PDA

View Full Version : Sound problem (lack of it)

k8smum
29-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi there
Last night my daughter was on Barbie.com playing games, etc. The sound was on and we were trying to watch the news. I asked the Old Boy if we had some headphones she could use. While he was hunting for some I found the earphones that came with her MP3 player, and plugged them into the headphone jack (they fitted okay) on the front of the PC. The sound disappeared - I assumed it was now coming through headphones. But no, no sound from them and no sound at all from the PC ever since. Any ideas, anyone? Ta.

Renmoo
29-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Faulty headphone was the first thing that came to my mind. You can try plugging the speakers to the front to double check that the fault lies with the headphone.

Cheers :)

(Sings: I am a barbie girl....)

wainuitech
29-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Whats the OS, XP or vista ?

Sound setting are different in both OS's

k8smum
29-08-2008, 06:15 PM
XP Pro. No, the headphones are fine.

wainuitech
29-08-2008, 07:54 PM
First check the Audio Drivers are still in place, Click on start / control Panel (on the right), - double click Sounds and Audio Devices / Audio Tab, under Sound Playback / Audio Device make sure the Audio device, is selected, Something that looks like This here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Sound.jpg) - your drivers may be different.

If the drivers are present, Go to the Sounds Tab, What is the sound theme ?

Under Program Events Scroll down till you locate " Exit Windows" You should see This (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Exit.jpg) - click on the arrow and you should get the shut down sound.

If the drivers are there, also ,make sure nothing is Muted in the Icon Bar next to the clock, - Double click the speaker thats there to open and make sure volume control is not muted or the level turned right down.

k8smum
29-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I checked all those things in the control panel. The default device shows as SB Audigy 2ZS Audio (DC80). Scrolling down to Exit Windows under the Sounds tab results in what you describe, but there is no sound when I click the black test arrow. In fact the PC reports "Unable to change the sound device to your selected device". There is some noise (sort of an electric hum - not loud) coming from the speakers but I can only hear it if I have the volume on the monitor turned right up, as well as the volume on the keyboard. None of the PC sound settings are muted. Is it possible that something might have been disconnected or knocked out of place when I poked the headphone jack into the PC? It just seems a bit of a weird coincidence that the PC chose that moment to stop producing any sound at all.

the_bogan
29-08-2008, 09:39 PM
The hum makes it sound like you plugged into the wrong jack.

The speaker jack points are usually green, arent they?

I'm assuming you have restarted the machine?

k8smum
29-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm no expert but I do know how to set PC speakers up. The fact is, prior to plugging the MP3 player headphones into the PC there was sound coming out of all the speakers. It has been working for for months and months. The speaker placement/configuration/connections have not been interfered with. The PC just stopped producing any sound for no apparent reason. Should I start worrying about having to get a new sound card?

Trev
29-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS and the default device in my control panel is SB Audigy 2ZS Audio [CF00].
:)

DeSade
30-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Go into your control panel and find your installed sound card under add/remove hardware and uninstall it.

Reboot and let windows find and reinstall it, you may have to download and apply the latest Creative drivers for it but this has a good chance of solving the problem.

Trev
30-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Double click on the speaker icon in your task bar to bring up the volume panel and make sure the sound has not been accidently muted.

If you go to this page http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=205&prodID=4915&prodName=Audigy%202%20ZS&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster and scroll to the bottom and select automatically update drivers it well scan your system to see what new drivers you need if any.
They also have technical support where you fill out a form with your problem.

feersumendjinn
30-08-2008, 12:07 PM
If you plugged them in while the computer was running, it may well have damaged the sound card (personally I always turn it off first (only USB is hot-pluggable (usually, there are exceptions))).
Is the audio integrated on the motherboard or a separate card, if integrated (what brand/version motherboard do you have?) it may have done some port-sensing thing and gotten it wrong. Look for a second speaker/sound icon on the righthand side of your taskbar, this may give you access (and finer control) to the Creative card driver and input/output settings/properties.
Also could be a switched socket (turns off external speakers when you plug headphones in) thats got dust stuck in the contacts, though this is unlikely as most computers wont have this.

Trev
30-08-2008, 12:16 PM
If you plugged them in while the computer was running, it may well have damaged the sound card (personally I always turn it off first (only USB is hot-pluggable (usually, there are exceptions))).
Is the audio integrated on the motherboard or a separate card, if integrated (what brand/version motherboard do you have?) it may have done some port-sensing thing and gotten it wrong. Look for a second speaker/sound icon on the righthand side of your taskbar, this may give you access (and finer control) to the Creative card driver and input/output settings/properties.
Also could be a switched socket (turns off external speakers when you plug headphones in) thats got dust stuck in the contacts, though this is unlikely as most computers wont have this.

She has an Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS sound card like I have. Read some of the previous posts.

feersumendjinn
30-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Bite me Trev!
I was just covering any possibilities :groan:
So unless you've something constructive to say........

Trev
30-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Bite me Trev!
I was just covering any possibilities :groan:
So unless you've something constructive to say........
I sure well.

feersumendjinn
30-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Further to my post earlier, when talking about your cards properties.

Look for a second speaker/sound icon on the righthand side of your taskbar, this may give you access (and finer control) to the Creative card driver and input/output settings/properties.
This (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Mutehp.jpg) is in Vista (you may have something similar in your Creative card's properties page/s (this is in addition to your Windows sound properties)).

k8smum
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi there
The problem with my PC has been cleared up by uninstalling the soundcard and reinstalling it. All okay now, except the speaker configuration setup/test in Creative doesn't work anymore. Never mind though, at least we're getting sound through all five speakers now. Thanks all. Cheers.

feersumendjinn
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Cool :)