PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2 Freeview set top boxes.

d_wong
29-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Has anyone tried connecting 2 (Freeview) set top boxes so you can watch one channel while recording another at the same time? Is it difficult? Currrently I have a set top box for Freeview connected to a LCD TV via component video cables. My HDD recorder (way better than the old clunky VCR) is connected to the TV via HDMI cable. Like to hear you thoughts/tips & experiences.

Cheers

GR8Metal
29-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi d wong,
My mate CYaBro (who is an experienced member of PressF1 forum) and I setup for a client of mine, a Vista Ultimate entertainment PC which had 2x hauppauge capture cards with 2x sky decoders connected. He can record 1 channel and watch another. Not sure if the 2x freeview devices will be able to work in the same way. Will let CYaBro know about your post to see if he can shed some light.

CYaBro
29-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi d wong,
My mate CYaBro (who is an experienced member of PressF1 forum) and I setup for a client of mine, a Vista Ultimate entertainment PC which had 2x hauppauge capture cards with 2x sky decoders connected. He can record 1 channel and watch another. Not sure if the 2x freeview devices will be able to work in the same way. Will let CYaBro know about your post to see if he can shed some light.

It work with no problems but I think d wong wants to use their existing HDD recorder rather than a HTPC.

d wong what you want to do shouldn't be a problem unles you are talking about the FreeviewHD STBs?
You could still do it but you won't be recording in HD to the HDD recorder.

GR8Metal
29-08-2008, 05:04 PM
It work with no problems but I think d wong wants to use their existing HDD recorder rather than a HTPC.

Yeah, but the HTPC system with 2x hauppauge cards and 2x decoders works so well! :)

tweak'e
29-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Has anyone tried connecting 2 (Freeview) set top boxes so you can watch one channel while recording another at the same time? Is it difficult? Currrently I have a set top box for Freeview connected to a LCD TV via component video cables. My HDD recorder (way better than the old clunky VCR) is connected to the TV via HDMI cable. Like to hear you thoughts/tips & experiences.

Cheers

just fit a splitter on the sat line. output of one settop box goes to tv and the other to video. fairly simple, just makes sure you get a sat rated splitter that can pass power on both ports.
if for some reason you pics start playing up after fitting splitter, you may be low on signal and need a booster.