PDA

View Full Version : Onenote 07

Blam
31-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey, is onenote any good if your laptop isn't a tablet PC?
We usually do notetaking with word 07 at school on our lappies but I find it hard to link notes and do mind mapping well. Am considering to buy-dad gets a significant discount buying M$ products at work. Also, if I do buy Onenote in the end, is it possible to somehow "convert" my orginal Word 07 notes to Onenote? May be to much to ask for...

Blam

Renmoo
31-08-2008, 09:26 PM
We usually do notetaking with word 07 at school on our lappies but I find it hard to link notes and do mind mapping well.
Hmmm, on that note, I find Microsoft Visio to be good at handling those.

Cheers :)

wainuitech
31-08-2008, 09:56 PM
if I do buy Onenote in the end, is it possible to somehow "convert" my orginal Word 07 notes to Onenote? May be to much to ask for... You can copy / paste the contents of a word document into One Note, then edit them etc, but not actually open a word document with one Note heres what you get (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/One_note.jpg) if you try :(

jwil1
31-08-2008, 09:58 PM
You can also use the "Send to OneNote" virtual printer to send copies of documents to OneNote. You can't edit these though.

Blam
01-09-2008, 09:03 AM
What is onenote actually for?
Just notetaking?
How is it better than word for note taking?

jwil1
01-09-2008, 09:34 AM
OneNote doesn't apply any formatting rules - and you can type wherever you want and move it to wherever you want. Lots more hotkeys - press Tab to create a table etc etc.

It's basically a very very flexible version of Word - which Word is not :D

More details here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/HA100325701033.aspx

Blam
01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
so...is it worth me buying it?

beeswax34
01-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, what do you actually want to do?

Taking notes is pretty simple, you dont need OneNote for that. But if you want to brainstorm or create freestyle charts and tables or just think aloud, then OneNote will probably help.

Blam
01-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Just notetking at school-a bit of mind mapping and chart drawing-we need to resort to "Inspiration" when we do mind mapping and then copy and paste to our Word document which is quite time consuming

myke
04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey, is onenote any good if your laptop isn't a tablet PC?
We usually do notetaking with word 07 at school on our lappies but I find it hard to link notes and do mind mapping well...

Blam

Yeah, I think that Onenote is still useful... even without a tablet. Have you looked at Freemind for mindmapping? It is like free, and has some useful export functions.

Tablets are kinda cool. I had a played with one a few weeks ago. The handwriting recognition has come a long way in Vista.
I like the idea of the HP Touch and pen based tablet that I saw in Noel Leeming, the other day.

Think of Onenote as being like an exercise book.
Google have something similar that I used a few years ago; call Google Notebook. Plugs into your browser... needs an internet connection though.

Blam
05-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Did conside Freemind-but use inspiration at school.
I wanted something more all rounded with more features though