab), its not that easy in Vista to do the same thing

Altho if you tick simple file sharing, you dont have to use the security tab

wainuitech
01-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Spot on for XP :thumbs: But for Vista its a bit different, Download This PDF (http://dl4u.savefile.com/6103037f85cd005edfa3eb0c82447fa4/Sharing_in_Vista.pdf)- its one I give to customers on how to share a folder in Vista. Edited: you may need to right click the link / save as.

Two other things you need make sure of ---
Make sure both PC's / Laptop are on the same work group
With the Laptop, make sure the wireless is actually turned on - usually a small switch near the bottom front on the laptop - often its turned off.

shione83
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
ok did the run/cmd bit
desktop ip address 10.1.1.3
mask 255.0.0.0
gateway 10.1.1.1

laptop IPv4 address 10.1.1.4 (preferred)
Mask 255.0.0.0
Gateway 10.1.1.1

then did the ping test
desktop to laptop 4 packets sent 4 packets recieved 0% loss

laptop to desktop
Request timed out x 4
4 packets sent 0 packets recieved 100% Loss

and to the other replyers... i have no idea about any of your questions that is why i asked for help..but presumed that if i wanted the 2 computers to connect they would have to do it wirelessly??

wainuitech
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
but presumed that if i wanted the 2 computers to connect they would have to do it wirelessly?? Nope - as Long as both PC or laptop are connecting to the router which is the gateway, it doesn't matter how they connect.

Try this - start from the beginning.

On the XP PC - Connect Via the ethernet cable, go into the control Panel/ Network Connections/ Right click Local area Network/Properties/Internet Protocol, make sure both options are on Obtain Automatically - Click OK to exit out. While in the control Panel, double click Windows Firewall - Disable it. (reboot the PC)

Click Start/run type in CMD , hit enter, type in ping 10.1.1.1 Press enter, you should get a reply 4 times.
As long as you get a reply close the CMD box, right click My Computer / Properties/ Computer Name Tab - look at the workgroup & the Computrer Name - take note of what it says. Close the window. Make sure you can get on the internet.

Now Vista - Click the start Orb/ Control Panel / ( top left, make sure classic view is selected)/ Windows Firewall/ Up top left select turn Firewall On or Off - turn it off, go back to the control Panel /network and Sharing Center- In the center, make sure network discovery, file sharing is on, and password protection sharing is off, On the Left select "Manage Network Connections", look for your wireless, right click it and make sure its enabled.

(Going from memory Now) - you should be able to tell it to scan or connect to a network, As long as the Router is transmitting and the laptop is looking it should detect the signal.

Assuming it connects - click the start Orb/in the seach type in CMD <Enter> in the CMD box, type in Ping 10.1.1.1 hopefully it will get a reply 4 times.

Once you have the LAptop talking to the router - click the start Orb / in the search type in System you will get several starting with system, select Sytem, in the middle of the window will be the workgroup Name - make sure its the same as the XP one you wrote down IMPORTANT make sure the Computer name is different to the PC, if not change it - on the right, click "change settings" then the change button, change the workgroup so they both match. - save and reboot.

Now - assuming every thing is working as it should you should now be able to Ping each PC/Laptop by its IP address. To check the address, open a CMD box in both Laptop/PC, type in ipconfig <Enter> note the address's.

Once they are talking to one another Via a ping, share the folders you want as described by Lakewood lady and the PDF file I posted above.

IF anything above is NOT working - please state what stage on what PC or laptop.

Do one at a time other wise people get lost as to where the problem is.

shione83
01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
goodness me! how easy was that once u explained it all so clearly. thank u so much.
had a couple of hiccups but just redid and it finally came together for me.
think maybe i should have come straight to press1 instead of trying to do it myself
thank u both very much

wainuitech
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Glad it all worked :thumbs: :) The above took longer to write out and check than to actually do :lol: - most of the times if a person keeps it basic and simple, the problems are not that great, its when the Basic's dont work you have to dive a bit deeper.

Windows firewall can be a real pain in the you know where :eek:

What you now need to do is get a good firewall, Comodo (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/) is good, and best of all free. Once installed it will need to be configured - but thats easy as well - just yell if you decide to get it, and you need help.---

Note: it may pay to carry this thread on if you do need help, that way others can see whats been done already.

shione83
02-09-2008, 08:31 PM
thanx for that link to the free firewall comodo... downloaded and installed it on both computers... seems ok tho is a pain if it asks permission and i dont know what it is coz i cant get to internet to search it if its internet related
again thanx for ur help i appreciate it
Shione

sook
25-09-2008, 06:29 AM
hey wainuitech,
i don't know whether you are still watchin this thread. but i'm looking to do the same thing as shione83. i got so far as to pinging the router. i can't find anything with system with the workgroup name..
my laptop can ping my pc however, but the pc isn't pinging the laptop.

please help? :)
thanks

Renmoo
25-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Firewall - checked?
Workgroup name - checked?

sook
25-09-2008, 07:02 AM
yup. checked for both. firewall off and same workgroup name.
i can see the laptop (vista) on "my network placeS" on my desktop (XP) but I can't access it.

Beemer
25-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I tried following these instructions for my Vista laptop and PC but am still not having any luck. All seems to work okay on the PC but when I try the ipconfig then enter on the laptop I just get a series of 'media disconnected' messages. When I ping I get an answer, so I am not sure what I am missing here. I turned off the firewall on both machines and made sure the PC was called desktop and the laptop was called laptop, and the workgroup is both the same, but no luck. I also saw both the printers connected to the PC on the laptop but when I tried to print something, they were not there.

Beemer
25-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I went in to edit it to say I can't open the PDF file either, but it wouldn't let me edit my post as it had been more than 15 minutes! I get this message: Invalid download session. Please initialize download session again.